What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Finished the final season of The Americans last night, decent ending although it felt like they were in a hurry to wrap it all up in the final few episodes when they could have used the entire season to bring it to a close. Still, really enjoyed the whole thing and it stayed consistently good for the most part.

Think I'll do Umbrella Academy next.

I finished The Umbrella Academy last night, really enjoyed it. The season finale was predictable from about episode 4/5 but finished well, plenty to look forward to for season 2.

Soldato
Is anybody watching The Dark Crystal on Netflix? It looks like The Never Ending Story meets Labyrinth meets LOTR. Wondering if it’s worth getting into.

Just watched Hyperdrive first two episodes, pretty cool concept like Need for Speed and Gymkhana :D and fun to watch, skipped through the backstories and some of the commentary through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched the first episode of the two new big budget fantasy series that released yesterday on Amazon and Netflix.

The Dark Crystal - obviously pulls at the heart strings for anyone who was a kid in the '80s but it was a bit odd, can't put my finger on why.

Carnival Row - more adult than expected (watching with my 13 year old) but a good watch, interesting setting and well made. Will watch more of this one, not so sure about the other!

Soldato
Up to S3 Ep 6 of Z Nation.

Started off really well - funny and scary at the same time, but getting a little silly and boring now. Hope it picks up a bit as there is still another 2 season to go!

Still got Black Summer and FTWD S5 to start (i like Zombieeeeeeeeees!)

Soldato
Up to S3 Ep 6 of Z Nation.

Started off really well - funny and scary at the same time, but getting a little silly and boring now. Hope it picks up a bit as there is still another 2 season to go!

Still got Black Summer and FTWD S5 to start (i like Zombieeeeeeeeees!)

It only gets sillier!

I though the latest season was a bit dissappointing, same with 4 to an extent.

Looks like Season 6 has been cancelled.

Soldato
Just finished Tin Star season 2. What a complete mess that was! I really enjoyed the first season but season 2 was all over the place.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I started off loving season one, but felt credibility got stretched very thin towards the end. I got about an episode and a half into season two and wasn't hooked at all. Loved the scenery and 'Fargo' vibe, but ultimately I found the lead character and what he was allowed to get away with unbelievable.

While I'm here, I finally got round to finishing the Vietnam documentary series that's recently been shown again in various places including BBC4. I started watching the series reluctantly, seeing the pile of hours ahead and thinking it would be a slog. But it's every bit as compelling and important as 'The World at War' series is for WW2.

The soundtrack makes a marvellous counterpoint to the story because such familiar tunes suddenly get put into context. And of course while conscripts were being slaughtered in Vietnam, the USA put men on the Moon. It almost beggars belief that such glory for humanity could exist in the same time and electoral space as such a shameful waste of life and effort. And it makes you realise, depressingly, how little politics has changed over the years.

Soldato
Nearing the end of Preacher S2, it's not as good as S1, which I liked a lot - I'm pleased to see they reduce back down to 10 episodes for S3.

Will watch something else once I'm done with S2 - does anyone have any particular recommendations, comedy or drama? Was thinking Warrior, or Westworld S2 (liked S1, didn't love it), or Handmaid's tail, or Fargo... or something else?

Associate
Finished The Little Drummer Girl last night, do like short 6 episode seasons, was decent, good story line and decent spy thriller.

Started I am the Night with Chris Pine, true crime story based on the Black Dahlia, very enjoyable so far only 2 episodes in, but liking it so far.

Soldato
I think all these fantastic series have ruined movies for me. It just seems pointless watching a 2hr 'show' when there are such good long-form stories.

Attempted to watch Sully last night, which is apparently decent, but just couldn't be bothered with it - stopped after 15 minutes. Will go back to series.

Associate
I think all these fantastic series have ruined movies for me. It just seems pointless watching a 2hr 'show' when there are such good long-form stories.

Attempted to watch Sully last night, which is apparently decent, but just couldn't be bothered with it - stopped after 15 minutes. Will go back to series.

Yep I've been thinking the same over the last couple of years - just losing interest in films. TV production values are almost catching up with film, and you can get so much more invested in an evolving story over multiple episode / seasons.

Back
Top Bottom