Asus PA32UCG - 32" 4K 120Hz VRR HDR-1400

Associate
The specs (on asus.com) say 48-120 Hz VRR for game developement (the next gen gaming consoles, presumably).

So, it will, probably, be one of the first PC monitors with HDMI 2.1 ports.

Caporegime
Me wants. Cause its a work tool for editing HDR videos and games and comes with a hood, it could be £10k and would still sell.
I see AUO has its 32-inch prototype featuring a 4K resolution, 1,500 nits peak brightness, a 144 Hz refresh rate, as well as over 1,000 local dimming zones.

Man of Honour
Given my experience with the PG278Q and the experiences of people I know with the various similar models from Asus I wouldn't be touching it with a bargepole sadly.

Associate
I am expecting worse. More like $8,999 which by the time it arrives and the no deal brexit is in full affect that will be more like £12,000 inc VAT ;)

The 60 Hz monitor version PA32UCX with the same panel has shown up in the US for $3,999 pre-order. I don't think simply adding a DP 1.4 port for 120 Hz, VRR and tuning the overdrive is gonna cost more than an exrtra grand. Plus they want to compete with the Apple XRD.

I knew you would. Triple screen? ;)

Haha no out of the eyefinity/surround business. ;)

I've been waiting for a high refresh 32" 4K for a looooooooooooooooong time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 60 Hz monitor version PA32UCX with the same panel has shown up in the US for $3,999 pre-order. I don't think simply adding a DP 1.4 port for 120 Hz, VRR and tuning the overdrive is gonna cost more than an exrtra grand. Plus they want to compete with the Apple XRD.

Haha no out of the eyefinity/surround business. ;)

I've been waiting for a high refresh 32" 4K for a looooooooooooooooong time.

Yet we have had for years screens almost as good as the 60hz PA32UCX for well under $1000 so the mini led is basically adding $3000. Equally we have seen screen with 120hz and VRR adding up to $2k as well. Combine them and you have an unique product and can set your price.

Dont forget pro screens like this for editing work, the competition costs $20k upwards (with the exception of the new apple)

But nice to see the PA32UCX coming in at only $3999 as it was expected to cost £4999 for a while.

We are still a long long way off a screen like these costing less than $2000 though which is where I will bite.

Associate
Asus has announced that its first of its kind ProArt PA32UCG montior will finally be available to buy in December, boasting incredible specs such as 1600-nit brightnes and a 120Hz refresh rate.

bg-header-m.jpg

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...e-worlds-first-1600-nit-120hz-display-4047679

Soldato
The price of this is way over the top considering the other options :e.g. LG OLED TV with the same specs for about £1.3k

Associate
The price of this is way over the top considering the other options :e.g. LG OLED TV with the same specs for about £1.3k
I'd probably be willing to get a TV instead of a monitor if that gave me 4k, 120Hz, VRR, and good colour reproduction, but I've never seen a single 32" OLED screen, TV or otherwise. I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asus has announced that its first of its kind ProArt PA32UCG montior will finally be available to buy in December, boasting incredible specs such as 1600-nit brightnes and a 120Hz refresh rate.
Now the important question: In what year that December is supposed to be?:p

Associate
but I've never seen a single 32" OLED screen, TV or otherwise. I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

Unfortunately. None.

32 on one hand.
48 on the other hand.
Question is : is there enough distance between the screen and yourself.

In between : 34 uw 1440p, 38 1600p. Not 4k and same price as the tv.

Associate
If you lived in Moscow, like I do, you would know that this monitors has been available for buying for several months for no less than 4692 US Dollars... I did some research, not that I was going to buy it or anything, and found out that despite it being 120hz it is not really suited for gaming, because the FALD is slow. The transition from on to off state is way too slow bringing artifacts to the screen. Also, despite having 1152 backlight zones, it still has halos visible even on grey menus around the white mouse cursor. If you google the issue and the monitor you will find out that some people returned this monitor because of that haloing issue.
This device is still interesting to learn about because I bet that on its base the Asus PG32UQX is being built. Which in its turn, will become available in the beginning of the next year. At least its counterpart, the Acer X32 will become available only in Q1 of the next year at the earliest. I know this from an Acer rep directly. So, the 2020 sucks really in very differentiated manner.
They may solve the slow FALD, I suppose, in the UQX model, but I am worried about the halos. 1152 zones are definitely not enough for a 32" display.

Soldato
OP
1152 zones are definitely not enough for a 32" display.

It isn't enough, ESPECIALLY at this price point. Halos will still be visible, and while the UQX model will no doubt be better optimised for gaming, it's still going to be destroyed by OLED if you're looking for a top end HDR experience in gaming. And I don't know what other reason there would be for buying it.

Personally, I think the cheaper XB323QK NV and Viewsonic ELITE XG320U are more interesting, if they land at under £1K. There won't be much of an HDR experience with these (although the Viewsonic does have the slightly better HDR-600 standard, plus HDMI 2.1), but that's to be expected. I think most people will be more disappointed with the result from a £3500 monitor.

At the end of the day, people just need to accept that LCD is never going to offer an HDR experience like OLED.

Back
Top Bottom