Lots of electrical components

Associate
Generally not a bad source for like general purpose - I bought a 1% metal film pack from a random far east Amazon seller out of curiosity and they seem like factory seconds - more like 3% accuracy over testing a dozen of them but otherwise don't seem to be a problem - no duds so far - so fine for little hobby projects, etc. but for audio use (or anything where you need good precision with small signals, etc.) I'd definitely buy from somewhere like Farnell.

tbh I by dud I was being more generic, in terms of away from spec/fake branded parts etc as well as just non-functional. If they're generally 3%, I'd have expected them to be marked as 5% and sold on normally, rather than being a factory second (unless something else is not to spec). For the majority of DIY uses though, a "not quite to spec" component will probably still be fine, but when you're looking more specific, then it becomes more important.

Man of Honour
tbh I by dud I was being more generic, in terms of away from spec/fake branded parts etc as well as just non-functional. If they're generally 3%, I'd have expected them to be marked as 5% and sold on normally, rather than being a factory second (unless something else is not to spec). For the majority of DIY uses though, a "not quite to spec" component will probably still be fine, but when you're looking more specific, then it becomes more important.

I suspect things like voltage/current noise are also somewhat out of spec but I'm not setup to thoroughly test stuff like that.

Caporegime
I'd avoid ebay, etc. (unless brand name) for audio projects - I built an amp once using generic metal film resistors, etc. off ebay and Amazon 3rd parties and the noise floor was atrocious.

Tbf, if someone isn't willing to spend the pitiful amount for a minimum order of resistors then quality is clearly not what they are after.

Soldato
Just pop into your local Mapli......... Oh :(

Whilst they were garbage at trying to out do online sellers of generic "tech", they were very handy for selling actual electronic components so I do miss that single aspect of their company.

Soldato
OP
This is who I was going to suggest. Also, Rapid Online (I'm within driving distance of their trade counter which is really handy).

Nice. I’ve actually been finding almost everything on there, and the other bits on eBay. It’s taking me ages though as I don’t fully understand what I’m looking at. Oh well!

Just pop into your local Mapli......... Oh :(

Whilst they were garbage at trying to out do online sellers of generic "tech", they were very handy for selling actual electronic components so I do miss that single aspect of their company.

Yeah pretty sad actually! It would have been a lot easier for me to go to Maplin.

Soldato
I've also used Bitsbox in the past, specifically when I wanted just one or two specific resistors which I'd not ever need in 50s or 100s.

More lately I'd use Farnell or CPC, but it's been a few years since I've been doing electronics stuff.

Soldato
We've still got a shop where an old man has old wooden storage units and stuff packed everywhere he can fit it.

I love those places, I went in the other week for the bits and bobs to build an Arduino driven cupboard light with my daughter and read out my list of components as he rummaged through drawers finding resistors etc that only he would have been able to find.

Soldato
I'd also second Rapid Electronics as suggested by @Feek , had good servcie form them over teh years, also it feels like they cater more to the hobbyist/student, whereas RS would generally tend more towards industry

Back
Top Bottom