Recommended tyres?

Soldato
Hi all, can't see a thread so here goes.

Bike is CBR600 which does touring, pillion riding, fast road riding, commuting and potentially track days. A jack of all trades so to speak. All in the dry though.

Looking at dual compound tyres ideally. Been recommended Michelin Pilot Road 4s or Avon Storm 3D. But I used to use Pirelli Corsa's and I'm not sure.

What say the crowd....

Soldato
Cheers all. Anyone ever tried Metzler Roadtecs 01?

What are road 5s like for mileage - touring and pillion riding? Do they square off easy?
I've had the roadtec 01 before, think I did around 1100 miles on them before swapping to the Road 5's.

Nothing wrong with them but go for the Road 5's.

Soldato
OP
I've had the roadtec 01 before, think I did around 1100 miles on them before swapping to the Road 5's.

Nothing wrong with them but go for the Road 5's.

Why did you swap?
I preferred Metzler and Pirelli because they moved around more before letting go. When I was racing Michelin were called Michelin Highsides because they let go so quickly you couldn't save it.

I'm open to all because I realise road riding is different. But I'm after something that won't square off with 1000 miles of motorway riding so I can do touring and the off trackday.

Soldato
Why did you swap?
I preferred Metzler and Pirelli because they moved around more before letting go. When I was racing Michelin were called Michelin Highsides because they let go so quickly you couldn't save it.

I'm open to all because I realise road riding is different. But I'm after something that won't square off with 1000 miles of motorway riding so I can do touring and the off trackday.
They were already worn when I got the bike, think the owner said they'd done around 3000 miles.

Road 5's won't square off after 1000 miles. :)

Man of Honour
Cheers all. Anyone ever tried Metzler Roadtecs 01?

What are road 5s like for mileage - touring and pillion riding? Do they square off easy?

I have had both the PR5 and Roadtec 01, and I prefer the Roadtec 01 as it has better grip in the wet and lasted a similar amount of time. Plus Metzler design their tyres to give a lot better feel when you are approaching the limit of their grip rather than just letting go with a nasty surprise once you run out of grip.

I used to use only M7RR (I was never a fan of the tyre life or cold performance of the supercorsas) but I've never had a situation where I missed them since switching to the Roadtec 01.

Soldato
OP
I have had both the PR5 and Roadtec 01, and I prefer the Roadtec 01 as it has better grip in the wet and lasted a similar amount of time. Plus Metzler design their tyres to give a lot better feel when you are approaching the limit of their grip rather than just letting go with a nasty surprise once you run out of grip.

I used to use only M7RR (I was never a fan of the tyre life or cold performance of the supercorsas) but I've never had a situation where I missed them since switching to the Roadtec 01.

This was my feeling. Pirelli or Metzler I used to swear by because I could feel them slide before they went. We used to call Michelin's 'Michelin Highsides' because they were grippy as hell until the limit then BOOM you were picking your bike up out of the gravel trap!

£280 for PR5, £245 for PR4, £180 for Avon Storm.
£150 for Pirelli Corsa's.

Caporegime
I used to use angel gt's but tried the road 5s now and they're amazing great through winter

Just replaced the rear due to a pool puncture but still a reasonable about of rubber left.

Front is nearing the wear indicators now, rear was noticeably square now it's been replaced.

But this is with approa 7-8k with the majority being motorway

Associate
What about Conti Attack 3s?
Got these on the old goose, can't comment on what they are like on track as neither me nor the bike are really suited for it :) Otherwise I'd rate them roughly the same as the PR3s they replaced but slower wearing - looking at 10-12k from the rear, so good for the touring and commuting side. That being said, given the choice I'd get PR5s or Metzelers unless there's a significant difference in price.

Soldato
OP
I think i'm edging towards Pirelli Angel GT2s after recommendations on another site for my riding style as a few of them know how I ride.

Cheers for all the advice though, I will take it on board. :)

Soldato
Had Dunlop Sportmaxx and moved to PR5's around April. Not had much chance to use them in the wet yet, (and won't do so until Feb) but they'\ve been excellent in the dry. Took them on track for a (literal) 10 minutes session at Three Sisters near Wigan; scraping pegs on both sides with no issues.

Soldato
I went from M7RR (great tyre) to the new (for 2019) Bridgestone S22 on my road bike.

For all-round, sporty riding and track days, I've never felt a tyre that is so confidence inspiring and full of feedback. At Anglesey I had a whale of a time sliding it out of corners with such predictability. On the flip side, at a very wet Isle of Man this summer, they were absolutely fine and what you'd expect for a modern tyre in those awful conditions. On the road in the dry, they warm up fast and are a real 'ride and forget' tyre, I never have to think about tyre temperature and grip like I did with Supercorsas.

Back
Top Bottom