Ships under attack in the middle east

Caporegime
Apparently it’s been released, so much for the conspiraloons earlier in the thread ranting about the UK being a puppet state.

Well if we had kept it then yes we would be,. US asked us not to release it and then as soon as we did, it asked us to seize it back. Gibraltar said no on both times.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49379144

So what happens now, do they have to re-seize the ship now there's a warrant for its arrest from the US ?

My understanding is that this is only really effective in US waters. 'Duly authorised' is the key part, I don't think any other agency outside the USA has that unless the US wants them too, and even then they would have to agree.

If it calls into another European port (unlikely) on its way to its destination, it could be detained if it falls foul of any regulations in relation to Merchant Shipping (happens quite a lot) but this is completely different to what the US is asking.

Soldato
They can’t really say anything as it completely undermines their narrative, well aside from the lunatic who made serveral accounts, he just went on an unhinged rant as per usual.
What's sad is, no one is man enough to say "you know what fair enough, I was probably wrong and overreacted/made something up/let my conspiracy theories get the best of me/acted like a bit of a numpty/ran with an angle that turned out to be factually incorrect/insert any other dose of humility here".

Instead, there just won't be a response here now, and the same horse **** will just crop up again in another form in another thread.... Until we meet again, lunatics! :D

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Lets hope it has no major negative effects on Australian oil imports and petrol prices. Budgets are tight already.

If I recall correctly, we get a significant amount of our refined fuelstocks from China, which they import as crude from Iran.

Caporegime
China doesnt import from Iran so much that it's their whole enterprise, the Chinese have a huge Petrochemical industry (though mostly and logically for themselves).

It only accounted for ~6% in 2018 of their imports.

Soldato
Heh, the US State Dept sent an email to the Captain of the Iranian tanker offering him millions of dollars to sail the ship somewhere they could seize it :D

He ignored the email and so they put sanctions on him personally when they blacklisted the ship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49589075

According to the Financial Times, Mr Hook sent an email to the Indian captain of the Adrian Darya 1, Akhilesh Kumar, before it imposed sanctions on the ship.

"I am writing with good news," the email read. The Trump administration was willing to pay the captain several million dollars to take the ship somewhere it could be seized by US authorities.

The emails reportedly carried a state department phone number to make sure the captain - who took over the ship after it was impounded - did not think they were fake.

It was probably caught in his spam filter :p

Caporegime
Heh, the US State Dept sent an email to the Captain of the Iranian tanker offering him millions of dollars to sail the ship somewhere they could seize it :D

He ignored the email and so they put sanctions on him personally when they blacklisted the ship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49589075

It was probably caught in his spam filter :p

Shoulda hired a Nigerian Prince, they'd have gotten him!

Soldato
At the same time they magically got a virus onto his PC from a pron website he visited that gave them control of his camera and contacts address book and filmed him fapping to teens and he must send millions of dollars in bitcoin to the State Department bitcoin account or they will release the film to all the people in his contacts.................

Caporegime

I wonder if he's got family in Iran or some crew members who'd overthrow him/work more closely with Iran etc.. or just didn't trust the e-mail etc..

It does seem a bit odd both turn down millions and end up getting yourself subject to sanctions.

Wasn't he the new guy too? Anyway, as he was Indian maybe they should have gone via his wife or parents - see if he'd be able to turn down several million once some family pressure to take the cash kicked in.

Soldato
Wasn't he the new guy too? Anyway, as he was Indian maybe they should have gone via his wife or parents - see if he'd be able to turn down several million once some family pressure to take the cash kicked in.
Radio operator: "Sir, it's the US state department for you, they want to give you millions of dollars"
Captain: "not interested"
Radio operator: "Sir it's your wife, she sounds mad"
Captain: *shudders*

Soldato
Completely as predicted by anyone with even a hint of ME/Iran experience and at least an IQ above potato.

Of course next will be accusations of fake news etc, then Iran'll say it wasn't offloading just paying a port call and merry-go-round of ME realpolitik will continue.

Back
Top Bottom