Is it unwise to use a Lollipop phone today?

Soldato
Hi.

Unfortunately I had my phone stolen so I've dusted off my old Moto X 1st gen and replaced the battery. It was running Kitkat stock, which no apps at all seems to support anymore. I updated to official OTA Lollipop 5.1 thinking it would be the same story but all my apps are supported. Even banking apps work fine. I remember official Moto X 5.1 Lollipop got a pasting from the community back in the day but it's running really well.

I'm also loving going back to a smaller phone with a plastic back; none of this nonsense of huge displays and ultra slippy glass backs forcing you to use a case which makes the phone even more unwieldy. You end up babying the phone more than using. I can throw around the Moto X without a care in the world and use it one handed no sweat. Moto notifications are also cool.

Anyway I had an issue with Lollipop never going to sleep but I have reset the device and all seems well now. In the meantime I bought a Xiaomi Note 6 Pro but I am in two minds whether to send it back and keep running the Moto X.

Should I ditch the nostalgia and the Moto X or keep using it?

Soldato
OP
Yes the stock Lollipop hasn't been patched in ages. I think the last security patch was from early 2016.

I've seen the Nougat ROMs but the camera doesn't work on any of them.

I couldn't resist and opened the Note 6 Pro. I'm glad I did as the Moto X just seems so tiny compared to it. And my eyes definitely need a bigger screen as I get older.

It's going back in the draw as a backup again. Nostalgia trip over.

Back
Top Bottom