Neighbour Problems - Advice?

Soldato
Terrible situation to be in OP. You have my sympathy. I can’t add any more to the good advice you’ve already received but I really do think you need to involve the police again. Whether the police do anything or not is moot as a file will be/ should’ve been opened and it all counts. Videoing children Without permission is a serious issue.

I also think that given how long you’ve had to put up with this nonsense and the tenacity of your neighbours with their harassment, you’ll have to go to court to sort them out. CAB will advise where you stand. Remember that if you win you should be able to bill the neighbours for expenses. As I say, the CAB will fill in the blanks.

Soldato
The fence incident was when the kids were in the paddling pool but no cameras involved.

Since then they have admitted to recording us and our kids as we are coming, going and in our garden

@fartingspartan I like that idea.
You're not allowed to video your neighbours from private land - not sure if it's civil or criminal though. It's even more serious when it's kids, and i was suggesting the possibility of your kids being filmed while splashing around might be interesting information for any police reports.

Soldato
OP
You're not allowed to video your neighbours from private land - not sure if it's civil or criminal though. It's even more serious when it's kids, and i was suggesting the possibility of your kids being filmed while splashing around might be interesting information for any police reports.

With you. OK I'll check into the legality of it, I only really looked as far as CCTV previously but I guess handheld is somewhat more intentional. Reporting them videoing our kids in a paddling pool would very likely cause a visit and a full report and as daft as this sounds, they haven't admitted to "that" so wouldn't we be lying to the police to get our story heard?

My endgame here is a quiet life (if that is at all possible in any walk of life).

Soldato
With you. OK I'll check into the legality of it, I only really looked as far as CCTV previously but I guess handheld is somewhat more intentional. Reporting them videoing our kids in a paddling pool would very likely cause a visit and a full report and as daft as this sounds, they haven't admitted to "that" so wouldn't we be lying to the police to get our story heard?

My endgame here is a quiet life (if that is at all possible in any walk of life).
"They've said they've been videoing us coming and going and in our garden, and I'm worried about what they've got of our kids: they play in the pool out there and I'm really concerned about it"

You could clarify:
"I don't think they're paedo's or anything, but I don't know what they're doing with that footage"

Privacy and harassment laws
Article 8 of the Human Rights Act 1998 states that an individual has the right to respect for their private and family life, and of their home. This means that if your neighbour’s camera is overlooking your property and directly monitoring your activities, this is breaching your right to privacy. Likewise, if you suspect that your neighbours are using their cameras with audio record settings on, it can be deemed as invasive and in violation of your human rights. Such use of cameras could even be tantamount to harassment or voyeurism and be subject to legislation like the Harassment Act 1997.

Soldato
Getting the police involved will only spark off a war. I'd be worried what people like this will do next. Think I'd only sleep easy once I'd moved somewhere else.

Me and my partner live next door to some awful people. Dog outside at two in the morning barking it's head off. Asked politely if she could do anything about it and got shrieked at "not my problem, b****r off". Been very uneasy ever since.

We are moving soon, with this being a big reason. We want a bigger house too, but this has certainly expedited things.

Soldato
I am sure the problem with selling up and moving, is that you need to inform any potential buyers of any issues with neighbours where the police have been involved.

Soldato
Go to the police for harassment and eventual restraining order. Go to the council for anti-social behaviour. Keep a log as already suggested, and anything you get on video is always very impactful in these situations.

Soldato
OP
I am sure the problem with selling up and moving, is that you need to inform any potential buyers of any issues with neighbours where the police have been involved.

Correct. I think if there was an incident within the recent 5 years you have to declare it. I am trying to avoid this as involving the police would cause an incident and mean we are lowering the chances of us selling the house and making the situation tougher whilst we are here.

Associate
Cheap body Cam to record any future interactions with them so you can supply police or solicitor with footage? I would wait it out and not move house. As get police reports completed stop them being aggressive and wait for them to die :)

Soldato
OP
Cheap body Cam to record any future interactions with them so you can supply police or solicitor with footage? I would wait it out and not move house. As get police reports completed stop them being aggressive and wait for them to die :)

I have 4 kids aged 2,4,6 & 8. I'll have an army of teenagers in 10 years time, if that doesn't finish the codgers off then I don't know what would.

Soldato
OP
If they have CCTV or any potential videos, I'd be submitting a written request to see all footage, under the basis that you believe they are capturing you. Legally, they have to provide you with a copy.
https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

This is a little gem, even if it was questionable a formal looking letter would likely put a scare factor into place.

Report him as a peado.

What a can of worms to open though.

Soldato
Feel so bad for you, yet laughed so hard at the responses here.
They are the ones that need to move not you, it's appalling that they can get away with swearing at you and filming you, report the hell outta them until they get arrested

Back
Top Bottom