Returning to the UK - Manchester

Associate
So to live, on the South side look at Sale, Altrincham, Timperly, Chorlton, Didsbury. On the north side bits of Bolton and Bury are okay (Lostock / Ramsbottom / Horwich) and a reasonable commute.

Associate
Manchester city centre is a wonderful which is being trashed by the terrible counsellors specifically Pat Karney https://twitter.com/patkarney / Richard Leese https://twitter.com/sirrichardleese. Really nice buildings keep getting knocked down for large developments, dodgy payments happening all over the place and residents are largely ignored. Much of the city is being ruined for a variety of mad schemes, namely the Northern Quarter.
However it is a cool place to live, but the last few years its all dirty. I can rub my fingers on the window sils after leaving the window open for a day and have a finger full of black soot.

Avoid North Manchester ( Gorton / Blackley / Harperhey ), Salford is pretty cheap but also grimy.

Many bits of South Manchester can be nice, Chorlton and Didsbury but are crazy money ie 400k for a tiny terraced house in Didsbury isn't uncommon, flats in the city centre are 250k+ for a little 1 bed these days.

Moss Side, Whaley Range and Hulme are all rather soulless without much going on. Stretford and Sale are both quite pleasant places these days as are 'The Heatons' ( Heaton Chapel / Heaton Moor )

Going east you have Ashton, Levenshulme and Reddish which are all pretty awful. And further our Marple and Glossop and the Peak district is all quite pleasant.

Going west you have Eccles and Swinton which are pretty reasonably priced and quite nice these days.

Soldato
The hilarity of someone with their location set as London saying that :D
;)

In all seriousness I've been to Manchester once, years ago when I was at Uni. A group of 4-5 guys aged 19-20 we went to a gig. Half of us were southerners, and one from Manchester). We were endlessly taking the **** before we got there about getting beaten up if we opened our mouths etc. Well, as we went to enter the venue, I kid you not but a literal 12 year old in a tracksuit, on his own (!), chucked a can of Pepsi at us and starting mouthing off like he wanted a fight. We were so gobsmacked with the hilarity of it we didn't even know what to do and shuffled off into the gig, leaving the chav shouting at our backs. And that is my main memory of Manchester. Our Manc friend never lived that down :p

One evening in Manchester = being started on by a 12 year old. 10 years in London including working nights in the West End... absolutely sod-all *touches wood*

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You had a can thrown at you by a 12 year old and you didn't know what to do? Hahaha :D no wonder the country is in this state.

Associate
OP
Guys, this is awesome!
I will compile the areas and go from there. I am looking walking distance to Tram Lines as you guessed it, I have a job in the place people are not recommending for food (Piccadilly Gardens) but that is a hub for the trams. Guess I will just bring my packed lunch to work in my Thunderbirds lunchbox... Do you have any recommended rental agencies that would be worth a look at? I have been using RightMove which is good but because I'm shooting in the blind I get a lot of turn downs because I am applying overseas. Even had one turn me down this morning because I have no rental history in the UK for the past 6 months... REFERENCES I HAVE, FOR RENTAL PLACES THEY ARE! Thought references were universal...

Soldato
Rightmove is a great start, most of the agencies advertise on there. Salford quays is another area i'd consider, it's literally a 5-10 minute commute to the city centre, but slightly less expensive. Also, that's crazy, i used references from the UK to get our first rental here in NZ so it should work the other way too! Good luck.

Soldato
Guys, this is awesome!
I will compile the areas and go from there. I am looking walking distance to Tram Lines as you guessed it, I have a job in the place people are not recommending for food (Piccadilly Gardens) but that is a hub for the trams. Guess I will just bring my packed lunch to work in my Thunderbirds lunchbox... Do you have any recommended rental agencies that would be worth a look at? I have been using RightMove which is good but because I'm shooting in the blind I get a lot of turn downs because I am applying overseas. Even had one turn me down this morning because I have no rental history in the UK for the past 6 months... REFERENCES I HAVE, FOR RENTAL PLACES THEY ARE! Thought references were universal...

Don't worry about food! Picadilly gardens is right on the edge of the Northern Quarter with so many excellent food places you won't know where to begin!

Not sure about nowadays but when i rented in the city centre it was hard to get a rental because of demand. Every time i rang an agency it seemed it had gone!

Might be different now due to all the new developments though.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What would you do? Punch a 12 year old in the face? Have a good old northern scrap?
He threw a can at me. He'd get slapped one time to the floor. As he should :confused:

Question: If a little youth scratch your car doing stupid things on his bike and couldn't pay the damage what would you do?

Soldato
He threw a can at me. He'd get slapped one time to the floor. As he should :confused:
This kid was small. Slapping him to the floor with 3-4 other Uni-aged people crowding round wouldn't go down too well would it. He threw a can at us and was mouthing off. Our lives weren't in danger, lol. In fact we were baffled and laughing at him because it was just like "Wtf are you doing?". Had he stepped into our face or threw a punch himself then yeah maybe.. Hence we were just baffled what to do. I'm sure we weren't the first people to be mouthed off by "yoofs" too small for physical retribution, even though that's clearly all they deserved.

Soldato
This kid was small. Slapping him to the floor with 3-4 other Uni-aged people crowding round wouldn't go down too well would it. He threw a can at us and was mouthing off. Our lives weren't in danger, lol. In fact we were baffled and laughing at him because it was just like "Wtf are you doing?". Had he stepped into our face or threw a punch himself then yeah maybe.. Hence we were just baffled what to do. I'm sure we weren't the first people to be mouthed off by "yoofs" too small for physical retribution, even though that's clearly all they deserved.

Don't you know, up here we all just go around punching small children!

Soldato
I visited Manchester for the first time only last year. Really enjoyed it.
Great city. It's kinda a big city with a small city feel if that makes sense.

Having it sat between the peak district and the lakes is also a major bonus.

Back
Top Bottom