How long is your work commute?

Don
WFH, best choice I ever made.

So much more free time without a commute. Previously it was 45mins - 1hr each way in nose-to-tail traffic and I hated it.

kai

kai

Soldato
Less than a minute, from bedroom to office :)

As above WFH. A US company, so commuting each day would be a nightmare. I would never go back to an office placed job.

Associate
used to be about 1hr 15 and could be worse. Cost £60 in petrol for 5 days and really sucked when combined with a 9 hour working day.

Now it's a 7min drive. 15min cycle, 25ish minute jog or a 50min walk. It has been a lovely summer not needing to use the car and not being forced into sitting down for 11ish hours of the day.

Soldato
15-20 minute B-road drive.

Soon changing to a 30 minute A road, closer to friends & family too so the extra cost in time & money is far outweighed by the social benefits of the location for me.

Associate
I moved around 25 mins away by car from work but that’s around 40 in peak times to and from work. I now use a motorbike and that not only shaves the time right down it’s also a pleasure to travel and saves a ton of cash on petrol

Commissario
I drove sixty miles each way for thirteen years, it took me just over an hour to get to work at silly o'clock but never less than an hour and a half to get home.
Then I changed jobs and for three years I did a thirty mile trip which was around forty five minutes each way.
Now I work from home and I can be out of bed and logged on within twelve seconds (yes, I've timed it) but I've never actually had to do this. I get up and do all the normal stuff I'd do before going to work, shower, etc. It's just that I have a very short commute.

I've not read through the answers but if anyone posts and says that they have a five minute drive, my comment is "you're a lazy git, you should be walking!" ;)

Soldato
If I go into the office it’s about 58 miles each way which takes around 1 hour 10 minutes at the times I travel. I’m ok with that but if I had to do it during busy periods it’s easily 1 hour 30 minutes and a more stressful drive which I can’t be bothered with.

Quite often it’s a few seconds to walk over to my desk as I work from home a fair bit more these days. However I also travel to customer sites a lot so it’s not uncommon to have a 4 hour drive to Manchester or a 5 hour train/drive to some random place in Belgium or whatever.

It’s not so much the distance that would bother me with a regular commute but rather the time it takes and how crap the drive is. From Portsmouth to Bracknell (home to office) in the mornings it’s a nightmare because there’s so many busy parts and regular queues of traffic. Hence why I try not to do it at all and when I do, I leave after 9am.

Soldato
Used to do field work where it was any distance but I was allowed (gentlemen's agreement) to take 45 mins commute either way and arrive late/go home early or stay over.

Recently changed to 20 mins drive with max of 30 in traffic and no staying over and a £1.80 each way toll so better work/life balance but not as good financially. Also have to pay fuel. But no company car so no car tax and a cheap car means it sort of balances out as no as much of a financial loss.

Soldato
1-1.5 hours.

Imo commute doesnt matter , if you come home to a nice house, nice area compared to living much closer to work but living in squalor then you take the nice house every time.

A 2 bed no garden near to my work costs the same as a 5 bed huge garden + park and stream where I live. No comparison.

Soldato
1 hour by train.
50 mins by car going in, 1hr 20 getting home. Parking is limited at work too.

Train is convenient due to traffic but its also the expensive option (costs twice as much as driving).
Car is only used during school holidays when the roads are quieter and I can find parking at work. If no on site parking available, I have to pay which doesn't save me any money.

Associate
Anywhere between 30 to 60 mins depending on traffic, travel via car approx. 10 miles from East Side of Manchester to Salford Quays.

Job pretty flexible though, so do work from home 50% of the time, and if no meetings/appointments arranged can leave after rush hour.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
35 miles and 50 minutes each way, traffic dependent. Although starting next week going down to four days a week with increased hours, so should be a bit easier for traffic hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom