** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Soldato
Full review of the 27GL850 now available for everyone at TFT Central: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

Feel free to ask any questions
Are you certain about this bit:?

The screen natively supports AMD FreeSync for variable refresh rates between 48 and 144Hz over DisplayPort, or 48 - 100Hz over HDMI.

If so that really sucks, when I ordered there was noting on the product page or LG's site about the HDMI connection being gimped >.>

Associate
Linus just dropped a video on the ASUS VG27AQ looks fairly similar to the LG but with added black flame insertion with variable refresh rate turned on. Seems like a better bet for purely gaming but don't think the colours are as good as the LG.

Soldato
Yes it’s confirmed on AMDs site too here

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

You can Just use DP for 144Hz though can’t you?
Damn that sucks, I'll have to think hard about keeping my pre-order, especially after seeing that new ASUS VG27AQ.

My laptop's primary output is HDMI, the DP and USB-C are only secondary so if I use them for centre monitor the BIOS/Windows splash screens show on the left/right monitor (I know it's minor but it irritates me).

Associate
Linus just dropped a video on the ASUS VG27AQ looks fairly similar to the LG but with added black flame insertion with variable refresh rate turned on. Seems like a better bet for purely gaming but don't think the colours are as good as the LG.
The big problem is the price seems to be way dearer in the UK than in the US. I'd like to believe that's because it's not readily available here yet, but, considering the PG279Q is significantly dearer in the UK than the US as well, I don't really have much faith.

Associate
Just been told the next batch of the GL850's is due in mid September, no idea if I'm in that. Not sure what "mid" means but most European shops have preorders for 27th/28th (I was shopping around to see if anywhere outside US had stock).

Caporegime
Just a shame about the very poor contrast ratio and rather high black depth...... given that I am already extremely sensitive to this and blacks in general, this is going to be no good.

Soldato
Please excuse my ignorance but I gotta ask, why is everyone so fussed about this monitor? Isn't the Gigabyte Aorus one very similar to this?
Couple of major differences that swayed my choice:

1. LG make their own IPS panels then design a monitor around them (or sell them to Dell to build Ultrasharp monitors around) whereas Gigabyte (and most monitor companies) design a monitor then shop around for a good deal on panels to put in it.
  2. If you already own LG/Dell panels in a multi monitor setup it means you can swap one out and it will look visually similar both in the bezel and colour temperature/settings departments.
  3. The Gigabyte has a huge stand that make the monitor take up an almost CRT level of desk space (meaning you can't move it as far back without it hitting a wall or falling off the desk).
  4. The Gigabyte has stupid RGB aids.

Associate
Rang up yesterday to query possible restock date - was told LG are shipping around the 23rd, so should be available for dispatch by the end of the month. Went ahead and submitted a pre-order online.

Then... at some stage last night my DPD app tells me the parcel has been received and will be delivered today?! WTF? Guess the wrong thing has been sent.

Associate
Rang up yesterday to query possible restock date - was told LG are shipping around the 23rd, so should be available for dispatch by the end of the month. Went ahead and submitted a pre-order online.

Then... at some stage last night my DPD app tells me the parcel has been received and will be delivered today?! WTF? Guess the wrong thing has been sent.

Wish it was coming today @NikTheSHNIK any update on when we might see them? Legend has it 23rd

Associate
A couple of reasons below!

$/£ at launch was 1.26, when I changed the price $/£ was 1.20. I was going off on holiday for a week (camping in a tent in wales with wife and kids and zero internet access), I could see it dropping further and questioned if I should increase the price further! Even so, I only increased price by 4.4% compared to £/$ change of 5%.

I also had to take a promise to take a large quantity of stock to secure the exclusive, on nothing but a gut feeling. A bit of second guessing over whether I'd made the right decision or not, (at the time there was no reviews and I hadn't had a sample) led me to launch at a lower price than I probably should've done.

It's still a great monitor at £449.99 or £469.99!

Can't wait for the next tranche of stock to land and for you all to get playing on them!

Appreciate the honesty here, thank you.

However... whenever I hear any company give these cases of "ah conversation rate has changed so we need to make up for it".. you never EVER see them 'undo' the change if the conversation rate recovers.

I almost guarantee you that if it was to come back up to 1.30 even, you wouldn't touch the price, and I don't blame you. But hey... always a first for everything.

Soldato
Appreciate the honesty here, thank you.

However... whenever I hear any company give these cases of "ah conversation rate has changed so we need to make up for it".. you never EVER see them 'undo' the change if the conversation rate recovers.

I almost guarantee you that if it was to come back up to 1.30 even, you wouldn't touch the price, and I don't blame you. But hey... always a first for everything.
There is a good reason for that. They cannot drop the price as soon as the rate recovers as that would cause them to lose money and if they do that to much go bankrupt. OCUK are known to drop the price but not the instant rates recover as that's not how stock levels work.

Back
Top Bottom