Rear ended by a hire car

Associate
Don't give the chance to some fairy tale claim against you.
Happened in the past with my partner. The other driver, at faulty, was reluctant in calling on the police or reporting the accident. Turns out he wasn't insured as a main driver, someone fronting for him, and the vehicle was on it's way to Romania.
Failing to act fast could allow the other person to come up with a claim against you, even "planting" witnesses.

Caporegime
OP
Slow process so far. Managed to register the details with Enterprise who have passed the claim on to a third party called Sedgewick.

Sedgewick have put it on the back burner as the Enterperise driver unsurprisingly hasn't reported it himself. So as no one has admitted fault they arent really interested.

Lots of referring to the "alleged accident" later they agreed to contact the other driver. Seemed a little more interested when I told her I had photos.

I suspect this is going to drag on.

Associate
Slow process so far. Managed to register the details with Enterprise who have passed the claim on to a third party called Sedgewick.

Sedgewick have put it on the back burner as the Enterperise driver unsurprisingly hasn't reported it himself. So as no one has admitted fault they arent really interested.

Lots of referring to the "alleged accident" later they agreed to contact the other driver. Seemed a little more interested when I told her I had photos.

I suspect this is going to drag on.

How bad was the damage on the hire car, I wonder if he got a quick repair and denies all knowledge of it. Hopefully it should be obvious if they have a proper look at the car

Caporegime
OP
How bad was the damage on the hire car, I wonder if he got a quick repair and denies all knowledge of it. Hopefully it should be obvious if they have a proper look at the car

Wing, headlight and front bumper damage on his. I'm sure he'll try and get it fixed out of insurance. Hoping the claims company crack on and chase it before that. Otherwise I'm sure he will try and deny it.

Associate
Wing, headlight and front bumper damage on his. I'm sure he'll try and get it fixed out of insurance. Hoping the claims company crack on and chase it before that. Otherwise I'm sure he will try and deny it.
As you have pictures of the damage and the vehicle, you can threat small claims if they don't push their pace. A simple gadget, which measures paintwork thickness can easily show that a repair was done.
Bought one years ago. An one year old, ex-rental DS3 which was a stop gap car, had the whole passenger side resprayed. Hard to spot, as I'm not pro, but as the front bumper at that side had one of its clip broken, I decided to investigate. OCD, I know, but my suspicion payed out.

Soldato
Have you spoken to your own insurer. If Sedgewick are dragging their feet you might be better off getting your own insurer to deal with it.

Bare in mind that Sedgewick might well be wholey owned by enterprise. If this is the case they will be more interested in getting the cheapest outcome for enterprise then getting the right outcome for you.

Also you will need to tell your own insurer even if you don't involve them in the claim.

Transmission breaker
Don
Atleast they rang me! I was expecting lots of heel dragging.

I guess a lot depends on how silly their driver wants to play it.

All the same, claims management costs are huge, and one mention will usually get them all in gear and push it up the Q.
At least, that's my experience, someone in the industry might know better or confirm, but it's always speed up everything.

Associate
I too would go down the insurance route.

Although part of me questions if the car is of low value then is it worth paying extra on your insurance for the next 5 years (as happens even with no fault claims?)

As others have said, perhaps the risks of not informing your insurance are too high, it’s an annoying position to be in either way.

Caporegime
OP
I too would go down the insurance route.

Although part of me questions if the car is of low value then is it worth paying extra on your insurance for the next 5 years (as happens even with no fault claims?)

As others have said, perhaps the risks of not informing your insurance are too high, it’s an annoying position to be in either way.

Thanks.

I'll hopefully get it fixed and not written off, my insurance is only £400 a year so shouldn't be a massive hit.

Soldato
If they are playing games, tell them you are too busy for this, and as you have clear photos you're just going to engage a credit hire accident management company by the end of week. If they don't spring in to action, engage a credit hire accident management company and they will take your car away for estimate and repair, and have you in a replacement vehicle, as fast as you can blink.

Soldato
Sedgwick are a claims management company. They won't take it on until the driver has admitted liability as they'll be out of pocket otherwise.

I am confused why Enterprise are screwing over their insurance company who will have to pay inflated costs from Sedgwick.

I would want to be in touch with Enterprise's insurers (unless of course it is them who outsources claims handling to Sedgwick).

edit:

Reading more about them, the latter is most likely true.

https://www.sedgwick.com/solutions/global/uk

An insurance company who actually outsources everything are using Sedgwick.

Soldato
I'd be tempted to tell them that you dont feel safe in your car so will be hiring from Thrifty which you will be adding as an expense to your claim.....

Assuming heels are still being dragged

Back
Top Bottom