Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
From Ars:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/stadias-e3-doom-eternal-demo-made-me-a-cloud-gaming-believer

The interesting thing I took away from this is that Google refused to allow him to do a speed test. I mean, on a beefy connection with enterprise gear and QoS setup, that's a different kettle entirely to my £20 Vodaphone router on a FTTC that's shared with my street.

Ofc they did, especially since they're next door to a server. ;)

Not gonna look so great once real world results come in.

Man of Honour
I thought that but they were plugged into Chromebooks with a USB cable during this E3 week as Phil H said with so many Bluetooth controllers in one room, they'd interfere with each other. Maybe he meant Wifi?

The idea behind using WiFi is to minimise the input lag I believe.

Soldato
Well it still is exciting but it all depends on how much of a discount you get on games if you're a pro member.

Also the price of the games itself, will they be in the 'console' bracket or the 'PC' bracket - when a game is released across platforms you can normally find the PC version ~£10 cheaper than the console version.

Data cap issue seems to be more of a US thing as I don't know of many ISP data caps in the UK, apart from a minority. Of course there is more of a data worry on mobile but not at home.

So tempted by it but all I ever think about that puts me off is I'd rather take the graphical hit but be able to play my game when there isn't an internet connection, on the Nintendo Switch.

Associate
No doubt Google Stadia is a war on every platform out there. It'll be a success and change gaming. Exclusives are being tied up and they have an in-house studio developing exclusive titles.

Next gen consoles aren't even released yet and already Stadia's features are making them look old hat.

Only people with a negative view on the platform are those with a poor internet connection and physical media dinosaurs like this idiot below:

Soldato
A success and change gaming? I'm not so sure about that. Not one of my irl friends have actually mentioned anything about stadia, I'd be surprised if they even knew it existed and a lot of them have a PlayStation or Eggbox.

Associate
Had a few mates at work talk about it. So it's out there in the form of word of mouth. It's not even been released yet.

Google have deep pockets, all it takes is something like GTA 6 Stadia exclusive for (insert months/years). It's almost inevitable a big exclusive/s deal will be made at point. Wouldn't surprise me.

Soldato
Only people with a negative view on the platform are those with a poor internet connection and physical media dinosaurs like this idiot below:

I feel that you haven't yet had the pleasure of using an eShop and it going offline with no way to access your game.

I'm a fan of Google but let's look at their track record with how many of their services they have tried and then taken offline.

Whether you like it or not, physical media is king of OWNING the game. Even with Steam you're never buying the game, you're just buying a license to use the game, and if Steam ever went bust, that's your whole library gone.

The video you linked is of a guy I regularly watch and is a collector of games. I, myself, am not a collector but I do prefer having a physical copy of a game knowing I'll have it forver. However I do see the benefits of digital media and I was all for what Xbone originally wanted to do with their games. The reason i was for it is because the games were likely going to be a lower price.

The only reason digital hasn't completely wiped out physical IMO is because you can often find physical games for a lot less than digital.

I think Nintendo is doing the best with their eShop as they are often doing sales making digital versions a lot cheaper, which makes the trade-off worthwhile

Associate
I feel that you haven't yet had the pleasure of using an eShop and it going offline with no way to access your game.

I'm a fan of Google but let's look at their track record with how many of their services they have tried and then taken offline.

Whether you like it or not, physical media is king of OWNING the game. Even with Steam you're never buying the game, you're just buying a license to use the game, and if Steam ever went bust, that's your whole library gone.

The video you linked is of a guy I regularly watch and is a collector of games. I, myself, am not a collector but I do prefer having a physical copy of a game knowing I'll have it forver. However I do see the benefits of digital media and I was all for what Xbone originally wanted to do with their games. The reason i was for it is because the games were likely going to be a lower price.

The only reason digital hasn't completely wiped out physical IMO is because you can often find physical games for a lot less than digital.

I think Nintendo is doing the best with their eShop as they are often doing sales making digital versions a lot cheaper, which makes the trade-off worthwhile

Fair enough, but that physical game you own will more than likely need a patch. It's incomplete.

Also, nothing is forever on propriety consoles, anyway.

PC is an open platform and games can be preserved in one form or another. A lot of games on Steam are even DRM free and of course you have DRM free services like GOG, which you could just back up your games and store them anywhere you wish. In fact, in that sense owning a physical version is worse i.e. incomplete versions, disc breaks/scratches, or even lost, then you have access to nothing. Not to mention cartridge rot and optical disc degradation.

The only reason physical media is still a "thing" is because publishers want it to be, for now.

Lastly, Steam, etc aren't going away in the near future. Too much competition on PC for that to happen and if they do, you'll probably be dead anyway by that point.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No doubt Google Stadia is a war on every platform out there. It'll be a success and change gaming. Exclusives are being tied up and they have an in-house studio developing exclusive titles.

Next gen consoles aren't even released yet and already Stadia's features are making them look old hat.

What are you babbling on about?

I primarily play tough platformers/metroidvanias (super meat boy, Celeste, hollow knight etc.) and competitive online games so the input lag (which is physically impossible to remove) just isn't acceptable to me. That's even considering my 10Gb/10Gb fibre connection to my home.

Associate
What are you babbling on about?

I primarily play tough platformers/metroidvanias (super meat boy, Celeste, hollow knight etc.) and competitive online games so the input lag (which is physically impossible to remove) just isn't acceptable to me. That's even considering my 10Gb/10Gb fibre connection to my home.

Continue to play them on platforms of your choice then. No one is forcing you to play those type of games on Stadia.

Soldato
It will expand the market, and take a the bottom 10% or so of console owners but that's it. How much it expands will be interesting, certainly time to get into publisher stocks. If you imagine a mega-hit like GTA5 was released on all platforms + Stadia, it would sell an absurd amount of copies - probably double console only.

There will always be a enthusiast install base with physical hardware, yes it will be smaller but I can't see demand ever disappearing. I do think that the PS4 is peak though, 5 won't sell as many units and it's all downhill from there.

Soldato
Had a few mates at work talk about it. So it's out there in the form of word of mouth. It's not even been released yet.

Google have deep pockets, all it takes is something like GTA 6 Stadia exclusive for (insert months/years). It's almost inevitable a big exclusive/s deal will be made at point. Wouldn't surprise me.
That isn't a valid argument, they're a business so if they release it and see it's not viable or the public aren't interested they would pull the plug, exclusives or not.

Back
Top Bottom