E-Golf Lease

Soldato
Worked out.
My car at 25mpg will cost £44 to do 186miles.

That e-golf max range is 186 miles at 0.15p pkw. It's approx £15 to charge it.

That is of the car does its range. Which it won't. I'd expect 130miles...

So... What's the point? Might save £25-£30 per 200 miles...

I think there will be less of a gap than that in the real world. Plus how much does it cost to replace batteries when out of warranty?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Worked out.

Your calcs are quite off here to be honest, the pack in an eGolf is 35kwh, charging efficiency being pessimistic is around 85% = 41kwh required worst case. My power rate is 12p/kwh from outfoxthemarket (appreciate that this varies) which is 492p for a charge, or 615p at 15p/kwh, and actually as low as 205p on the 5p/kwh night rate that the guy above is using. Nothing like £15?

492p is rather a saving over your 4400p in petrol...its near 10 fold!

Soldato
Worked out.

Maths is not your strong point I see. :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I was going off the fact it said 99kw. I now realise that was probably the power rating.

So my maths was approx correct.

Still, not much difference vs a car that does 50-60mpg
I think he is correct, as it is a massive difference vs a car which does 50-60mpg. At a normal day electricity rate it costs 492p to charge it from empty to full. You can only buy 0.86 gallons of petrol for that, you'd need the petrol car to be doing like 180mpg :p

Soldato
I think he is correct, as it is a massive difference vs a car which does 50-60mpg. At a normal day electricity rate it costs 492p to charge it from empty to full. You can only buy 0.86 gallons of petrol for that, you'd need the petrol car to be doing like 180mpg :p
And to get the same range, you would prob only need 2.5-3 gallons :/

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If the range is enough for your usage, then it is enough :) The factor then is the cost per mile which is massively cheaper than a petrol, against all of your calculations.

Soldato
I hope to god you don't work with number or percentages for a living... if you do quit now.
How about you shut up?
The cost of these cars isn't what everyone thinks.
Wait till the battery dies when warranty is gone, will cost all those savings people would have had.

Already, I said my maths was wrong as was based on 99kw.

Caporegime
How about you shut up?
Wait till the battery dies when warranty is gone, will cost all those savings people would have had.

There is no risk with this deal, it's a 2 year lease.

Soldato
If the range is enough for your usage, then it is enough

The issue I have with EVs is that the range is enough for my usage for MOST of the time.

Every now and then though, I'll want to drive to Scotland, or Germany, or France. When that happens, I then need to stop for an hour every 150 miles to charge the thing, or even more frequently depending on the availability of fast chargers on my route.

Soldato
How about you shut up?

You resort to being rude because you failed to understand how to work something out, and tried to make it look way worse than it was. Then you shift the goal post and start using a car that does 50-60MPG, which by the way is still 3x more expensive. 150 miles would cost ~£17-18, and the electricity would be ~£5.70.

So if you "personally" don't think something that is 300% more is expensive for the same outcome, then fine but to most people a 300% increase would be seen as a lot more.

Worked out.

Lets stick with what you said at first shall we? £44 for 186 miles, that would be less than £8 of electricity cost when charged at peak/normal rates, around 53kWh worth. Now to me that is 5.5 times less, or your car costs 550% more to fuel for the same distance. Worked out over the total 20,000 miles (this lease covers) you car would cost approximately £4731 in fuel, where as the eGolf would be approximately £850.

So we'll stick with your doom mongering ways of the battery failing, which is warrantied for 100,000 miles or 8 years. Using your car as an example those 100,000 miles cost you ~£23,655, but you could have saved over £19,500, since the electricity would have been ~£4,250.

Now I don't know about you, but I reckon by the time I had done 100,000 miles, or had the car 8 years the savings alone would pay for an entirely new vehicle, never mind replacing the 'dead' battery.

Should you want to actually learn some facts about BEV's there are plenty of knowledgeable people on these forums, and lots of places around the WWW that could help you. :)

Soldato
But people will be buying cars which are 8+ years old, not everyone buys new. Also how is it better for the environment if EVs are being scrapped so early (because the car becomes worth less than the cost of new batteries)? :/

Soldato
You resort to being rude because you failed to understand how to work something out, and tried to make it look way worse than it was. Then you shift the goal post and start using a car that does 50-60MPG, which by the way is still 3x more expensive. 150 miles would cost ~£17-18, and the electricity would be ~£5.70.

So if you "personally" don't think something that is 300% more is expensive for the same outcome, then fine but to most people a 300% increase would be seen as a lot more.

Lets stick with what you said at first shall we? £44 for 186 miles, that would be less than £8 of electricity cost when charged at peak/normal rates, around 53kWh worth. Now to me that is 5.5 times less, or your car costs 550% more to fuel for the same distance. Worked out over the total 20,000 miles (this lease covers) you car would cost approximately £4731 in fuel, where as the eGolf would be approximately £850.

So we'll stick with your doom mongering ways of the battery failing, which is warrantied for 100,000 miles or 8 years. Using your car as an example those 100,000 miles cost you ~£23,655, but you could have saved over £19,500, since the electricity would have been ~£4,250.

Now I don't know about you, but I reckon by the time I had done 100,000 miles, or had the car 8 years the savings alone would pay for an entirely new vehicle, never mind replacing the 'dead' battery.

Should you want to actually learn some facts about BEV's there are plenty of knowledgeable people on these forums, and lots of places around the WWW that could help you. :)
Look, you just made me cry... That cost of me doing 100k... My wallets soul has screaming.

Soldato
But people will be buying cars which are 8+ years old, not everyone buys new. Also how is it better for the environment if EVs are being scrapped so early (because the car becomes worth less than the cost of new batteries)? :/

Who mentioned anything about scrapping?

Does everything you buy just break when the warranty expires?

We all know you hate EV's and don't want them to succeed, you spend half your life bashing them and use mis-informative posts to try and make them look terrible, but in reality we all know that they are replacing the incumbent propulsion technology that is the ICE.

Instead of making yourself look like a plonker in every post about BEV's try taking a balanced viewpoint, and understand that for a lot of people they are much better, and for others at the moment no so much, but don't post FUD, it just makes you look silly.

Soldato
The initial higher outlay for electric vehicles, and the interest you have to pay for that money (or locked up capital) with the albeit reduced depreciation ,
is still not easy to calculate (#), offset by the reduced fuel+maintenance+taxes cost.

I've still not found a good website with 'all' the data.

personally I don't think singularity has arrived, and generally articles suggest 2022 eg
- there was an extensive ev thread here a while back with that kind of discussion

[
# you can protect yourself agains unknown ev depreciation with a pcp, of course
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money.../The-new-electric-cars-retain-value-best.html
]

Soldato
Who mentioned anything about scrapping?

Does everything you buy just break when the warranty expires?

We all know you hate EV's and don't want them to succeed, you spend half your life bashing them and use mis-informative posts to try and make them look terrible, but in reality we all know that they are replacing the incumbent propulsion technology that is the ICE.

Instead of making yourself look like a plonker in every post about BEV's try taking a balanced viewpoint, and understand that for a lot of people they are much better, and for others at the moment no so much, but don't post FUD, it just makes you look silly.

Prove otherwise lol. They haven't been around long enough to see the full lifecycle yet and how things will play out long-term...

Back
Top Bottom