How long is your work commute?

Caporegime
Out of interest, what kind of jobs are you guys doing to have to travel so far?
Well I'm an analyst, and my work is only 14 miles as the crow flies, but I need to catch a train up in to Clapham, and then back out again, so it takes a while.

I don't mind though, train time is game/tv/internet faffing time that I actually find kinda precious in it's own way.

Would cost almost £4k annually, but work does a interest free travel loan, which knocks it down to £3.2k. Obviously I am happy with my over all pay to incur these costs.

Associate
20 minute walk from my front door to where I work, which I'm happy with. Back in the early 2000's I lived in Bucks and commuted into London by train and tube, taking about 90 minutes if everything was running, which it frequently wasn't....on the worst days (usually tube driver strikes) I'd be spending 4 or 5 hours a day commuting and I hated it.

Man of Honour
Out of interest, what kind of jobs are you guys doing to have to travel so far?
I would imagine for many people it's not a case of "have to", rather that's just kind of how things have ended up.

For me, I spend about 5 years commuting 35 minutes each way, the next 5 40 minutes each way, the next 2 around 25 each way. In that space I moved house three times which also chopped things up a bit.
Then I spent a few years flying so it was all up in the air (lolz)
Now I'm commuting around 45 minutes each way but the pay is good and it's a job and company I really love.

I leave home at 6 and I'm never home later than 16:30.

Associate
20 minute walk from my front door to where I work, which I'm happy with. Back in the early 2000's I lived in Bucks and commuted into London by train and tube, taking about 90 minutes if everything was running, which it frequently wasn't....on the worst days (usually tube driver strikes) I'd be spending 4 or 5 hours a day commuting and I hated it.

I used to go from Chelmsford station with similar results. The rush hour was starting at 6.40am, any later train, even 3 mins, you have had it.
Got some stats from the controller, 15k per day went from Chelmsford in rush hour :eek: It's nothing more than a stop on the train line. One step up from a halt with a roof on it. 3k houses here, 6k there, some massive blocks of flats. NO investment in rail. My god I don't miss that commute. It's getting worse.

Now 20-25mins mostly bus which is awesome.

Soldato
Anything between 10 seconds and 5 hours. I am an area manager covering from Aberdeen to Southport and work from home, living "off-patch".

I like the variance of different routes and not having to get up and drive the same roads day in day out. I would hate to go back to the same thing every day. If I HAD to then I wouldn't want to do anything longer than 30 minutes.

Man of Honour
45ish miles each way, ranges from an hour to two hours depending on if someone has broken the motorway and if I'm in the car or on the bike.

Soldato
80-90 minutes - roughly an hour on the bus then 20 minute walk through central London. I could get the tube but it'd still be an hour door-to-door and I tend to come out very angry. 45 minutes' arm-bending sardine Tetris each way daily and I'd probably quit.

To be honest it's the only thing I dislike about my job. I'm considering moving further out as colleagues outside London have a similar commute time but more enjoyable. At least on the bus I sit down and can read/sleep/phone faff.

Soldato
12 minute tram ride with ~5mins walk on each end. Previous commute has been up to an hour. The problem is not necessarily the length of the commute but rather the content of the commute. I don't mind a longer train journey but two train journeys with a change in between is significantly worse.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
5 - 15min drive or 15min cycle in the morning 5min drive on the way back.

It would have to serious amount of money or other circunstance to get to me to move on now.

Anything more than 20mins-30mins is not worth it. You inly have one life, and yes you do have a choice.

Man of Honour
An hour and a half each way.

Work life balance is still better than the 25 minute commute it replaced, pay is considerably better and most importantly I want to get out of bed in the morning to go to work

Back
Top Bottom