USB freezes Win10 and MacOS but fine with Win7?

Soldato
Afternoon Overclockers,

I have a query about a USB pen - SanDisk Ultra Flair 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It played up months ago, and I put it away for another day. I've since been trying to format it, and have found the below:

Windows 10
  • It causes File Manager to freeze when trying to access the drive
  • It does not allow the cmd 'diskpart' to be run
  • It crashes SanDisk's own recovery software when I try to access the drive using that
  • It prevents the PC from restarting/shutting down when inserted
Mac OS
  • It causes the disk utility tool to not respond when inserted
  • Unable to format the USB as it says it cannot be accessed
Win 7
  • Inserted fine, allowed me to quick format, and now doing a non-quick format to make absolutely sure it's usable in future.

So my question - why would the different operating systems behave so very differently towards this USB?

Soldato
I would guess different USB host controllers on the different machines reacting differently to what's probably a dodgy drive.

USB2 port on the Windows 7 box by any chance?
I would expect those to work better in this case. (Slower)

Soldato
OP
I would guess different USB host controllers on the different machines reacting differently to what's probably a dodgy drive.

USB2 port on the Windows 7 box by any chance?
I would expect those to work better in this case. (Slower)
That is a very good point - you are correct that the WIn 10 and Macbook both have USB 3 ports, and the Win 7 machine has (mostly) USB 2 ports. That could well be something that 'fixed' the issue I suppose! Thank you for mentioning it.

Back
Top Bottom