Who here owns an Abarth?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Got a set of Focal 165AS door speakers / tweeters to improve the sound quality / volume somewhat over the stock 7" audio system.

I am also thinking of an underseat subwoofer, any recommendations, not interested in having the car shaking or vibrating or crazy volume, just want good clarity clean sound with some bass at low to medium volumes, any recommendations for an underseat subwoofer, I am told the Kenwood KSC-SW11 fits fine under the seat and performs OK, but just wondered if there are any superior units which also fit fine under the Sabelt seats?

OcUK Staff
@Gibbo You're meant to be removing weight, not adding it :p

True but this is more the daily car and needs to make up for where the Ferrari lacks (stereo) and though for a 1.4 the weee Abarth sounds OK, its no Ferrari on the sound side of things engine wise hence why having a poor stereo in ferrari does not matter as I listen to the engine, so the Abarth needs a good sound system to make up for lack of engine sound, stock system is not too bad to be honest, but a little extra punch to the bass and clarity to the mid's and highs should be nice, something the Focals should help a lot with as they tend to be highly regarded.

Just want a half decent underseat sub, can't do a boot one as we want the boot space which is already limited unless you fold seats down and if I did ever do a rear seat delete, I also do not want a sub box on display.

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody after a Thule roof rack for their 500? Having a garage clear out and found my set from my wifes old Abarth that we sold a few years back. These are now surplus to requirements so will be looking to get rid :)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

So after picking up the Abarth I noticed a couple of days later a knocking noise from year, I immediately suspected drop link but upon checking the rear there was no rear anti-roll bar which ruled out that.
As the exhaust did not seem to be knocking I decided to let Fiat warranty handle the issue and they indeed diagnosed as a drop link, but front one, at which point I was expecting to be hit with wear and tear, so please pay up. Too my surprise the part was supplied and fitted under warranty and now the suspension is totally silent.

I also fitted the Focal 165AS component speakers and Kenwood underseat sub along with a little dynamat for doors and the sound system is vastly improved, the Focal's are superb and the underseat sub gives the punch I wanted, its not equal to having a bass box in the boot but with such a small boot losing boot space was a big no no and this gives the desired bass boost I wanted and the front components have transformed audio quality, in fact I'd say the sound system is now as good as what I had in my F-Type which had the upgraded system but is better at low volumes with loudness ON as you get really good sound at low volumes and is as good with volume cranked up and surprisingly the car has no rattles which for a small Fiat is surprisingly, sorry I meant Abarth. :)

Really enjoying the car, if I try on a run it returns 45mpg, but typically its around 40mpg as I am not hanging around, plus is quite a quick car especially on in-gear acceleration which is proper rapid on say 60-100mph for what it is. I also fitted the LIPO battery which saved around 15-20kg from the front end, I plan the rear seat delete to save another circa 25k or so and probably the lighter front suspension arms to save another 5kg, which should pull around 50kg total from the car which in something that only weighs a tonne to begin with makes sense and its not big money, but shall probably wait until next year anyway as a house move is planned around Christmas.

OcUK Staff
Failed it's first MOT on a rear tyre though :p

Yes the dealership did that prior to collection, still had its original PS3's on back, one failed due to tread or a nail/repair I think, so they put a new PS4 on, I as such purchased another PS4, then moved the wheels to new PS4's to front axle and the new Rainsport 3's are on the back.
Car handles fine, infact it is a real to drive at 3/10th, 6/10th or even 11/10th's just takes it in its stride and is great fun but having the mechanical diff really helps in that respect as the cars I test drove without I found the e-diff not natural feeling.

What's the interior like Gibbo? I've heard these things can be quite rattley

Seems fine to me, its a cheap low-rent interior but lets remember the car its based on Fiat 500, is like what a 8-10k car brand new? But the only thing that makes like a vibration is the dash mounted turbo boost thing which is an easy fix, other than that no rattles, its a pleasantly nice place to be if unless your one of those people who spends more time massaging the interior plastics rather than driving. The carbon seats are a work of art, the infotainment system is great, fast and responsive too and the TomTom Live is very handy for the speed cameras and updating on traffic in realtime, spotted an EsseEsse in dealership yesterday which has the carbon dash insert and its a thing of beauty so even though its £610 item I feel it will get purchased as just compliments the carbon seats, steering wheel so well etc.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Had the seat belts changed from black to yellow today, looks totally original equipment and far cheaper than the close to £500 Fiat wanted:

F7FBF2D1-0CEE-4113-A9E6-041D2C9E7CB9.jpeg

Cost me £150 for all four which I thinks a bargain, looks totally factory and the selection of colours was immense, photo below

48A36BB2-3000-438F-835C-3D9802BB0DE0.jpeg

Quality and work is fantastic, highly recommended, they can do any car by the way.

Soldato
They are really taking the **** with special editions on this car. It's over 10yrs old as a platform but they just keep giving it a lick of paint and charging over 20 grand for the privilege, great cars but they need to give it a rest with the stupid special editions.

Associate
Ever since Abarth started pushing the price point to basically £30k for the Essesse and now this 70th Edition I just cannot get on board with it.

Basically they have stuck some arches and sills onto a regular Comp, funky wing (which is pretty cool), badges and slightly different trimmed seats and asking £30k. You don't even get an Akrapovic. Be prepared to have to option Xenons / 7" Infotainment and a few other bits and pieces before it becomes a £32/£33k car.

There needs to be some proper development and mechanical changes to start justifying the prices now. It is such a shame as I loved mine, but it was a complete bargain compared to prices now.

OcUK Staff
Ever since Abarth started pushing the price point to basically £30k for the Essesse and now this 70th Edition I just cannot get on board with it.

Basically they have stuck some arches and sills onto a regular Comp, funky wing (which is pretty cool), badges and slightly different trimmed seats and asking £30k. You don't even get an Akrapovic. Be prepared to have to option Xenons / 7" Infotainment and a few other bits and pieces before it becomes a £32/£33k car.

There needs to be some proper development and mechanical changes to start justifying the prices now. It is such a shame as I loved mine, but it was a complete bargain compared to prices now.

Agreed get them for a bargain, so much fun, I paid 11k for mine and its Performance Pack car from a dealership with a years warranty, in which case makes for a bargain as its so much fun to drive, as fun as 172 Cup was this is more fun.

Back
Top Bottom