Returning to the UK - Manchester

Soldato
:D

I think my favourite thing about this ‘residing in Manchester’ thread is that it’s quickly devolving I to a curry house debate :p

And rightly so!

I think Akbars does what it does brilliantly. I've never had a korma from there but the lamb handi is one of my favourites and the massala fish starter is to die for. You can't complain about the price either! It's one of the cheapest curry restaurants in Manchester City centre. Although I agree with One More Solo, this n that, marhaba and yadgars are all cheap as hell and so some amazing, authentic curries.

I'd go to marhaba for the naan alone.

Soldato
And rightly so!

I think Akbars does what it does brilliantly. I've never had a korma from there but the lamb handi is one of my favourites and the massala fish starter is to die for. You can't complain about the price either! It's one of the cheapest curry restaurants in Manchester City centre. Although I agree with One More Solo, this n that, marhaba and yadgars are all cheap as hell and so some amazing, authentic curries.

I'd go to marhaba for the naan alone.

I’m not at all surprised that you’re pleased about a cheap handi in Manchester :D

Associate
Manchester is ace, been here over 20 years now, through studentdom and house-ownership.

With the tram/train there's pretty good access into the city from a wide area - but it's a pain going radially around the city (everything goes in and out of the centre, like spokes on a bike)

All directions have areas that are nice and not nice... like everywhere, i guess...

South:
probably most popular (and most well known to any manc students)
Fallowfield, Withington, Didsbury (getting better in that order) are v studenty, with lots of grim rentals.
Sale, Chorlton and Altrincham, Wilmslow, Alderley Edge are quite decent/expensive
avoid Wythenshawe
Stockport is ok, with Heaton Moor and Heaton Chapel being quite desirable (good train link into Manc and close to motorway to drive).
further out, like Knutsford and Mobberly, is getting quite nice, but A6 can be a pain to drive during busy times

South East:
Romily, Marple - v nice and popular - but a pig of a drive during busy times, as limited road options

East:
probably has a worse reputation than it deserves, as long as you go far enough out...
inside the ring-road is pretty iffy unless you want to goto Man City regularly
outside the ring road - avoid Hattersley (and probably Hyde)
but go beyond them to Glossop and it's quite nice, getting into the edge of the Peak District

North East:
Oldham is pretty poor and needs to improve (as does everything between it and the centre), but outside Oldham has some v nice areas.
Saddleworth (Greenfield and Uppermill) are v desirable being on the edge of the Peak district
Moving more northerly there's loads of nice little villages (Delph, Diggle, etc) which are nice, but you'll need to drive to a train/tram to get into the city

North:
Rochdale and Bury are probably the problems, with some bad reputations they may well not deserve (all the time)
Outside Rochdale, Littleborough and Hollingworth are nice

West,
Sadly, I don't know the west as well as I do the East.
inside the M60 - Salford is a mixed bad. Uni there, so quite studenty and some areas of Salford are less-ideal
but Salford Quays has been developed a lot, and is quite nice now.
Can be a pain to get anywhere around there on match days tho, as it's close to Old Trafford/Man U.
M60 West can be a pain around Trafford Park too, especially around Xmas
Outside the M60, I seem to remember thinking some areas of Worsley seemed nice, near the canal

Coming to the city, finding somewhere nice to rent, with some rural greenery and good links to the city - tbh, I'd look Marple (train), Heaton Moor (train), Greenfield (train), Timperley/Sale (tram), Wilmslow (train), Littleborough (train)

I haz 4090!
Don
Even as far out as Tyldesley and Atherton now along the guided but route

We got a mention! Yes! Grew up in Tyldesley and live in Atherton.

Cheap round here (you'll save £150k on the same house in Worsley which is 10 mins away). But they're both dumps. Guided bus lane which gets you into Manc in 40 mins, or Atherton has a train station to save time and commuting with poor people. House prices should go up in the next decade or so, Manchester is getting hugely popular now, a lot of companies moving up from London, so anywhere commutable should see a decent increase.

Associate
daughter moved in to a house there about 8 years ago. it was a combination of little bangladesh and somalia, only 3 white faces on the street when the Police weren't in attendance at a murder/burglary/violent abuse situation. all the shops labelled in arabic and being behind the curry mile it was alternately infested with cockroaches/mice etc. good place to live.

Associate
daughter moved in to a house there about 8 years ago. it was a combination of little bangladesh and somalia, only 3 white faces on the street when the Police weren't in attendance at a murder/burglary/violent abuse situation. all the shops labelled in arabic and being behind the curry mile it was alternately infested with cockroaches/mice etc. good place to live.

That area is truly a hole, rusholme, victoria park, moss side, longsight, ardwick, fallowfield - just avoid. Slums + slum housing for students = prey for the wildlife. Literally no good reason to go there

Soldato

As above, if you pick the rough areas to live in, what do you expect.

Every city and town across the UK has its rough areas.

Associate
As a rule of thumb...If you don't want to live right in the centre (lets say that's within the ring road/trinity way/mancunian way)...exclude everything in a 4-5 km circumference from the centre if you can afford to do so. Yes these areas a lively and close to the city but they are scummy and heavily student populated (especially to the south). Places like didsbury and especially chorlton, if you can't afford the nicer parts (and they are very overpriced), forget it.

Soldato
I live in far west Manchester, basically country side where I am so a lot nicer than Salford for example which is a dump.
I couldn't live in the city though it's too grubby.

Associate
what is your
I live in far west Manchester, basically country side where I am so a lot nicer than Salford for example which is a dump.
I couldn't live in the city though it's too grubby.

Boothstown here for 18 years and no intention of moving. Love it. To the west is is quite easy to get in a semi rural location and still have the city accessible (after living in didsbury, chorlton, ardwick, trinity, longsight, moss side)

Soldato
what is your

Boothstown here for 18 years and no intention of moving. Love it. To the west is is quite easy to get in a semi rural location and still have the city accessible (after living in didsbury, chorlton, ardwick, trinity, longsight, moss side)
Exactly, only a 20 minutes from town but far enough away to be a nice area.
I couldn't live somewhere without green areas, view from our house is nothing but hills, trees and a river.
The city has amongst the worst air quality in the UK not somewhere I would want to be.
For shopping i prefer the Trafford Center or Bolton town center.
I wouldn't also like to deal with traffic inside the M60 on a daily basis either.

Soldato
(after living in didsbury, chorlton, ardwick, trinity, longsight, moss side)

Wow that's certainly a range of areas! Surely not in that order though? No one in their right mind would go from living in Didsbury/Chorlton to ending up in Longsight/Moss Side :p

Associate
Wow that's certainly a range of areas! Surely not in that order though? No one in their right mind would go from living in Didsbury/Chorlton to ending up in Longsight/Moss Side :p

Yeah not that order. Went from moss side to didsbury following a home invasion which I was thankfully not around for (and not living with a family!).

Associate
OP
To the OP, what is your budget and what are you looking for in a house/flat/area?

I am budgeting 750 pm but can go to 850 if its worth it. Looking for a minimum 2 bed with a nice enough garden as we have a cat coming with us. I would like something near a tram line as the job is close to that. Not looking to get a car yet as I know its horrendous in a city to drive sometimes. Auckland is excellent for 1 hour commutes if you leave the house after 6am from the suburbs. I will get a car in a few months after being there as I would like to explore a bit with the wife.

Back
Top Bottom