Anyone stocking up on canned food etc.. Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Which is easy to say but hard to do if country of origin is removed and I don't want to be forced to be a vegetarian thank you!

Plus I care for the UK farming industry and I don;t want to see half of them bankrupt replaced by factory farms with hormone fed beef and chlorine washed chicken thanks.

This may not bother you as you can clearly live of sovereignty and unicorn tears or you just eat crap already

Like these? In the uk

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....industrial-scale-beef-farming-comes-to-the-uk

Soldato
so tomatoes and lettuce are now "cheap exotic food"? Yes we could go back to the 50s and just eat whats in season and grown in the UK but some of us don't want that and why as the 5th largest economy in the world, would we want to?

Possibly to placate young Greta as she yachts around the world and to help reduce food miles. :p

Soldato
keep seeing everyone moan about usa chicken. Whats the actual problem with it
They have significantly lower food standards than the EU (and the UK) to the point where a lot of it would be classified unfit for animal consumption over here let alone human consumption. There's genuine fear that if the UK enters a trade deal and no longer has to meet EU standards then our government will sacrifice British standards just to get our foot in the US banking sector, thus flooding our market with unsafe US food.

i hope its not because its washed in chlorine
That's one of the (currently) banned practices they use to cut costs/corners yes.

Associate
''The coming winter was going to be a hard one and not because of the weather.
As England descends into economic chaos, sixteen-year-old Barry Mortimer's life turns upside down when his father moves the family from their cozy home in the city to a grim, brick mansion on the outskirts of town.''
''Noah's Castle (1975) tells the story of a family trying to survive during a total collapse of the British economy. Money is worthless, unemployment skyrockets, and food and other goods become scarce.''

He stockpiled up canned goods.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not everybody can afford quality meat from the local butcher though.......

That's my point. We've long been spoiled with cheap supermarket meat everyday. That isn't sustainable in a growing population.

so tomatoes and lettuce are now "cheap exotic food"? Yes we could go back to the 50s and just eat whats in season and grown in the UK but some of us don't want that and why as the 5th largest economy in the world, would we want to?

Again, that's a societal and attitude issue today: the sense of entitlement to something that really cannot be justified. I genuinely believe that in the not distant future we'll all be living on meal replacement type food like huel. Our demand for variety has diminished our perspective over the decades.

Your sarcastic comment summarises the whole view. It's absurd to you that things not usually grown in large quantities here in the UK could be considered exotic or luxury. The comment that we're the 5th largest economy is not relevant... why aren't we all driving around in high powered vehicles spunking co2 everywhere and flushing stuff we don't really need but indeed just want... Because well we can? We don't do that because we care about our environment, our pockets and the sustainability of our actions. If you think our consumption of luxury food is sustainable, go visit the 3rd world and tell them that. This isn't even a brexit related issue, it's an overpopulation issue met with a lack in technology to meet the demand.

Caporegime
Fine try and make it all nviron,metal grounds. Started to see that more and more from leavers now the reality of food shortages are appearing that it’s all fine as we all should be vegetarians and eat swedes and turnips all winter anyway.

Revisionism in its finest as I never saw any mention of that from the leave campaign

Soldato
Fine try and make it all nviron,metal grounds. Started to see that more and more from leavers now the reality of food shortages are appearing that it’s all fine as we all should be vegetarians and eat swedes and turnips all winter anyway.

Revisionism in its finest as I never saw any mention of that from the leave campaign
So basically the vegetables we (in general) stopped eating once immigrant vegetables like carrots and potatoes arrived here, well at least they're true to form xD

Associate
One of the upsides of being a compulsive hoarder is that my freezer stocks will last 2 months, let alone canned and pot foods.
I'm the kind of wack job that buys bog-roll and soft drinks by the pallet, so can ride out this "storm" until Christmas.

Permabanned
One of the upsides of being a compulsive hoarder is that my freezer stocks will last 2 months, let alone canned and pot foods.
I'm the kind of wack job that buys bog-roll and soft drinks by the pallet, so can ride out this "storm" until Christmas.

Well stocked freezers have limitations when the power goes off unless you have a generator. I mean, the power WILL be going off, won't it? It's probably because I don't watch too much TV I have not been made aware of this added no deal Brexit disaster in the offing... ;) I've not been on here for a bit, it seems the paranoia is rising exponentially :)

Soldato
Well stocked freezers have limitations when the power goes off unless you have a generator. I mean, the power WILL be going off, won't it? It's probably because I don't watch too much TV I have not been made aware of this added no deal Brexit disaster in the offing... ;) I've not been on here for a bit, it seems the paranoia is rising exponentially :)
Everything is being turned off on November the 1st apparantly, Water/Power/Food, nothing will be available and everyone will be murdering each other over Maoams and Haribos, apparantly. Or more likely it will be just another day and absolutely nothing will change in your day to day life.

Associate

They laughed at me when I bought my portable Gene.... Look at me now! :D that is a good point though, should go down and fill a jerry can for it.

In all seriousness though I do this sort of thing for reasons far beyond a mere Brexit. In my opinion it's just Y2K v2 electric bogaloo.

Soldato
They laughed at me when I bought my portable Gene.... Look at me now! :D that is a good point though, should go down and fill a jerry can for it.

In all seriousness though I do this sort of thing for reasons far beyond a mere Brexit. In my opinion it's just Y2K v2 electric bogaloo.

Running a generator will just attract all the looters would it not?

Soldato

A number of people on the stockpiling Facebook page have reported that they've lost hundreds of pounds of food because their freezers failed. Some of these people struggle to feed their kids at the best of time.

Remind me of the benefits while we have even temporary shortages in supply?

This thread isn't about the discussion of Brexit. It's about the stockpiling of food in anticipation of the cataclysmic effects of Brexit. FYI I didn't vote leave.

Soldato
More from the 48 preppers page:

This is a serious question

How will we cope with friends and relatives who ask us to give them food?

We’ve squirrelled away some food and other things to help us through the potential lean times ahead, but we know people who we care about who haven’t had that foresight, who haven’t seen the need. What do we say to them when they ask us for food?

How do we deal with that? What do we give them? How do we avoid giving away all our precious hoard without seeming like monsters?
That's right, should I feed my friends and family??

Just had a delivery and the driver said people are going mad buying. His last drop included 100 bottles of water!
Most of what I wanted to buy was unavailable.

Feel I may be too late to the game, worried!

Shock news that food shortages might actually be caused by people panic buying :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yep if a no deal Brexit doesn't cause a shortage then panic buying will, so it's win win either way for remoaners. Maybe even a double whammy.

Great for the supermarkets also, they should get a good pre-Christmas boost. The Facebook group was probably setup by a savvy supermarket marketing team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom