Quietening trickle vents

Associate
Hello,

Is there a way to quieten down the noise that comes through trickle vents? I've moved from somewhere that didn't have them to somewhere that does, and the noise difference is a bit noticeable.

I don't mind paying for a decent job, I just wouldn't know what to ask for or what the best fix might be. It also wouldn't be all trickle vents in the house, maybe just the living room, possibly 1 bedroom.

I suppose a very crude fix might be to unscrew the cover, pack it with insulation and tape it over with insulating tape / PVC repair tape of some sort - unsure which products might be best?

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Soldato
Have a look for a supplier of acoustic trickle vents. I know that in my bathroom i have a vent with some spongy material which reduces the sound that comes in. I've had to spec up some windows previously for a job where a house was close to a dual carriageway as well. You may have to see if they're compatible with your existing windows though.

Something like this may help https://www.glidevale.com/uploads/9afa3848c51695eebb5150bc6d547413.pdf

Tea Drinker
Don
They are there for a reason taping them up will only cause issues elsewhere.

Acoustic trickle vents often involve totally different window frames or bolt on additional sections, I'd be surprised if you can find direct replacements.

Maybe something retrofitted

Associate
OP
Yeah it'd only be maybe 1 or 2 vents in the whole house, the rest are open. Plus I'm happy to open windows etc so it's not something that should hopefully negatively affect the house too much.

I'm just looking for suggestions on which insulation / tape to use to get the best noise dampening effect to be honest.

Soldato
Give it time, and you will get used to it, i have moved about from living in quite areas to noisey areas, and after while you stop noticing

Associate
OP
Cheers all, I'm popping to B&Q at the weekend so if anyone can recommend specific insulation / PVC repair tape that'd be appreciated. Sounds like this combo would be best to dampen noise.

Associate
We were also bothered by external noise though our window trickle vents. I unscrewed them and squirted some expanding foam inside, waited for it to set, then trimmed the excess and taped over with the same colour tape. It worked very well and the external noise has now been reduced significantly.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother buying expensive insulation just to block a tiny trickly vent, you could just grab a handful of insulation from your loft and stuff it in, or anything else you have to hand.

Associate
OP
Thanks @rexehuk

I wouldn't bother buying expensive insulation just to block a tiny trickly vent, you could just grab a handful of insulation from your loft and stuff it in, or anything else you have to hand.
Yeah it's looking like it'd be £32 so I'll look in the loft first and try and figure out what they've used there, I do like the sound or rockwoll though, it does defintely sound like it'd do the trick when you watch the video here

Back
Top Bottom