The England Cricket Thread

Associate
Root and Roy need booting for the final test.

Root's a bottler and Roy clearly isn't fit to be playing test cricket.

Get rid of Root? The man who in this team has the third highest average this series, and the highest career average. Behave yourself.

Sky did a fantastic piece on the technical differences between 2015 Root and 2019 Root, and why that is causing him to go back to full balls and getting out where in 2015 he was driving those deliveries.

Ultimately there needs to be a lot of discussions at the end of this series about whether Root can stay as captain of this team, and whether he can carry on playing all three formats as we need him back to averaging 50+ in Tests.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Root doesnt strike me as someone who can motivate a team, or as someone that can try and put the teams issues right. Get Broad or Stokes in, Stokes seemed to be leading the team today anyway. I despair at todays batsmen in general, yes the bowling has been fantastic from both teams, but the shot selection from players on both sides has been shocking.

Caporegime
Root doesnt strike me as someone who can motivate a team, or as someone that can try and put the teams issues right. Get Broad or Stokes in, Stokes seemed to be leading the team today anyway. I despair at todays batsmen in general, yes the bowling has been fantastic from both teams, but the shot selection from players on both sides has been shocking.

I've never understood why Broad wasn't made captain. He's a hardcore veteran with tremendous skill.

Associate
I've never understood why Broad wasn't made captain. He's a hardcore veteran with tremendous skill.

I for one am not a fan of bowlers as captain. A bowler should work with the captain to come up with a plan, and then leave the skipper to set the field to that plan. Asking Broad, or Stokes, to move 9 players around whilst preparing to run in is asking for trouble imo. The other problem with either Stokes or Broad being skipper is that they can get very grumpy when things don't go their way, which is why I don't think the Aussies should ever go back to Smith as skipper.

Associate
There have been some great bowler captains, though. Imran Khan and Wasim Akram spring to mind.

There's also been some not so good bowler/all-rounder captains like Botham and Flintoff. Right now Broad is bowling better than he probably ever has, throwing the captaincy of a struggling team on him now he's got his mojo isn't very smart imo.

Caporegime
Can anyone explain why England didn't put a nightwatchman in after losing the first wicket yesterday?

There's also been some not so good bowler/all-rounder captains like Botham and Flintoff. Right now Broad is bowling better than he probably ever has, throwing the captaincy of a struggling team on him now he's got his mojo isn't very smart imo.

Fair point.

Soldato
Yep I can't see a chance of them hanging on now.

I don't know what the **** they are playing at.

All they had to do today was drag the game out for a draw.

Back
Top Bottom