Excellent CGI that's not entirely obvious

Soldato
I've decided to start this thread on the back of the discussion in the T: Dark Fate thread and also a video which popped up on my YT thread last night. I feel it might be overlooked in the other thread.

I'm a big David Fincher fan but he's not someone that springs to mind as using a lot of CGI effects. However turns out his movies are absolutely littered with CGI work. From the obvious long shots in Fight Club and Panic Room to more subtle background shots, it's everywhere.

One thing I didn't know was that he doesn't use blood packs for gun/knife wounds, it's entirely CG work. That head wound on Daniel Craig that won't stop bleeding in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...all CGI.

Another one that threw me recently is the birth scene in Children Of Men, the baby is almost completely a CGI creation.

So, what examples of great CGI work have you seen where it's not exactly obvious?

Man of Honour
Children of Men actually has a ton of CGI IIRC lots of stuff that you wouldn't think was CGI is.

Personally I prefer practical effects where possible - some exceptions aside CGI tends to work best as a touch up tool.

Soldato
OP
Personally I prefer practical effects where possible - some exceptions aside CGI tends to work best as a touch up tool.

You've actually touched on my whole reason for starting this thread. :)

That Fincher video above was a huge eye opener to so many shots which I was absolutely sure were filmed on set/location. At no point was I pulled out of those movies thinking that's CGI, it was seamless and unobtrusive.

Soldato
I would pick Terminator 2 and metal effects as non-obvious
... had not seen Children of men but the clip does not make it looks so realistic ... maybe on a big screen
why wouldn't they use a real baby, like the soaps, can't believe it wouldn't be cheaper, imdb film sysnopsys seems to suggest that scene was pivotal to the movie too.

I look upon the generally poor state of CGI (usually 2k DI) as production company scatter gun approach - they produce more cheaper movies and CGI is a necessary evil, to control costs.

I watched the explosions in peaky blinders the other day and thought, not realistic, also doctor who has been diminshed.
Looks like I need to see 'first man' that won this years VFX oscar. (gravity and ex machina being previosu winners too)

Man of Honour
Chernobyl was pretty good. Maybe I was so engrossed in the story but I didn't notice much CGI and there must have been a lot.

Soldato
Children of Men actually has a ton of CGI IIRC lots of stuff that you wouldn't think was CGI is.

CoM is brilliant. Its worth watching for the Tank Sequence alone its meant to be one long take. Its probably one of the best audio workouts for your system alongside the beach assault on Saving Private Ryan. In a directional sense.

Soldato
i posted and it seems to have vanished :-/
i first realised how subtle and good CGI could be on the Black Hawk Down disc when they were on about getting rif of the rotor downwash and replacing it w/ fake dust. another mad example recently is Better Call Saul where a load of Mike's facial wounds are CGI - it's amazing, i couldn't believe it when they were talking about it on the commentary and you're watching it at the same time, totally seamless.

Soldato
What? I'm calling shenanigans on this one. :D

Great movie though.
The actor’s injury went viral earlier this month when Jon Hamm revealed Renner’s broken arms needed CGI to cover up his casts. Hamm said Renner wore green screen casts, but the actor clarified the use of CGI to cover his arms was only used in the scene in which his character climbs the stack of chairs.

“I went back to shoot that day, I didn’t take anything out of the cast and they had to put like a clean sleeve over my arm, because I didn’t want to take it off right after I just broke it,” he said. “I needed it to set, I wanted the bone to set, so I think they had to CGI my arm or something in just that one scene, but the rest of it, you know, it all went on okay.”

Back
Top Bottom