• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Hmm ok, will try with the screws only first :). I have been using Afterburner for overclocking, works fine. Nice temps :D, its like half better than on stock cooler, shame, its like the best looking air cooler ever..
I had a bykski block on my r7 I used their screws but the original x bracket. Was the best block after reading other people's results

Associate
Noticed something strange, i can swear my stock vid was 1058mv, now its reading 1061mv on latest drivers. Anyway, tried some overclocking, i never even bothered doing anything else than UV with this stock cooler, only thing what i tried was with the stock 1058mv how far i could push it, and it was 1950/1200, now however i prepared myself for the AMD 847 taking off to the skies and put 100% fanspeed and started going all in, i could finish Superposition with 1181mv @ 2100/1200, looks very promising, can´t wait to get this baby on water.

Associate
Mine was quite similar to yours. It's 1054-1058mv depending on what the GPU feels like at the time.It also undervolts to 960mv or alternatively I run 1150mv for 2050/1250Mhz.

Associate
Which thermal paste i should use with the bykski block, will install it tonight, Gelid GC-extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?. Been reading some comments and i´m little bit paranoid about the paste drying out on hotspot temps, Gelid atleast is very thick stuff.

Associate
Which thermal paste i should use with the bykski block, will install it tonight, Gelid GC-extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?. Been reading some comments and i´m little bit paranoid about the paste drying out on hotspot temps, Gelid atleast is very thick stuff.
Thermal pads :)

Associate
I'd use "Hydronaut"

Features:
- Suitable for Overclocking
- Excellent thermal conductivity
- No cure time
- Silicon free

Ideal Applications:
Thermal Conductivity: 4*
Extreme Overclocking: 4*
Overclocking: 5*
Water cooling: 5*
Air cooling: 5*
Silicone Sensitive Applications: 5*

"Kryonaut" shouldn't be used on silicone:

Features:
- Designed especially for overclocking
- Excellent thermal conductivity
- No cure time
- High long-term stability

Ideal Applications:
Thermal Conductivity: 5*
Extreme Overclocking: 5*
Overclocking: 5*
Watercooling: 5*
Air cooling: 5*
Silicone Sensitive Applications: Do Not Use

And use loads, my temps are very good now I changed to an EK block. 34-35C in games now!
I just used the whole tube that came with the EK block!

Dy4lv3F.jpg

Associate
Would anyone be able to give me a real world answer as to whether it would be worth moving from a 1600 to a 3600 for gaming at 4k? A lot of the benchmarks would suggest not, but they don't always paint the whole picture.
Yes. I moved from 1600x to 3600. And I do get much more stable (and more) fps. And no more microfreezes in some specific playgame moments. I have 2.5k monitor.
3600 = 2700x.

Last edited:
Associate
Would anyone be able to give me a real world answer as to whether it would be worth moving from a 1600 to a 3600 for gaming at 4k? A lot of the benchmarks would suggest not, but they don't always paint the whole picture.
I just updated my Brother from a 1700 @3.9ghz to a 3600 with a VII. It runs 3600Mhz ram 1:1 with the fabric so it gives better 1% and 0.1% lows. There's been an official statement from AMD yesterday too as the coding is to be updated to sort out the poor boosting. More info is due on the 10th September regarding it. (new bios in a few weeks been the takeaway)
The Dram calculator has gone through several updates to so use that to get the most out of your ram too!

Associate
Yes. I moved from 1600x to 3600. And I do get much more stable (and more) fps. And no more microfreezes in some specific playgame moments. I have 2.5k monitor.
3600 = 2700x.

Good to hear!

I just updated my Brother from a 1700 @3.9ghz to a 3600 with a VII. It runs 3600Mhz ram 1:1 with the fabric so it gives better 1% and 0.1% lows. There's been an official statement from AMD yesterday too as the coding is to be updated to sort out the poor boosting. More info is due on the 10th September regarding it. (new bios in a few weeks been the takeaway)
The Dram calculator has gone through several updates to so use that to get the most out of your ram too!

Ah cool, I did think that might be the case. All the reviews point to not much difference in FPS at 4k between the 2 but if the improvement is noticable in the 1% and 0.1% lows then that's worth it

Associate
Associate
I put the Radeon VII frankenstein AIO finally together, EK MLC 240 with custom tubing + Bykski Fullcover block (used kryonaut paste), temps are amazing now, on undervolted settings with stock clocks max hotspot is now around 60-65c in heavy games (this is like 40c drop compared to stock cooler @ 50% ish fan setting), completely silent aswell, vardars are running at very low rpm. Havent tried yet overclocking, but will do when i have time.

Last edited:
Associate
I put the Radeon VII frankenstein AIO finally together, EK MLC 240 with custom tubing + Bykski Fullcover block (used kryonaut paste), temps are amazing now, on undervolted settings with stock clocks max hotspot is now around 60-65c in heavy games (this is like 40c drop compared to stock cooler @ 50% ish fan setting). Havent tried yet overclocking, but will do when i have time.

Nice! That's a result! Got any piccys?

Associate
Yeah love it now since its so silent and cool, Radeon VII amazing card for my usage along with TR 1950X, monster workstation and runs games very well @ 4k.

Back
Top Bottom