Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Yeah the tech support agents aren't always knowledgeable on these things. Have you checked your Max Traffic Rate for the Upstream on the modem admin pages? Mine is currently 38500089 which roughly equates to 35-36Mb after overheads. It could then be congestion that is causing the lower upload but 24 is still better than most.

I wouldn't be able to go back to lower than 20 up after being on the BT FTTP 80/20 package.

No congestion in my area because as both down/up speeds are same even at peak time. The upload config is already updated, but look like the max upload I can get is 1/3 less than max speed, because my upload speed was 15Mb out of the max 21Mb before the speed increase.

The 24Mb I am getting is not bad at all and within the guideline for the M350 package which is 21Mb but I want to access files from my home NAS sometimes which is why I went for M350 package for better upload.

Associate
So another 9 hour outage in Area 21 (or whatever it is) over here in West London. Again both Internet and TV dropped. Luckily for me I recently got 5G on EE so was able to tether my phone and get onto my work VPN. Pointless me trying to call VM, I just left it this time.

Community Fibre have just finished their install. I had a slight issue with download / upload speeds (it was pegged at around 400/500Mbps) but had to do a firmware update on the Linksys Velop node and reboot the Huawei router. The Velop system is very nice, I luckily got given 3 AP's / nodes so I probably won't need my Aruba AP anymore.

Anyway the speed speaks for itself :eek:

Associate
Hello guys, i have a strange question. I need router to use hub3, that ui destroy my brain. Freezing 9 of 10 times when go to change something. Which router i can get for up to 300 gbp?) And if it has features what i want...

Is it any way how to setup any router to have for example 1 connected lan port to be like VPN port, or even separate wifi ssid under VPN. I mean vpn like nord for example

Basically i want to use home network as usual and have my NAS connected via wifi or lan under VPN.

Associate
For all the people thinking of leaving VM, VM are doing 100Mb with a Talk Weekend phone package inc line rental for £26 (12 month contract) - price goes up after 12 months to £49 pcm but ring to negotiate at that time. Anyone know what the current upload of the 100Mb package these days after the recent upload upgrades?

Soldato
rang up and cancelled today. was on 350 broadband only package at £43 a month. discount was coming off this month so price was going up to 52 quid a month. retentions were only able to get to down to around 46 quid a month. no point in staying since city fiber is in my area now so will go with vodafone gigafast. 500meg up and down with voda is £38 a month.

Associate
Anyone using a 3rd party router? I picked up the Netgear XR500 the other week. Stepdads nearly at 400Mbps lol. Should note we pay for i think.. 300 last i checked

I've used various routers over time with Virgin before I ended my services recently, various Asus routers, Edgerouters, PFSense - all work fine. Virgin overprovision slightly so your speeds usually exceed what they quote. I found the service in general very good, just prices now compared to the competition and bundling 500Mb with a package only and not as a separate product (an insult to loyal users imo).

Associate
I never got any confirmation of cancellation, any phonecalls during the 30 day notice period or email when the services had ceased. I did get the email to say they want their kit back and they are posting a returns box/envelope for the modem.

Soldato
yes the lady did say they will send out a return pack for the hub3. also said they would send out a check with some money back due to the days left over from cancellation period.
labcoattech: what was the better deal retentions offered you? did u take it?

Back
Top Bottom