• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
Ohhh, thought you had a 5700XT?
That was from the video. One particular reviewer admitted as much. Which leaves me to wonder how he could afford a 2080ti and not a new monitor?
Furthermore, how...why would he buy at 2080ti for a 1080 60hz monitor. :confused: (admittedly as a reviewer it may have been given to him)

The problem is that this person has access to a well known media outlet in which he is invoking his view to an audience about rtx ray tracing being "fine". Which completely invalidates his opinion as he doesn't see beyond 1080p among other concerns.

This is what the author of the video is alluding to.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Sure sure we believe you

A game that looks worse than Crysis 3 from gazillion years ago.
Agree with the guy. Not sure what people here are on about. I am really hoping they at least double the RT performance for the 3000 series otherwise it will be very disappointing.

Soldato
Sure sure we believe you

A game that looks worse than Crysis 3 from gazillion years ago.

Just a troll video in that it's all opinion. He says things like "i prefer reflections without ray tracing"

um ok good for you, I think RT reflections is one of the best looking effects to happen in gaming.

To top it off, he starts going off with future predictions about this and that and trying to make it sound like fact.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just a troll video in that it's all opinion. He says things like "i prefer reflections without ray tracing"

um ok good for you, I think RT reflections is one of the best looking effects to happen in gaming.

To top it off, he starts going off with future predictions about this and that and trying to make it sound like fact.
I don't agree with everything he said, but one cannot argue with that there is not a huge leap in graphics quality like there was in Crysis back in the day and they are expecting us to pay through the nose for it and lose tons of fps? This makes the 2000 series a fail to me. This is why I am excited about the 3000 series where I am confident there will be a big boost to RT performance :)

Associate
Crysis 3 is still the best looking game around. The forests and the interiors are still unmatched 6 years later. Cryengine really was something else. Too bad we won’t get a Crysis 4.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Crysis 3 is still the best looking game around. The forests and the interiors are still unmatched 6 years later. Cryengine really was something else. Too bad we won’t get a Crysis 4.
This is what I am saying. Crysis and Crysis 3 really pushed graphics and you could see a night and day difference. The fact that they are stooping to the levels of lowering the vanilla non RTX graphics to make RTX look good says a lot. With regards to RT currently; there is a difference, it looks nice, but it is not worth the price premium and performance loss on current hardware. It just is not the night and day difference the Crysis games offered. My hope is 2020 titles and hardware will change this.

Soldato
RTX is the future and it WILL be fantastic when it's properly and fully implemented but for now the hardware just isn't powerful enough. I have a 1080Ti and I cannot justify double the cost for some bells and whistles that end up with worse performance figures when you enable them.

Soldato
RTX is the future and it WILL be fantastic when it's properly and fully implemented but for now the hardware just isn't powerful enough. I have a 1080Ti and I cannot justify double the cost for some bells and whistles that end up with worse performance figures when you enable them.

Coz my 70 quid from a 1080Ti so I wouldn't say it's double the cost.

Soldato
I was talking about me. I paid £600 for a 1080Ti just over 2 years ago. A 2080Ti for £1100 or so is just not worth it for the fancy effects.

I had a 1080Ti and gone to a 2070S and it cost 70 quid, performance is similar / better on most titles and RTX makes a good addon, Control runs smooth on my 4K TV, yes it's using DLSS but on a TV there is no blurryness and the difference between native and 2K DLSS / 4K rest is so negligible you can't notice. And it's not a lag fest, runs between 40-60+ fps.

Soldato
I had a 1080Ti and gone to a 2070S and it cost 70 quid, performance is similar / better on most titles and RTX makes a good addon, Control runs smooth on my 4K TV, yes it's using DLSS but on a TV there is no blurryness and the difference between native and 2K DLSS / 4K rest is so negligible you can't notice. And it's not a lag fest, runs between 40-60+ fps.

The performance is similar yes, until you actually try to use those extras that made the new card possible then it drops down hugely. DLSS is pretty much dead and has been panned basically since it came out. RTX Support is still patchy at best too.

Soldato
The performance is similar yes, until you actually try to use those extras that made the new card possible then it drops down hugely. DLSS is pretty much dead and has been panned basically since it came out. RTX Support is still patchy at best too.

You should be typing along the lines of "I don't feel DLSS or RTX is worthwhile and I feel I'm not missing out", except you're posting as if you've got experienced DLSS/RTX.

This is the frustrating aspect, I know first hand how it looks what performance is like and some of the potential drawbacks and such things I could not post unless I have experienced it first hand.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
You should be typing along the lines of "I don't feel DLSS or RTX is worthwhile and I feel I'm not missing out", except you're posting as if you've got experienced DLSS/RTX.

This is the frustrating aspect, I know first hand how it looks what performance is like and some of the potential drawbacks and such things I could not post unless I have experienced it first hand.

Yup, I've just played through Control on a lowly 2060 with Transparent/Solid reflections and Contact Shadows RTX features enabled using DLSS and sharpening on a 32" 1440p screen sat a few feet away using a controller and it was perfectly playable (didn't have an fps counter up, but it felt smooth enough) and looked great.

Soldato

I have experienced DLSS and RTX in person on other machines and in videos and streams. Why do people defend it by saying you HAVE to own an RTX card or you have no opinion?

DLSS has blurring issues and has already been superseded by image sharpening tools and RTX is currently available in <10 games and massively impacts performance to the point that without DLSS performance is worse than the previous generation.

It looks good and I have said that several times, though in tech demos in particular it can be overdone to the point of ridiculousness. It is the future but this generation just can't do it justice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have experienced DLSS and RTX in person on other machines and in videos and streams. Why do people defend it by saying you HAVE to own an RTX card or you have no opinion?

DLSS has blurring issues and has already been superseded by image sharpening tools and RTX is currently available in <10 games and massively impacts performance to the point that without DLSS performance is worse than the previous generation.

It looks good and I have said that several times, though in tech demos in particular it can be overdone to the point of ridiculousness. It is the future but this generation just can't do it justice.

wrong - on control it works brilliantly - i would also argue that control with RTX enabled is a night and day difference.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-pc-a-vision-for-next-gen-rendering

i would rather accept the views of digital foundry who have been doing these features for years than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXxDaZznIY

Man of Honour
I wonder how people would be posting in this thread if it were AMD high end cards that could run Ray Tracing/DLSS and it was NVidia cards that were unable to.

I think some people are being blinded by brand loyalty and weakening their point of view in the process.

Yes -
Ray Tracing does work.
You have to throw a lot of hardware at it to get the best out of it.
It is a very expensive tech.
DLSS can work very well (sometimes) but I think is only a short term thing.
There is a very limited amount of software that can use the new tech and some of implementations have been poor.

Personally I am only luke warm about the new tech for the above reasons but I am optimistic that Ray Tracing is here to stay and over the next few years will improve a lot.

Back
Top Bottom