The new Insignia - it's terrible.

Soldato
Loved my previous cars too, which were Vectra C and Vectra C facelift estates. All fantastic to drive.
Your standards must be rock bottom then, as a Vectra C was literally the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to own. It was terrible. The only thing it had going for it was the cavernous boot. Other than that the interior was poorly put together with a plastidip-like coating which was peeling off most surfaces, uncomfortable seats, a gutless engine and wallowy suspension. Of all the cars I've ever owned, that was the only one I looked forward to getting rid of.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I am not Vauxhall, just one of their happy customers. Loved my previous cars too, which were Vectra C and Vectra C facelift estates. All fantastic to drive.

No wonder you think the new one is OK, when you're core comparison is from an earlier utter pile of drabness.
If you really aren't a member of Vauxhall/Peugeot's team, then you need to go drive some other cars to understand just how massively adrift on ability their cars now are.
If you are from Vauxhall/Peugeot, I have to say that feel sorry for you. Frankly, they appear to be in a real mess. Both car manufacturers are down at the bottom of the wrung of genuinely good cars.

Caporegime
The Lotus Carlton perhaps?

;)

I currently have the Insignia SRI, 1.5 petrol turbo. (as a rental obviously)

And its quite nice really, it isn't 'slow' and it's comfy enough. I just sat in it for 10 hours at the weekend. It's fine, IMO.

But after a 600mile drive, it did 34mpg. Which is awful, as I was mostly motorway

Soldato
that sounds terrible mpg .. how did you hurt it ?
one of the first car I had was a 2.0li 8v 115bhp vectra/cavalier and it was 40's .. the original rep mobile if you didn't have the 16v 150bhp

Soldato
Yep.... Theyve already killed off the VXR brand.

As far as I could see, they've axed the 200ps Astra too. Now it's ~150ps at the top. I have a soft spot for a nicely specced Astra for knocking about in. Had they done the 200ps with AWD (since they don't/won't do RWD) and a manual box I suspect I'd have bought one.

Soldato
I don't think they make any interesting cars now.

They are pretty far down Peugeot lane right now, just beyond the broken down Rover. I know someone who still runs a V6 Vectra which isn't bad, but it's from a totally different era to the current stuff.

Soldato
Haven't driven a new insignia, but doesn't look worse than c/e mercedes, perpetually mix them up at a distance ... all depends on the beauty reference point ;
calibra most recent looker - no

(... equally the persistant reviews on excellent mazda6 handling mean I would have to try one before commiting to another 3 series, empires rise and fall (like political parties)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A rather pointless musing;

I inherited a mk1 Insignia last year, I thought just possibly that it might be a good car for hammering for a while on my 135 mile round trip commute.

How wrong i was, what an absolutely hateful car which lasted no time in my ownership. It was just a really badly designed car. The dash ergonomics horrible, terrible build quality not at all on a par with older vauxhalls which i have had, tiny wingmirrors and all round bad visibility, horrible dashboard design with very awkward OBC, the list of bad design on that thing was endless.

I have had 2 Vectra C, and an Omega mk1, all of which i thought were genuinely fairly good for what they were, which left me so surprised that the Insignia was quite so bad. I do wonder if the mk2 is any better, it'd need to be on a different page to be worthy of consideration if actually spending any money on it.

Soldato
A rather pointless musing;

I inherited a mk1 Insignia last year, I thought just possibly that it might be a good car for hammering for a while on my 135 mile round trip commute.

How wrong i was, what an absolutely hateful car which lasted no time in my ownership. It was just a really badly designed car. The dash ergonomics horrible, terrible build quality not at all on a par with older vauxhalls which i have had, tiny wingmirrors and all round bad visibility, horrible dashboard design with very awkward OBC, the list of bad design on that thing was endless.

I have had 2 Vectra C, and an Omega mk1, all of which i thought were genuinely fairly good for what they were, which left me so surprised that the Insignia was quite so bad. I do wonder if the mk2 is any better, it'd need to be on a different page to be worthy of consideration if actually spending any money on it.

The Mk1 Omega was a handsome car and well specced in the right trim - the Tourer Estate was rare and pretty decent - the 3.0 V6 Elite in Champagne Gold was a handsome thing too. Good cars. Still plenty knocking about too. Although a lot of them were the face lifted ones which to my eye are pretty ugly with that daft extended bumper.

In fact, if i had cash to burn and fancied a daft punt, I would happily pick up a 3.0V6 estate Elite just for nostalgia. Hell if i could find an MV6 i would be all over it.

It would probably be awful lol.

Associate
The Mk1 Omega was a handsome car and well specced in the right trim l.
I agree, I had a 1997 Vauxhall Omega Elite 2.5TDI. It even had VDO Dayton Philips Sat nav before anyone knew what sat nav was. Awesome in every way, very well made apart from the BMW diesel engine whch while economical and had good performance was rather fragile.

Soldato
I agree, I had a 1997 Vauxhall Omega Elite 2.5TDI. It even had VDO Dayton Philips Sat nav before anyone knew what sat nav was. Awesome in every way, very well made apart from the BMW diesel engine whch while economical and had good performance was rather fragile.

That sat nav was rare as hens teeth! I remember my dad coming home with the brochure for the MV6 - I would read it in bed haha!

Associate
The new Insignia - it's terrible.

Fixed that for you. Vauxhalls, like others have said, have done nothing for me at all over the years. Yeah, the new one looks OK, but just turns out to be dull. The astras and corsas just reek of cheap-ness as soon as you actually touch something inside or look closer.

A comparable Ford just feels and drives so much better imho.

Back
Top Bottom