break fluid change how often?

Associate
Vacuum bleeder to (almost) empty the MC and fill it up with fresh fluid so you're not drawing a reservoir's worth of old fluid through the lines. Vacuum bleeder to draw fresh fluid through quickly, then finish with a gravity bleed. Gravity bleeding gives me the best pedal feel and while it takes a little bit of time to do, most of that time is just waiting for it to do its thing.

Soldato
Vacuum bleeder to (almost) empty the MC and fill it up with fresh fluid so you're not drawing a reservoir's worth of old fluid through the lines. Vacuum bleeder to draw fresh fluid through quickly, then finish with a gravity bleed. Gravity bleeding gives me the best pedal feel and while it takes a little bit of time to do, most of that time is just waiting for it to do its thing.

I'm hoping the oil extractor will do they job for me. It's very thin fluid so it should do. Just need a tight seal on the bleed nipple.

Soldato
My car was new in Feb 2019. Took out a three year service plan, A B then C service. The B service included brake fluid change and was done in Feb 2021. Took out a new three year service plan and it’s just been serviced, they’ve only done an A service and it’s been 2 years three months since the last brake fluid change.

Car has done 4750 miles, I’m really worried. Brakes seem fine. Should I get the brake fluid changed?

Caporegime
My car was new in Feb 2019. Took out a three year service plan, A B then C service. The B service included brake fluid change and was done in Feb 2021. Took out a new three year service plan and it’s just been serviced, they’ve only done an A service and it’s been 2 years three months since the last brake fluid change.

Car has done 4750 miles, I’m really worried. Brakes seem fine. Should I get the brake fluid changed?

2-3 years is the window, you can buy a brake fluid tester on amazon if you're really worried.

Sgarrista
Commissario
For standard brake fluids every 2-3 years is fine.

If you have something more performance based such as SRF, then ideally you should do it every 12 months to maintain the performance.

Caporegime
You could genuinely leave it 10 years and never have a problem if you're only driving it on the road, don't use any energy at all worrying about it.
Dangerous advice. The first time he brakes hard and his fluid boils because it’s full of water is gonna be fun.

OEMs recommend 2yr interval typically. So stick to that. (Yes 3yrs for the first usually)

Last edited:
Soldato
Dangerous advice. The first time he brakes hard and his fluid boils because it’s full of water is gonna be fun.

OEMs recommend 2yr interval typically. So stick to that. (Yes 3yrs for the first usually)

I know that could technically happen but what percentage of cars on the road do you actually think have brake fluid <2 years old in them? 10%, 20% at absolute most? We don't see cars spinning off into the hedges on every road because people have older brake fluid.

When I've used a tester on 5 year old fluid it was still showing as fine with less than 1% moisture, i think it's really overblown and just an easy money grab by the dealers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not going to worry about it too much, it will be changed under a B service this time next year although I may schedule it for February 2024 so it’s only three years since last one.

Just think of all the people who take out an A B C service plan who’ve only had an A or C service previously like me. First service under the plan is always an A.

Soldato
I know that could technically happen but what percentage of cars on the road do you actually think have brake fluid <2 years old in them? 10%, 20% at absolute most? We don't see cars spinning off into the hedges on every road because people have older brake fluid.

When I've used a tester on 5 year old fluid it was still showing as fine with less than 1% moisture, i think it's really overblown and just an easy money grab by the dealers.
The corrosion of the brake system increases, particularly in the caliper piston areas.

Soldato
You could genuinely leave it 10 years and never have a problem if you're only driving it on the road, don't use any energy at all worrying about it.

Yup.

Motorcycle is 20 years old, changed brake fluid once in the front system (separate brake systems) never on the rear.

Last car mitsubishi had it over 10 years, it was a few years old when I got that changed fluid once.

Mrs Fiesta us an 09 plate, changed once.

My Volvo is a 13 plate, I've never changed it, although I am going to this year.

All been fine.

Soldato
I've never done it on any vehicle or bike I've owned with the exception of one, where the dealer did it because I was trying to maintain service history. I'm not saying that's right. Just that... you ain't gonna die yo.

EDIT: Apart from mountain bikes, which I've had to do a fair few times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom