**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

NVP

NVP

Soldato
When I had them on my e46 the dry grip and feedback was second to none. Of course tyres like that aren't meant for the wet, in the dry only slicks would have been stickier

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I guess I didn't try anything better then... :confused:

Edit: Review from way back when...
On our dry handling track, the crisp handling of the Potenza RE050A received good marks by our team, and felt responsive and easy to drive. The Potenza RE050A did not offer quite as much lateral grip around the skid pad as the other two Max Performance tires, however.

Under wet conditions, the Potenza RE050A again felt very responsive, and was easy to drive. It again did not have quite as much wet grip as the other two Max Performance tires in this test, finishing a close third for average overall lap time.
clicky

I stand corrected. Did me right on the road :)

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Another TR1 update, I remain impressed by the wet and dry grip they offer for the money, however the fronts have worn down to about 4MM after just 7K miles. I guess spirited driving in a nose heavy FWD turbo car hasn't helped but thay does seem pretty fast wear to me.

Still for the price I'm not sure I can complain.
What is the car?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Who was it that had the soarer on this forum? Don't recall if it was the v8 but I think the latest gen Lexus convertible version has a nice v8 too

Caporegime
The RE050A was mediocre back in 2005 or so when they were new. Nowadays they are absolute crap. The dry weather performance and feedback they gave was good. As soon as the road became a little bit damp though, they turned into ditch finders.

Agreed, my Fiesta had them as standard fit and anything more than a gentle squeeze of throttle in the damp had the traction control light flashing. Ride quality was nasty, they're loud and only good on smooth surfaces. Feedback was only good because the sidewalls were like concrete.

Since I swapped them to Conti Premium Contact 6, not even a performance tyre really and dry/wet grip is much better and so is ride quality.

Soldato
Is there an easy way of telling apart different generations of tyres?

The new P Zero from Pirelli seems to be getting good test results (topped both Evo and Auto Bild 2019 tests) but when you go tyre shopping, I've no idea how to tell it apart from the old ones which didn't get similar results.

Reviews call them PZ4 but tyre shops seemingly don't, just P Zero.

Underboss
MOT today

need to some new tires on the front, winter on its way need new ones before it hits

currently got Dunlop Blu Response tires, been very happy with them, got 2 new ones fitted this year (or last, cant remember) and still have plenty of tread

Looking here for ideas :
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

P Zeros are a track Tyre aren't they ?

Not pitted against my Dunlops here, so i have no idea how they perform up against these OR the Pilot Sport 4's which im looking at getting (or Cross Climate+)

any ideas?

205/50/17 - Ford Focus

Soldato
Unsurprisingly my C63 rears have been eaten through!

At the moment they have MPS4 on all four. Just need rears doing and seems that no where has the PS4 in stock. Seen MPSS but I thought they didn't make them in 18's. Tyres are 255/35/R18. Read that Pzeros are best avoided but people recommending Yokohama, GY Asymmetric and Conti's? Doesn't seem to be any general concensus. Any recommendations.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Unsurprisingly my C63 rears have been eaten through!

At the moment they have MPS4 on all four. Just need rears doing and seems that no where has the PS4 in stock. Seen MPSS but I thought they didn't make them in 18's. Tyres are 255/35/R18. Read that Pzeros are best avoided but people recommending Yokohama, GY Asymmetric and Conti's? Doesn't seem to be any general concensus. Any recommendations.
Michelins last the longest by far, so that's where my money would go. However, are you a burnout/drift king in your C63? In that case, it might be worth buying cheap and buying often ;)

Soldato
Michelins last the longest by far, so that's where my money would go. However, are you a burnout/drift king in your C63? In that case, it might be worth buying cheap and buying often ;)

Haha. Yes, plenty of burnouts in the local maccy d's car park! ;)

Still have a few mm but MPSS it is then. Have been debating whether it'd be worth getting a winter set but seems pointless for those handful of days we get a sprinkle of snow. Managed fine in my E46 for over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom