Moving to Amsterdam, recommendations for a place to stay?

Associate
I am planning to move to Amsterdam within the next couple of months and have some decent job offers.

I am currently trying to find accommodation through Kamernet, but response rates are terrible. I need a place to stay for between 2-12 months I am relatively flexible and it will literally just be me, I will likely buy a place ASAP but need to move there and be earning a local income before that is possible.

Any recommendations on somewhere else to find a room in or around Amsterdam < 15 miles away from the centre? Budget isn't really an issue.

Can't type for toffee
Don
If budget isn't an issue then speak to a hotel and see if they can offer you some discount on a longer term stay?

I'd imagine most proper rental places would be like here 6/12/24 month minimum term rentals.
Your 2-12month scenario is a bit of a spread

Have you accepted any of these job offers already?
If so I'm sure your employer may be able to help also.

Caporegime
Hahaha tickled me!

How far is pumerand? That was a nice, quiet place compared with dams hustle. Golf course too :)

Purmerend*

OP: Zaandam, Amsterdam Sloterdijk, Amstelveen, Purmerend, Alkmaar, all relatively close. Depends what you want really, the smaller the town, the more dead it is on weekends. Personally I'm from Hoorn, which is hands down one of the most beautiful towns in Holland, it's a 40min train journey to Amsterdam each way. Tickets can get expensive. I can hook you up with some great dealers if you want, zero commission.

Have a look here:
https://www.wanderlustingk.com/travel-blog/hoorn

Great for fishing, swimming, boating, full of history (the Dutch East India Trading Company had a huge presence there, as well as Jan Van Riebeeck's sailing port, which is of huge significance to me as I am a Saffer from Holland, and I also refurbished the main defense tower years ago, anyway enough about me, how about you?).

Beautiful town.

V22bPoO.jpg

Associate
OP
Associate
mixed ..and bit strange as im looking to transfer back to the uk this year, purely family/personal reasons for this though.
dutchies are a strange bunch your enjoy it.

Associate
Funnily enough also planning to move there within the next year or so, the Netherlands, not the bulldog :D The better half is Dutch so will be staying with her family until can get a mortgage and hopefully exchange rates improve a little in the UK before selling up here.

I am planning to move to Amsterdam within the next couple of months and have some decent job offers.
Out of interest what field do you work in? How did you find the process of finding a job there - was language ever a barrier?

Are you planning on just using public transport? If so, then you've got a variety of options within 15 miles but it could get a bit pricey commuting every day.

Utrecht is a nice city, but that's a 30 minute train journey each way.

I'm told that travel expenses are typically provided by the employer as standard practise so may not be as big an issue. I know that my wife's family all have there travel paid for - three separate companies in different sectors.

Utrecht is a lovely city - quite fancy that one myself but most likely heading to Dordrecht as it's closer to family.

Back
Top Bottom