Bike Crime

Soldato
Ultimately this is all you can really do, given there are now people willing to angle grind the locks of a bike in broad daylight with the alarm blaring away then potentially lift it into the back of a van, your job is just to make it take as long as possible compared to the closest comparable bike.

It also depends what kind of tea-leaf you bike is going to attract. If its a uncommon, vaguely high end bit of kit thats likely to be "stolen to order" - its going to be in the back of a van, off to a shipping container where no amount of tracker is going to be able to get a signal off before a skilled thief can disable it. Making you only defense good insurance.

My solution was a £450, 20 year old Honda Deauville NT650 when I was commuting. I didn't even want to be seen on it...

Since I posted that, a friend had two bikes nicked in a matter of days, his solution was a burgundy GSXF 750 with an alarm that talks to you in the campest voice ever. It seems to have worked... so far.

Soldato
Mine's a 2001 Triumph Sprint RS. If someone's going to nick it, it's because they want a joyride, not because it's precious, particularly quick, or even in demand. I also garage it at home, and I have a private car park at work in a courtyard with only one entrance / exit, and it's right outside my window by my desk. I've gone as full retard as I can really, but I am scared to get anything nice.

Caporegime
With these trackers and modern electronics in bikes such as brake fluid pumps.

What would the legality be to have something that once your texted by the gps tracker you could message back and have the bike say slam the breaks on and lock them on?

You obviously would have no idea if the bike was simply in a van or happened to be flying around a particularly sharp bend at the time.....

Back
Top Bottom