What External Hard Drive are you using for your Xbox one or Xbox one X

Associate
Running a cheapo 1tb SSD from the forest internally. Flies now. I can find out the name if anyone interested but it was literally the cheapest with loads of good reviews. It was more of an experiment and boredom.

Last edited:
Soldato
Running a cheapo 1tb SSD from the forest internally. Flies now. I can find out the name if anyone interested but it was literally the cheapest with loads of good reviews. It was more of an experiment and boredom.

What guide did you follow for setting it up internally? Getting my 1tb SSD and was going to run it external, but might go internal if it's not too much faff

Soldato
All done, took less than an hour total. Definitely worth the upgrade, loading times are way faster in SoT, not quite PC speed, but not far off.

Soldato
I am using a boggo standard WD 2.5" 500GB drive in a USB 3.0 Kingston caddy i got for free with an SSD. Performance has never been lacking for me :)

Seems that it is a pretty well optimised set up on the Xbox if you are looking to gain storage cheaply as possible. Obviously a big SSD would give you gains over something like my setup

Associate
I am using a boggo standard WD 2.5" 500GB drive in a USB 3.0 Kingston caddy i got for free with an SSD. Performance has never been lacking for me :)

Seems that it is a pretty well optimised set up on the Xbox if you are looking to gain storage cheaply as possible. Obviously a big SSD would give you gains over something like my setup

£80 it cost me to upgrade my internal hard drive to an SSD plus if that gets full I got the internal drive to stick in the spare caddy I have lying around. But after running an SSD I think if I need more storage I'll either buy another 1tb or sell the 1tb I got and buy a 2tb SSD.

Soldato
£80 it cost me to upgrade my internal hard drive to an SSD plus if that gets full I got the internal drive to stick in the spare caddy I have lying around. But after running an SSD I think if I need more storage I'll either buy another 1tb or sell the 1tb I got and buy a 2tb SSD.
I have to admit, the more the prices on big SSD's drop, the more I am tempted to go that route as an internal replacement. Is changing the internal drive much of a pain in the you know what?

Associate
I have to admit, the more the prices on big SSD's drop, the more I am tempted to go that route as an internal replacement. Is changing the internal drive much of a pain in the you know what?

No. Takes about an hour. Just make sure you follow the video someone posted above. The forum thread on gbatemp has a few other videos and the latest software to partition the drive correctly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom