Would you sacrifice yourself for the nation?

Associate
OP
How would you be laying your life down to benefit the nation financially - are you currently a massive drain on resources?

It seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest you were laying your life down in the first place in that situation. The thread title seems to imply something related to the military, not some random brief confrontation in the street.

Armed military combat is the military potentially dying to save us from takeover by another nation

Unarmed civilian combat is potentially dying on the street to save your countrymen and nation from a criminal takeover by armed drug barons etc. through a random/planned encounter

I have more respect for the latter, as it is not funded and not trained for. It is a true test of mettle.

If you stop a crazed bomber from blowing up the stock exchange but die in the process, you have done this for your own countrymen, not because you wanted a discount on your Apple shares, but the financial impact of your actions will benefit the nation.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Um..

We are talking about an arguement/aggression between two people, I don't see that anywhere in this scenario the "nation" is at risk.
I also don't see how I would be "laying down my life"

This whole thread is weird.

You perhaps missed the point. What if a 3rd person intervened to stop the argument and was killed. If it was a police officer, then the officer would be commended as killed in the line of duty helping to protect the nation, but if poor old me was killed, you would not even blink an eye even if by this action, the perpetrator was caught and this stopped it happening to someone else :(

Caporegime
Armed military combat is the military potentially dying to save us from takeover by another nation

Unarmed civilian combat is potentially dying on the street to save your countrymen and nation from a criminal takeover by armed drug barons etc. through a random/planned encounter

I have more respect for the latter, as it is not funded and not trained for. It is a true test of mettle.

If you stop a crazed bomber from blowing up the stock exchange but die in the process, you have done this for your own countrymen, not because you wanted a discount on your Apple shares, but the financial impact of your actions will benefit the nation.

What does that have to do with either the situation in the OP or the question I asked?

Associate
OP
What does that have to do with either the situation in the OP or the question I asked?

By helping protect the streets, you are a small cog in society helping to better the nation and if you happen to get killed in the line of this civic duty, will you be mourned by the nation? Therefore, Is it worth potentially putting your life on the line? Or better just leave it to the cops. That was the OP.

Soldato
Once upon a time I’d have done something.

Now I have too many responsibilities and people that depend on me, and I’m a grown up :p

Unless the person was in obvious and immediate danger, I’d have done exactly the same thing you did.

Caporegime
By helping protect the streets, you are a small cog in society helping to better the nation and if you happen to get killed in the line of this civic duty, will you be mourned by the nation? Therefore, Is it worth potentially putting your life on the line? Or better just leave it to the cops. That was the OP.

But that again doesn’t answer the question about the nonsense you posted earlier re: financially bettering the nation? Why would the nation be financially better off with you dead?

the OP seems to be an account of you seeing a man shout at a woman in a car and then do relatively little - I don't see what it has to do with sacrificing yourself/bettering the nation financially or the rather silly comparison to military service. It doesn't take much to call the police or to tell someone to stop/tell them you'll call the police.

Soldato
This thread has gone a bit extreme from the someone shouting for someone else to get out of their car.

I'm all for doing your bit, but it's not avoiding doing your bit by not responding to a situation that needs no response.

Associate
OP
Once upon a time I’d have done something.

Now I have too many responsibilities and people that depend on me, and I’m a grown up :p

Unless the person was in obvious and immediate danger, I’d have done exactly the same thing you did.

Great stuff :p Legend m8, legend.

Associate
OP
But that again doesn’t answer the question about the nonsense you posted earlier re: financially bettering the nation? Why would the nation be financially better off with you dead?

the OP seems to be an account of you seeing a man shout at a woman in a car and then do relatively little - I don't see what it has to do with sacrificing yourself/bettering the nation financially or the rather silly comparison to military service. It doesn't take much to call the police or to tell someone to stop/tell them you'll call the police.

I meant if it turned sour, imagine if the police were called and then he pulled a knife on the passenger. And let’s say I stepped in but failed to disarm the offender, and am lying in a pool of blood after being stabbed later dying the next day. The nation would be far worse off without me contributing to the economy and the offender (now caught in the example) would be a drain on HM’s Services. Therefore I would have sacrificed myself in the service of society and nation for a completely random person. The reason I mention the military and police is because they are trained and paid to do jobs of this nature, I am not, but I would probably not receive the honour they would in the line of duty :)

Caporegime
I meant if it turned sour, imagine if the police were called and then he pulled a knife on the passenger. And let’s say I stepped in but failed to disarm the offender, and am lying in a pool of blood after being stabbed later dying the next day. The nation would be far worse off without me contributing to the economy and the offender (now caught in the example) would be a drain on HM’s Services. Therefore I would have sacrificed myself in the service of society and nation for a completely random person. The reason I mention the military and police is because they are trained and paid to do jobs of this nature, I am not, but I would probably not receive the honour they would in the line of duty :)

I think you're considering a rather improbable event tbh... if he'd pulled a knife on the passenger then I'd try and avoid getting stabbed if I were you... you can obviously call the police immediately and of course bang on the car/try to get him to stop etc.. but if the guy is massive and armed with a knife... and you're unarmed then you're more than likely going to come off worse.

Associate
OP
I think you're considering a rather improbable event tbh... if he'd pulled a knife on the passenger then I'd try and avoid getting stabbed if I were you... you can obviously call the police immediately and of course bang on the car/try to get him to stop etc.. but if the guy is massive and armed with a knife... and you're unarmed then you're more than likely going to come off worse.

Correct, hence the point of the thread.

Caporegime
From the MET page on ASB, it's entirely relative.

"Heated" lol. Sounds like every meeting I've ever been to at the council, I would never been off the phone with 999 if I used such a low threshold to determine whether to call emergency services or not.

This is the bread and butter of the majority of DV related calls to the police. Whether it's in the street or neighbours hearing rowing couples. Sometimes it's how the police intervene in serious domestic abuse, sometimes it's not, but this is often how the police will get involved.

Shame to hear that precious tax money is being squandered on such frivolous call outs.

It often takes a lot of work to get a proper disclosure from people who are incredibly frightened

This is what social services are for.

Saw a heavily built man and woman in a car today screaming for her to get out at the top of his lungs and revving the engine, the car was also shaking but could not see anything physical. He then jumped out and shouted some more, stared at me and walked towards me then stopped at about 5 metres. He then jumped in the car and drove off before I had time to memorise the plate fully. Reported to the police in any case.

Should I have done more to challenge him in a quiet street, and potentially risk being shanked/beaten to a pulp risking potential death by a random stranger, or in this day and age is it ok to turn down a challenge for the sake of your family and children to live another day.

What would you do in similar circumstances? Fight or flight?

Fight someone because they revved their car engine lol, what is this, fight club?

Maybe you should have dragged her out of the car for provoking an argument by remaining in his car when he told her to get out?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shame to hear that precious tax money is being squandered on such frivolous call outs.

This is what social services are for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49451745

Charlie, who works for a local authority, says in one case, seven police officers accompanied him to the house of a teenage gang member after he beat up his stepfather.

He says: "[Police] said the teenager's history of violence was genuinely dangerous.

"This was a house I had been going to about five times at that point, always unannounced, and I continued to go in alone afterwards."

His colleagues have faced worse abuse, he says, citing one who was beaten up by teenage clients in their office and then had to stay in hospital with their abusers.

He believes the negative misconceptions around social workers partly fuel the hostility towards him and his colleagues.

He says: "It's getting harder and harder to do my job. Nobody seems to care about the good we do or the risks we face."

This is more about child services, but i imagine it works to generalise across the spectrum of domestic issues, though i'll be honest, i don't actually know how a social worker deals with abusive relationships, i mean you've basically admitted at that point there's a problem. So why disparage the police for dealing with it when the government wont fund other programs?

I believe you're being disingenuous or simply have no idea the difficulty that these people face with little support and seemingly less respect. If the police have to waste their time in 50 callouts that are calm by the time they get there to get to the 10-20 callouts that are obviously ongoing, that's worth it to me. (I don't know that percentage of calls that are genuinely active, i wouldn't go as far as to say all calls are fake or whatever, as maybe there is still abuse going on that the police at the time of contact can't contextualise in a report, it might give the abuser some food for thought)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fight someone because they revved their car engine lol, what is this, fight club?

Maybe you should have dragged her out of the car for provoking an argument by remaining in his car when he told her to get out?

Haha, good movie btw.

I suppose a better question would be under what circumstances exactly would you step in to any situation of a random stranger knowing that it could be your your last day as a mortal on earth for the benefit of society and to better the nation?

Soldato
Haha, good movie btw.

I suppose a better question would be under what circumstances exactly would you step in to any situation of a random stranger knowing that it could be your your last day as a mortal on earth for the benefit of society and to better the nation?

If you keep posting this nonsense, I suggest we remove you for the benefit of this society.

The cost benefit of me, a tier 1 citizen dying to redress a wrong from a tier 2 or below citizen is negative therefore it wouldn’t be worth doing.

Permabanned
sacrifice in a war? I guess. It depends on the nature of such a conflict.
Iraq? no.
WWII? yes.
WWI? maybe.
A colonial war like Zulu or the Sepoy Mutiny? I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom