• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Overtakes NVIDIA In GPU Market Share For The First Time Since Q3 2014 – Jon Peddie Research

Soldato
Can someone tell me why this actually matters to anyone other than shareholders?

Competition. Imagine there was only one brand of car to buy from, do you think they'd innovate as much?

AMD overtaking NVIDIA is excellent news, it would be great if the next few AMD cards completely dominate NVIDIA in all areas, as it would encourage development, competition and fair prices.

It's only those financially or emotionally invested in NVIDIA (most of who I have on my ignore list) who will furiously contest this news as if it's a personal attack on them :p

Soldato
Competition. Imagine there was only one brand of car to buy from, do you think they'd innovate as much?

AMD overtaking NVIDIA is excellent news, it would be great if the next few AMD cards completely dominate NVIDIA in all areas, as it would encourage development, competition and fair prices.

It's only those financially or emotionally invested in NVIDIA (most of who I have on my ignore list) who will furiously contest this news as if it's a personal attack on them :p

+1 it matters because AMD are on the up. More sales means more cash towards r and d which hopefully equates to more competition which in turn could lead to lower prices. Amd getting stronger is what we all should want so I like to see this. Take away apu's and I bet it still looks pretty bad with intel hitting the floor, and staying still and Nvidia rocketing up to where Intel are.

Associate
its good for AMD yes, but until they start hitting the top end (2080ti) levels they are going to lag behind in quite a few sales. If they can bring out a current gen nvidia killer, for a lower price they will have a full win, But my guess is even the next navi will only keep up with 2080ti and by then nvidia will be ahead again. Market share is great but for those who want the fastest they have a way to go

Soldato
And it's threads going full on retard like this one that keeps me from being more involved on the forum

For god sake it's always good to see an underdog doing well. Especially in a 2 horse race And taking a bite out of Nvidia keeps them honest and for all our sakes and the sake of our wallets I would dearly hope to see Intel do something in the GPU market. Nvidia and AMD both make decent cards now if they want to go toe to toe with each other and make even better cards and sell them to us for less that's a win win. A strong AMD means a Strong Nvidia showing better cards for less money.

Forget team red or team green we should be rooting for team blue to come out with something to slap the taste out both their mouths and get all those engineers back to the drawing board and innovating

Soldato
to be fair to wccf, they didn't come up with this headline as with most of their articles they just copy pasted it from Toms Hardware (as did Forbes, techtown, extremetech etc.)
funnily yahoo tech copied the same headline basically, where as yahoo finance went with "AMD Gains Graphics Card Market Share, but Is Still a Distant Second to NVIDIA"

I think the problem is that JPR produce 2 reports each quarter referencing "GPU's", one which includes APU's and one that only talks about discrete. This forum is so used to "GPU" meaning "Graphics Card" that every 3 months they see someone talking about the "GPU" report and go in to meltdown because clickbait websites report it like its talking about graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom