Anyone stocking up on canned food etc.. Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It won't matter because we've been reliably informed by sensible non-hysterical remainers prior to the referendum that Brexit will lead to WW3, what use is a stockpile of food when an atom bomb hits?
If they intend to drop a bomb, they should wait for next summer, then. When the usual people who visit Spain or Greece for a cheap holiday, will be either at Brighton or Blackpool.

Soldato
The key thing is, though, once the UK government is responsible for agriculture subsidies, these will be another government cost to cut, which, if it ends up putting farmers out of business, will mean you might HAVE to buy the U.S produce in some situations.

Also - if you buy any ready made meal, you'll notice that some have Thai chicken in, despite being made in the UK. There's a good chance "USDA chicken" could end up in there as well.

Soldato
The key thing is, though, once the UK government is responsible for agriculture subsidies, these will be another government cost to cut, which, if it ends up putting farmers out of business, will mean you might HAVE to buy the U.S produce in some situations.

Also - if you buy any ready made meal, you'll notice that some have Thai chicken in, despite being made in the UK. There's a good chance "USDA chicken" could end up in there as well.
Why? Why not just go to your local butcher only? Why not cut down your meat intake?

Caporegime

At some point you have to blame the consumer as well.

Many people have become accustomed to buying the cheapest food no matter the cost to the environment. A whole chicken for £2, for Pete's sake.

They could support local producers but they don't want to spend more than £1 for that 4pint of milk.

Often the same people will be wasting money on utter crap. Fags, expensive haircuts, nights out, you name it.

We just have our priorities utterly screwed up after years of being force-fed unchecked consumerism.

Brexit isn't the root cause of all evil. Collectively we've been on a downward trend for years. We're becoming dumber and more and more enslaved to buying crap we don't need, whilst cutting corners and standards in the stuff we *do* need, like healthy food. Or quality housing. Or many other things.

Man of Honour

Interesting note there that if waiting times did become significantly increased some freight companies and suppliers might simply look for alternative markets and abandon the UK even without an initial shock shortage as such if the processing times became too high. Ultimately money talks which might drive that but may also mean that other companies (usually lower quality and less reputable) look to exploit the opening left.

Soldato
Associate
If these predictions come true it will be the end of the union. The union might survive if only a few select foods are unavailable but if there are more widespread food shortages and especially if there are medicine shortages, the YES vote in Scotland will reach 60%+.

@RoboCod

We would continue to enjoy cheap and exotic food if we had remained in the EU. A majority of us Scots knew which side our bread was buttered.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guess we'll have to eat less exotic imported food.

"Exotic" food like tomatoes and broccoli? You make it sound like Brits are chowing down on guava and dragon fruit every day. We're not. We rely on imports to ensure supply of everyday staples throughout the year. November also happens to be one of the times we import the most.

Soldato
We would continue to enjoy cheap and exotic food if we had remained in the EU.

But is it right and sustainable to do so?

"Exotic" food like tomatoes and broccoli? You make it sound like Brits are chowing down on guava and dragon fruit every day. We're not. We rely on imports to ensure supply of everyday staples throughout the year. November also happens to be one of the times we import the most.

Well yes, if tomatoes and broccoli cannot be grown here in the UK then they can rightfully be classed as exotic (or luxury, if you may). Therefore perhaps we should look to more sustainable diets, much like I think we shouldn't expect cheap meat on our plates everyday. It's just not sustainable.

Associate
Don't mind me i'll just be here imagining the reactions if Brexit had never been a thing but for some reason the EU passed a regulation that meant we'd have access to less fresh food and medicine.

I doubt many people would suddenly be turning into environmentalists to suit their agenda

Soldato
Don't mind me i'll just be here imagining the reactions if Brexit had never been a thing but for some reason the EU passed a regulation that meant we'd have access to less fresh food and medicine.

I doubt many people would suddenly be turning into environmentalists to suit their agenda
Well of course that would be a completely different situation and it's a strawman point. Mind you, if that was the case, we'd do the same thing and look to more sustainable diets. Are you old enough to remember when we didn't or couldn't eat mangos, avacodo and such everyday?

Associate

Exactly.

Trying to turn the fact that the Tories are forcing through a no deal brexit that has a good chance of leading to food and medicine shortages into a pro environmental argument and that it will be good for us will certainly not wash up here in Scotland.

Soldato
Well of course that would be a completely different situation and it's a strawman point. Mind you, if that was the case, we'd do the same thing and look to more sustainable diets. Are you old enough to remember when we didn't or couldn't eat mangos, avacodo and such everyday?
Ah yes, because that’s what the leave campaign were advocating — a return to the 1950s. :rolleyes:

E: typo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? Why not just go to your local butcher only? Why not cut down your meat intake?

Not many good old time butchers left. All the butcher shops in my town that are left all use the "Take any 10 trays for a fiver" model. No actual meat counter where you can buy the amount you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom