Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2019, Spa-Francorchamps - Race 13/21

Rate the 2019 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I'm looking at the video and I see only two cars involved.

I see the pink car losing it and then getting speared by the white car. What was the involvement of the third?

That corner has been a crash magnet for years.

With the greatest respect Quartz and I know you've put it in a spoiler but please edit your post and remove it. That was absolutely horrific. **** me. Christ :(:eek:

Transmission breaker
Don
It looks like (from the report I have seen) that cars were avoiding the spinning Alesi, Hubert hit the wall for some reason and was hit by the other car after coming back out towards the track.

Secondary impacts are so very dangerous.

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like (from the report I have seen) that cars were avoiding the spinning Alesi, Hubert hit the wall for some reason and was hit by the other car after coming back out towards the track.

The video from the stand shows him getting hit right in the side of the cockpit at high speed after bouncing off the wall. Horrible.

Man of Honour
Sky Box didn't record the F2, and as I was painting I didn't get to see it. Had a notification pop up and checked the news. Wow.... :(
Have watched the 2 angles available on youtube. It's about as horrific an accident as I've seen in a long time. :eek: :eek: :(

R.I.P. Hubert.

As to Alesi, he had a right rear puncture in the pitlane. So there may have been contact at some point with someone. The Pirelli guys were busy wrapping his tyre in a red plastic bag.

Permabanned
RIP Antoine Hubert :(

That place on the circuit is extremely dangerous. Had his car not bounced off the wall like a ball and returned on the track on the racing line, he would have been alive and well.
That safety zone around Le Raidillon.... de l'Eau Rouge must be widened and shock absorbing walls must be installed.

WTH do the Belgium organisers think?

Soldato
Just goes to show how dangerous motorsport is and will always be regardless of the safety measures introduced. I know we always say and hear that drivers of yesteryear were the real stuff of legend and the guys these days have it easy but they are still legends for doing what they do. Of course safety has moved on but this crash today continues to show us how the danger is always there regardless and not everything can be mitigated. Just look at Alonso's incidents here over the years, slightly different car angles etc and it could have so easily been much more serious outcomes.

RIP Hubert

Back
Top Bottom