How long is your work commute?

Soldato
I'm really jealous of how far people can get in 5 minutes. Round here a 5 minute drive and 5 minute walk will get you about the same distance.

Associate
My commute is under two minutes walking. If you think that is short, my commute was previously 15 seconds - as I quite literally lived opposite my employer. The difference it makes not being able to see my workplace from my sitting room is huge.

I would accept around 45minutes maximum. Which in my case would mean a train to central Cambridge and a walk to the employer. I live on the Ely-London line and there is no way I would ever commute into London. It is just not worth it from a work life balance perspective.

1 minute walk to bus stop, 20 minutes on bus, 10 minutes (half mile) to work. So about 30 minutes each way.

I think that commuting 90 minutes each way (so 3 hours) to work for 8 hours is just pointless. I will start my own thread about this though later on - telecommuting (or lack of) and the sheer number of cars on the road.

Man of Honour
Retired now, so I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but for almost the final 30 years it was the time that it took to walk down from the first floor kitchen of my house, out of the front door, zap the fob on the up and over garage door, back the Black Cab out to the drive, zap the garage door back down, fire up the yellow TAXI light, and start looking for someone with their hand raised, or the on board monitor to go ding! and offer me a trip.
The commute home was rarely longer than 10-12 minutes, as I always waited until I was in The City, or London Bridge station before extinguishing the TAXI light, and heading for Rotherhithe, but I kept the monitor on, in the vain hope that it would offer me a trip from The City to SE London, and pay my way home.

Soldato
At best 25 min each way to drive but I have to leave early so usually 30-35 mins. I cycle a lot in summer as there's a cross country route and my best for that is 50 mins. Much cheaper to drive now too with an EV.

So no more than an hour on bike and preferably 30 mins at most in a car.

Caporegime
Work from home majority of the time so 0.

If I go into the office it takes about 10 minutes at most in the morning and about 15 when I leave around 1pm / 1:30pm.

I used to go into the office a lot more and stay late and leaving at 5 - 5:30 the journey would end up being 40-45 minutes easily most days. Birmingham ring road is an absolute joke of road.

Caporegime
About seven minutes or about four miles. Two roundabouts and one set of traffic lights. I can leave 15 minutes before the start of my shift and still be logged in ready to start on time. And it’s never that busy either.

A recruiter once tried to upsell me on a job in Edinburgh, at peak time (so likely an hour commute or an hour on packed public transport each way) for less money until I told her my current commute. She said ‘so I take it you’re not interested?’ And I laughed and hung up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got seconded for "6 months" to work on a customer's site 40 miles away, which would take between 45 mins to 2 hours each way depending on how many idiots couldn't drive that day, absolutely hated it, although on the plus side I was getting paid £32/day in expenses which helped make it bearable.

After 2 years I was still there, so I quit, now it's 12 miles each way, which takes 20-25 mins, and costs me ~£0.33/day :D

Soldato
5 minute walk, usually leave late to avoid school run mums who have no concept of stopping for a zebra crossing and think the traffic lights 100yrds down the road are more important than people already on the crossing. I do miss the drive of a 30min commute, used to help with wake up/wind down.

Soldato
Just done my last commute of driving from the edge of Northumberland/Tyne and Wear to south of Durham, 37.5miles each way. 45 minutes on a school holiday and an hour if not. If someone had been extra special, the time it would take is anyone's guess.

Soldato
Used to be a 30 minute drive and a 10 minute walk. Then we moved office to London...now it's a 15 minute cycle and a 50 minute train ride. It's not too bad as the train is at least fast from my home station to London Bridge.

However, I've since negotiated working from home most of the week, which saves me a fortune in train fare, and is also just generally less stressful.

Back
Top Bottom