What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
It is yes but it's not a US poorly made vehicle shipped around it's a South African poorly made vehicle shipped around :p the original comment was that is was a US vehicle originally

Ford refused to repair it saying it was normal and if I didn't agree to take it to the ombudsman which I did and won :)

I'd be asking for them to buy it back, it's clearly not up to standards. Was this not an option?

Caporegime
Turns out there is a leak in the aircon system, took it to Kwik fit to get it regal but their machine says the pressure isn't holding or something. Now to the garage to get that fixed…

Anyone know how much potentially this will cost?

Aircon leaks can be a piece of string. Could be buttons but can run in to hundreds very easily.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Caporegime
You know you want to...

If it makes you feel better though I'm looking at a 2.5k bill next month for the Porsche.

I do…i find myself turning my head when I see them on the road (when I am a pedestrian) :p besides the really old vintage cars. I don't even look at the 911 or any Audi RS cars, but a Cayman….I find myself checking it out, whether it is in a carpark or parked on the street.

Soldato
Fitted a reverse camera to the wife's X3. The car is pretty well specced but for whatever reason the original owner didn't add a reverse camera. Rather than fit OEM parts (about £500+) or one of the MMI interfaces that just overlays, I thought I'd try one of the reverse emulator modules. It just so happened that I had a spare reverse camera from my 3 series that replaces the boot handle which works fine but the angle was a little off but it doesn't seem to be so bad in the X3.

cam.jpg

Total cost of £40 for the module, 2 hours of my time for fitting and 5 minutes to code 3AG onto the car. Not bad going. Unfortunately the steering angle and obstacle marking doesn't appear to work like it would with OEM or one of the more expensive emulators, but can't complain at that price.

Also, a few weeks back I sold a spare 8.8" screen I had for an F30 on Ebay. I know it worked fine but the buyer claimed it didn't so I had to refund him. While I had the X3 apart I thought I'd give the screen a quick test (F30 and F25 screens are different but connector is the same as both these cars have NBT) as I thought I'd been shafted so was pleasantly surprised to see this:

IMG-5427.jpg

Result.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Fitted a reverse camera to the wife's X3. The car is pretty well specced but for whatever reason the original owner didn't add a reverse camera. Rather than fit OEM parts (about £500+) or one of the MMI interfaces that just overlays, I thought I'd try one of the reverse emulator modules. It just so happened that I had a spare reverse camera from my 3 series that replaces the boot handle which works fine but the angle was a little off but it doesn't seem to be so bad in the X3.

cam.jpg

Total cost of £40 for the module, 2 hours of my time for fitting and 5 minutes to code 3AG onto the car. Not bad going. Unfortunately the steering angle and obstacle marking doesn't appear to work like it would with OEM or one of the more expensive emulators, but can't complain at that price.
Result.

How did you get a camera emulator for £40? :) I have an X3 which i'd like to do this with if it were cheap. The modules i have seen on ebay appear to all be a few hundred for non OEM or £500+ for OEM?

Soldato
I got one of the modules from AliExpress. This one to be precise:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33035...d=8787amp-4XYTZR65RwmvlxESJg0VtA1567873446046

It doesn’t state F25 specifically but I figured it should work with any car with NBT and so I took the gamble. Total of $51 US with faster shipping option. Only downside with this one is that it needs manual splicing into the quadlock wires but you could make a plug in harness without too much hassle.

You then just need any of the standard cameras with a standard composite video out. The £20 one I had on my F30 works perfectly and it’s the same fit for the F25.

Soldato
It should do the trick. Looks the same as mine but for CIC so as long as you have the CIC head unit with the larger screen rather than the smaller one it should be fine. Fitting really isn't too bad - push the terminals for the video connector straight into their relevant holes on the quadlock connector then splice the power, ground, can low and can high wires into the wiring that goes to the head unit. Or if you don't want to mess with tapping into the car's wires directly, get a quadlock extension and splice the wires into that.

The white wire from the module is a +12v for the camera and there's a convenient ground point screw in the boot lid underneath the trim for the camera's ground. Other than the boot lid the only piece of trim I had to remove to get the video cable down the other end of the car was in the passenger footwell under the glove box, otherwise it all tucked in easily enough. The video cable that came with my camera also had a convenient power wire moulded in with it that I just connected at each end too.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Very nice, thanks for the advice. I recently bought an ethernet cable for it, so will get to grips with the coding when i have some time. I'll then tackle this at this price. :) Yes its a 2011 with CIC with the large screen. Like yours, it is nearly full spec but oddly is missing the camera which my wife was a little annoyed about when i bought it.

Soldato
Turns out there is a leak in the aircon system, took it to Kwik fit to get it regas but their machine says the pressure isn't holding or something. Now to the garage to get that fixed…

Anyone know how much potentially this will cost?

I recently paid about £250 that was for the condenser replaced and a refill.

Back
Top Bottom