• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you think a used GTX1070 with modded fan cooling would sell?

rn2

rn2

Associate
One day I will be selling my Asus GTX1070 Dual series card.

The stock fans on it were very noisy at top speed so I modded it.

My GTX1070 now has..

An ARCTIC Accelero Twin Turbo III back plate https://ibb.co/P5y5kDR (I removed those fans to as they were still creating noise).

And one 140mm BeQuiet Silent fan 3 attached to it.

Now obviously someone will need a lot of room in their case for this card (length and height) and due to the back plate it is on the heavier side which is why the card is cable tied to a higher section of my computer case to take the weight off (a graphics card brace support stand could be used).

The card now never goes over 60oC under full load in the summer (in a decent sized case with decent fans) and is silent.

I haven't got a picture of it but It all looks very neat and simple.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Personally I wouldn't purchase it, can you not put it back to stock?

Maybe. If I can find all the bits. Stock is pretty crap though.

Found this video on Youtube

https://youtu.be/4TWom8IYqUs?t=65

I am now starting think that someone might return it with stock fans due to the horiffic noise they make.

I guess I will see what happens when I try and sale it as it is!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it will sell either here or on an auction site as long as it’s well explained and cheaper than the stock model.

Soldato
Maybe. If I can find all the bits. Stock is pretty crap though.

Found this video on Youtube

https://youtu.be/4TWom8IYqUs?t=65

I am now starting think that someone might return it with stock fans due to the horiffic noise they make.

I guess I will see what happens when I try and sale it as it is!

Blimey!

That video makes me appreciate just how good the cooling is on my MSI Quicksilver 1070.

The highest temp I've ever seen is around 64/65c during the summer heatwave.

Soldato
Don’t think it would hurt value personally. Especially if it’s making a card much cooler and quieter.

If anything just include the original heatsink and parts and the next owner can return the card back to stock condition if required.

Soldato
If I saw a modded card for sale I'd think extreme usage and near end of life.

I'd rather buy a card with factory cooling, clean and no sign of dust. One that's been looked after.

The same with buying a car, I'd rather buy a car with all factory parts vs one that's been modded by a boy racer and likely worn out.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
https://i.ibb.co/KbtZk1D/Computer.jpg

Here is a picture of it before doing some benchmarking and figuring out that one 140mm fan is just as effective as two.

It’s interesting to see different opinions on this. I have the old cooler but I may be missing some screws.

@CuriousTomCat I hardly ever pushed this card to full usage and most of the time it has below average use (gpu usage wise) this card has been well looked after and my computer case is cleaned when needed. I understand your theory but it’s not true with my card and at least with my card it shows it was used for gaming rather than mining.

The card more likely has more life left in it than a standard stock cooled card, plus the fact it’s history. I have a feeling that I am using the accelero heat pipes too which are better than stock.

Yes I'd try to skew it as a higher quality part, which it is. Someone will see the value in it

Well it is really, it has another £65 worth of gear on it. It is silent too. Anyone who uses these 140mm be quiet 3 fans can understand just how quiet it would be.

Blimey!

That video makes me appreciate just how good the cooling is on my MSI Quicksilver 1070.

The highest temp I've ever seen is around 64/65c during the summer heatwave.

It’s bad isn’t it? I remember when I heard it and it bugged me so much. I managed to get a replacement card and it was the same so I put it down to these cards just having really horrible fans but the accelero 3 also emitted a noise although not as bad. I’m really happy with the final result but by the end of next year I’ll be getting a whole new system as games are starting to become more demanding for my CPU I74790(Non K) and although people always say that the GTX1070 is enough for 1080p i believe the GTX1080 would have been a better bet but that’s just me being picky.

P.S I believe that having the big back plate and better heat sinks/pipes helped a lot and the 140mm fan worked with this.

Also I had this setup in my old small computer case and it cooled it better in there too with the little intake and exhaust fans on the case lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://i.ibb.co/KbtZk1D/Computer.jpg

Here is a picture of it before doing some benchmarking and figuring out that one 140mm fan is just as effective as two.

It’s interesting to see different opinions on this. I have the old cooler but I may be missing some screws.

@CuriousTomCat I hardly ever pushed this card to full usage and most of the time it has below average use (gpu usage wise) this card has been well looked after and my computer case is cleaned when needed. I understand your theory but it’s not true with my card and at least with my card it shows it was used for gaming rather than mining.

The card more likely has more life left in it than a standard stock cooled card, plus the fact it’s history. I have a feeling that I am using the accelero heat pipes too which are better than stock.

Well it is really, it has another £65 worth of gear on it. It is silent too. Anyone who uses these 140mm be quiet 3 fans can understand just how quiet it would be.

It’s bad isn’t it? I remember when I heard it and it bugged me so much. I managed to get a replacement card and it was the same so I put it down to these cards just having really horrible fans but the accelero 3 also emitted a noise although not as bad. I’m really happy with the final result but by the end of next year I’ll be getting a whole new system as games are starting to become more demanding for my CPU I74790(Non K) and although people always say that the GTX1070 is enough for 1080p i believe the GTX1080 would have been a better bet but that’s just me being picky.

P.S I believe that having the big back plate and better heat sinks/pipes helped a lot and the 140mm fan worked with this.

Also I had this setup in my old small computer case and it cooled it better in there too with the little intake and exhaust fans on the case lol.
I completely agree with you but curious tomcat is right the value will go down as the majority of people don’t want a modded card same as a modded car. It either reduces the market significantly or the price.

Associate
Easier to sell using the stock cooler, if I'm honest. Also you can sell the aftermarket cooler.
I understand that some people will watercooled or install aftermarket coolers to improve temperature, but the vast majority of users simply will only see the bad side of it, and assume always the worst.
My 2080 has been watercooled from day 2. Never going over lower 40s, and running stock. But anyone would think that is watercooled so I can push it to the limit.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I’ll guess I will find out next year :) I’ll post back here with the results one day ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom