Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
I think with local dimming set to auto it gets enabled when a HDR signal is detected, otherwise it's off. The screenshot was the loading screen of Control which doesn't support HDR. HDR is also set to off in windows as it makes everything dull.

In a HDR supported game like FarCry new dawn the black area's are very black but the haloing is pretty bad in the areas with something on the screen

I used my Oneplus 7 pro camera in point and shoot mode. Happy to provide more pictures when I get back from work

So you've ordered 2 screens in a row that had the same backlight bleed in non HDR? If so then I'm not sure the product should be on the market.

Associate
The trouble is none of the rest are any better quality wise.

The other screen I was considering is the LG34K950F. If you read any user reviews about that they are just as bad. Dead pixels, backlight bleed, IPS glow and panels with whole sections just broken.

Monitor manufacturers need a good kicking.

Associate
So you've ordered 2 screens in a row that had the same backlight bleed in non HDR? If so then I'm not sure the product should be on the market.

Yeah both screens are this bad in non HDR mode, I've tried many settings to reduce it without success.

Not sure if it's a bad batch or just poor QC from Samsung. Seems to be an all too common issue these days with monitors

My replacement screen is going back as well now so the search continues. I was interested in the ASUS XG438Q but it also has problems.

Last edited:
Associate
Ugh, this is very trying. I must be unlucky. Took 2 weeks to get my first monitor - after one day it started to make a "buzzing" noise from the top right hand side. I RMA'ed it. Waited a week later and got an email stating "OC has had this monitor on for two straight days, under max load, and no noises can be heard - the monitor is being delivered back to you tomorrow".

Erm, no. Firstly, I'm not deaf I can hear the noise it only started after one day, its on the right hand side and I can clearly hear it. The "Tech" said it must be a fan then, wtf. I said no its not and I do not want a monitor back thats been in the workshop for two days at max load. So, I said I would wait for a new shipment to come in and get one. Then waited a week, nothing.

So I found another source on Amazon, got another monitor delivered within 3 days.... But.... now this monitor has ghosting, when I move the mouse things get blurry - in Wow, when moving the mouse the game gets blurry. The first one was not like this.. Jeez, I'm losing the will to live with this monitor. Just bad luck I suppose.

Is there anything I can try to sort out the ghosting, before I return this monitor and never try to purchase another 49in ever again!

Thanks guys.

SK

Associate
"Tech" said it must be a fan then, wtf.

Is there anything I can try to sort out the ghosting, before I return this monitor

SK

Does this monitor even have a fan? I don't remember it being mentioned in any reviews.

Can't tell from your post but have you tried different refresh rates and overdrive settings? Others have said you can't change overdrive with freesync on so you would have to make sure that was off first.

Thinking about buying this monitor soon but reports of problems are worrying.

Associate
Is a RTX 2070 Super going to be enough to drive this screen?

Also re the reported buzzing do you only get it when certain things are on the screen? As my current Dell has always done it but only when I have a lot of vertical and horizontal lines on screen e.g. an excel spreadsheet.

Soldato
Is a RTX 2070 Super going to be enough to drive this screen?

Also re the reported buzzing do you only get it when certain things are on the screen? As my current Dell has always done it but only when I have a lot of vertical and horizontal lines on screen e.g. an excel spreadsheet.

A 2070S will suffice for most games.
You can always downscale and Nvidia sharpen too.

Soldato
Has anyone bought this screen from overclockers? Any issues with faults? Not sure whether to chance a monitor from them.. but the return policy on small companies always seems terrible with dead pixels etc.

Soldato
Pfft, it's got to the point these days where I'd never buy a monitor from anywhere other than the only place that has no quibble returns. Odds of faults are so high, it's just not worth the hassle.

Soldato
Pfft, it's got to the point these days where I'd never buy a monitor from anywhere other than the only place that has no quibble returns. Odds of faults are so high, it's just not worth the hassle.

Fair enough thanks. Rainforest said I can return the CRG9.. even 6 months from now.. so I'm thinking of playing with it and then making a decision in a couple of months whether I try to get a replacement or just return it and possibly get an OLED TV. somehow I think it won't work from a desk though...

Soldato
Fair enough thanks. Rainforest said I can return the CRG9.. even 6 months from now.. so I'm thinking of playing with it and then making a decision in a couple of months whether I try to get a replacement or just return it and possibly get an OLED TV. somehow I think it won't work from a desk though...

No OLEDs less than 55", so at a regular desk, normal sitting distance, that's really not ideal. LG have a 48" OLED due next year, but that barely solves the issue. Rainforest are solid for returns, so worth trying out and seeing how it is. Personally, reviews haven't encouraged me, and the measly 10-dimming zones is FAR from ideal. This video from the Rtings review is quite revealing, although obviously somewhat unrepresentative given you will hardly be using it to play Pong, but it highlights the issue nonetheless.

Soldato
No OLEDs less than 55", so at a regular desk, normal sitting distance, that's really not ideal. LG have a 48" OLED due next year, but that barely solves the issue. Rainforest are solid for returns, so worth trying out and seeing how it is. Personally, reviews haven't encouraged me, and the measly 10-dimming zones is FAR from ideal. This video from the Rtings review is quite revealing, although obviously somewhat unrepresentative given you will hardly be using it to play Pong, but it highlights the issue nonetheless.

I mean I'm using the CRG9 right now and I can say regardless of RTING's review, the monitor is incredible. I don't engage local dimming and I assume for HDR it will pale in comparison to true FALD or OLED... but its an AMAZING monitor.

Sadly its moreso just the fact that I have an OLED itch for those inky blacks. I have a panasonic 902b 65'' which has put me in a difficult position of basically needing to buy at LEAST a 65 inch oled to replace it, most likely a 75 inch TV.. which in OLED terms is above what i think they're worth.

My solution was to get a 55'' OLED for monitor use and set it a little bit a back. I haven't done the measurements though and sadly I fear you're right that it just won't give the intimate experience my CRG9 does. I feel like i'll be taking a big hit to black levels which just isn't worth it.

Associate
Does this monitor even have a fan? I don't remember it being mentioned in any reviews.

Can't tell from your post but have you tried different refresh rates and overdrive settings? Others have said you can't change overdrive with freesync on so you would have to make sure that was off first.

Thinking about buying this monitor soon but reports of problems are worrying.

Well, just got my third monitor - opened it up, set it up and.......its got the same whine - in the same area, top right hand side, as the first monitor. The ghosting is slightly better than the second, but its still there. I tried all different kinds of refresh rates, with the FS on/off etc.. I've had enough, 3 monitors now and each one has had something wrong with it - for £1100+, this is not acceptable. I've been without a production monitor now for 5 weeks.

I'm getting a refund and never purchasing another Samsung monitor again.

/grumble.

EDIT: Ok, so the ghosting is not as bad as Monitor 2, and the buzzing noise is not as bad as Monitor 1 - they are both still there. So, I might keep it - as the pictures looks gorgeous and the size, the size!

I do have a question for anyone running this beast. Can you get 10 Output Colour Depth to work in the Nvidia Control Panel for the 5120 x 1440 resolution at 120hz. Is that even possible. I have the RX 2070 Super Card. When lowering to 100Hz, I can choose the 10 bpc option. I would love to run it at 12 bpc, but that options is not available.

I would love to see this running at 5120x1440 @ 120Hz with 12 bpc!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Associate
Running 5120x1440 resolution at 120 Hz with 10 bpc (without compression, CVT-R2) requires 28.55 Gbit/s bandwidth. And DP 1.4 can only provide 25.92 Gbit/s.

Associate
Running 5120x1440 resolution at 120 Hz with 10 bpc (without compression, CVT-R2) requires 28.55 Gbit/s bandwidth. And DP 1.4 can only provide 25.92 Gbit/s.

Thanks bud - max I can get is 10 bpc @ 100Hz.

Another question, upon starting the monitor up, I keep getting multiple clicking noise from all over the panel, they gradually die down as the panel gets hot, takes about 4 minutes.

Is this something worry about? I have 16 days to return this.

Soldato
Quick (and probably stupid) question on this...

I’m leaning towards this monitor, and would be running it with an RTX 2080.

In many games the 2080 will struggle to supply a high FPS at such a high resolution.

If I were to select a lower resolution in game, UHD for example, would I then be able to run that game with borders and no performance hit compared to running it on a native UHD monitor?

Cheers...

Back
Top Bottom