Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
Did you get a good one this time then? Ordered from the rainforest place again?
Yup perfect panel. Rainforest.

For once I will actually put grief on rainforest and say potentially the first two panels I got might have even returns as they had no tape according to my dad on the screws to attach the monitor to the stand whilst this one did.

Either way I’m done and happy.

Easily the best ultrawide panel I’ve experienced and I’ve experienced them all during my ocd process. The black equaliser and va panels to make dark peformancr amazing is incredible.

Also I don’t know why but it’s handling of lower frame rates is smooth than native gsync panels I’ve used which is downright crazy.

Associate

For once I will actually put grief on rainforest and say potentially the first two panels I got might have even returns as they had no tape according to my dad on the screws to attach the monitor to the stand whilst this one did.

Easily the best ultrawide panel I’ve experienced and I’ve experienced them all during my ocd process. The black equaliser and va panels to make dark peformancr amazing is incredible.

Also I don’t know why but it’s handling of lower frame rates is smooth than native gsync panels I’ve used which is downright crazy.

I kind of talked myself out of buying this and sticking with the AW panel and now you have me thinking about it again :D

Soldato
I kind of talked myself out of buying this and sticking with the AW panel and now you have me thinking about it again :D

they are polar opposites

one is cutting edge, va, beautiful tech, super immersive, cheap crap build quality with crap support
the other is refined, proven, versatile, built like a tank, best in class build quality,.

Associate

I know how they operate and there is 0 chance you would have been sent a return from them if it was classed as new.

Any returns are processed differently and sold as new etc after testing.

Soldato
I know how they operate and there is 0 chance you would have been sent a return from them if it was classed as new.

I see. Then how come my monitor which didn't have a defect was properly packaged but the defective ones weren't?

Associate

That made no sense. You said, no chance of it being a return if it was sold as new and then said returns are processed and sold as new.

Soldato
Thanks, didn't know that. Never bought used stuff of Amazon yet. I'll watch out for @aoaaron returned units for a bargain then.

I'm returning them this Wednesday so look out for them.

One has a bright white stuckl pixel in the middle of the screen that dead on a black screen.
The other has two black dead pixels in which are in the chrome menu bar and address bar. TBH I could have stuck with that one and been relatively happy.

Btw guys, this monitor is edgelit right so on a black screen if you look REALLY hard or from an angle, we can see them?

Soldato
I'm returning them this Wednesday so look out for them.

One has a bright white stuckl pixel in the middle of the screen that dead on a black screen.
The other has two black dead pixels in which are in the chrome menu bar and address bar. TBH I could have stuck with that one and been relatively happy.

Btw guys, this monitor is edgelit right so on a black screen if you look REALLY hard or from an angle, we can see them?

Update. Decided to keep the 2 dead pixel one for now, until the return has cleared and return the noisy one. It developed flickering, it was constantly sparking from left to right, despite havinng a 24 hour burn in period.

The two dead pizel one seems flicker resistant, and has perfect no BLB.

Associate
Update. Decided to keep the 2 dead pixel one for now, until the return has cleared and return the noisy one. It developed flickering, it was constantly sparking from left to right, despite havinng a 24 hour burn in period.

The two dead pizel one seems flicker resistant, and has perfect no BLB.

Lol, damn. The two pixel one was the one I was going to go for.

It shouldn't be this difficult to get a good quality monitor when you're paying over £1000. Clearly LG and Samsung do very limited testing on these before they are shipped.

I guess it's just cheaper for them to deal with the returns as long as they don't get out of hand.

Soldato
Lol, damn. The two pixel one was the one I was going to go for.

It shouldn't be this difficult to get a good quality monitor when you're paying over £1000. Clearly LG and Samsung do very limited testing on these before they are shipped.

I guess it's just cheaper for them to deal with the returns as long as they don't get out of hand.

i wouldnt go for the noisy one... i think its got some form of electrical fault.

Associate
I wanted to check if other peoples back light bleed is as bad as mine: -

ZKrQgV7.jpg

I know the camera makes it looks worse than it is but it's still really bad in person as well. Much worse than my aw3418dw

Associate
To make matters worse this is my second screen I got yesterday as a replacement for the first one with the same issue.

I haven't had any stuck pixels or weird noises and the screen is totally amazing other than the backlight bleed issues.

It's such a shame as I don't see an alternative upgrade from my Alienware without spending silly money and still there is issues with them as well.

Associate
It looks like it is local dimming since the bits with icons and text on them look worse i.e. those zones are on, others are off.

Shouldn't this be done with a completely black screen?

What camera settings did you use? I guess any screen will look like it has backlight bleed if you expose long enough. Be good to see some other shots at different exposures to judge it better.

Associate
I think with local dimming set to auto it gets enabled when a HDR signal is detected, otherwise it's off. The screenshot was the loading screen of Control which doesn't support HDR. HDR is also set to off in windows as it makes everything dull.

In a HDR supported game like FarCry new dawn the black area's are very black but the haloing is pretty bad in the areas with something on the screen

I used my Oneplus 7 pro camera in point and shoot mode. Happy to provide more pictures when I get back from work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom