DIY NAS / Plex server

Soldato
DOA sucks, but it happens, go via the retailer and they’ll replace it with a new drive rather than the OEM who is likely to send a refurb.

Strangely enough before WD etc. decided the retail NAS/server market existed, those of us running multi-drive set-up’s managed just fine. I’ve used NAS drives and the failure rate isn’t vastly lower than it has been for the last 20 years (excluding notable OEM manufacturing issues eg the DeathStar’s etc.).

Cache can be added afterwards, it’s great for docker/VM/cache usage and anything that requires regular writes that would normally cause multiple drives to spin up long term (save power/noise/heat).

Soldato
OP
Yeah, have started the RMA process, the BH weekend is holding things up a bit. It is slightly annoying that in the last 10 years out of the 3 HDD 3.5inch drives I have bought 2 have been DOA. I guess I am just unlucky with them. The other drive precleared without issue.

I have manged to get encryption set up on the working drive so if it does die within warranty I don't have to worry about the data on it when returning it for RMA.

Soldato
OP
Anyone got any recommendations on automated backup software?

I normally just copy the files across manually but I'm looking for something that will make life a bit easier than having to manually compare and move across files.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations on automated backup software

If you’re using Windows clients and UnRaid then you could give the urBackup docker a go https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82198-support-binhex-urbackup/ although I just use Veeam as it’s so easy and store the images on an Unraid share. For a Mac watch SpaceInvaderOne’s more recent videos on setting up a time machine share on Unraid which now works after years of being hit and miss.

Back
Top Bottom