The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
Got a bottle already:D.

I may open it at the weekend, someone else on here liked it, and it gets well rated from what I read.
I liked it! It was probably me. It was definitely my favourite out of the five bottles I bought.

I imagine that there are better sherry cask whiskeys but to me it was the first time I had one where the sweet and the smoke really balanced out well. I have tried others and thought, blerrhgh, too much sherry. This was more subtle but still there. I imagine if you are a whiskey pro, and I mean you a serious enthusiast, then it might be a bit unsophisticated but to my mortal tastebuds it was delightful (and that’s not buyers remorse from spending mad dollar - it was the second cheapest bottle I bought, IIRC).

In fact it’s influenced two new bottles coming in tomorrow: Bruchladdich Port Charlotte PC11 and PC12, which are sherry cask expressions, very highly rated. Looking forward to trying them! :)

Man of Honour
Since I've had a good amount if time with those bottles now I'll post a quick update, with updated comments in bold.

Bought a few bottles recently and was going on about them at some length in the ‘items I’ve purchased’ thread in GD but any chat probably belongs in here. Just a quick whizz through / recap.

I decided that I was bored with crap whisky from supermarkets (the Jura Courage is absolutely terrible! So bad!!! Avoid. 1/5) so plonked a bunch of well rated whisky from master of malt in my basket and ordered away, without really knowing too much about my preferences - all a bit of a gamble. I ended up getting three bottles of Japanese and two scotch. Turns out the Japanese are far less flavourful than the Scotch ones, but from ‘retrospective research’ that’s intended as the Japanese tend to drink it with food and as less of a nightcap (so I understand). My preference is definitely something with more distinct flavour so my next purchase is likely to be something more smokey, like a crazy Octomore!

Short reviews in the order I tried them. Some of the reviews I read online as so ridiculous with comments like “hint of pebbles” so I’ll keep it sensible. I’m obviously not on expert :p

Caol Ila 18 y.o. - this was a huge step up from the super market stuff but unfortunately I tried it at the same time as the Loch Gorm which I preferred, so I can’t really judge it on its own merits. Jury is still out.

^^^Bottle is finished. This was really flavoursome and tasty but I couldn't really decide if I ever truly loved it. Comparatively, in a word... 'farmy' (in the way that some ciders can be), not necessarily in a bad way. This was the whisky that seemed to linger on my breath and give me the sorest head on the bunch. I look forward to getting the vocabulary to say what I mean.

Loch Gorm - this is sherry casked and absolutely delicious. Sweet yet peaty. I have been back to this a few times and each time it puts a bit smile on my face. I’m definitely intrigued to try more sherry casked whiskys. This one is definitely recommended by me 5/5

^^^ I absolutely hooned this bottle. Really loved it. Subsequently read some great views and some mixed ones. I'm really looking forward to exploring similar bottles.

Nikka from the Barrel - First if the Japanese. I was really, really disappointed with this. Rave reviews but incredibly harsh to taste and then really quite bland when watered down. Forgettable save for the harshness. Even watered down it was harsh! No idea what the fuss is about with this one. It’s getting 2/5 because it’s better than the Jura Courage which is deserving of its aforementioned 1/5!
^^^ This is still awful. Just, what the heck.

Yamakazi 12 - This was expensive so I was really nervous after the Nikka. Thankfully there was no need for nervousness. This was the most easily drinkable whiskey I’ve ever had. It was soooo smooth! No harshness. An absolute delight. Think of an ultra-smooth Glenmorangie. That’s what it was like. I would rate this 5/5 in terms of that style of smooth drinkable whisky but at £120 a bottle I can’t say there is ‘value’ in this. I’m definitely a newbie but I imagine you are probably going to get a similarly enjoyable experience at less money, noting that the Japanese stuff is really hiked in price. So not sure I could recommend someone pushing their budget for it. But very tasty indeed.

^^^ Pretty much agree with this save that, in the end, I decided I liked the Yoichi more !!! It was the Yoichi with an ice cube (oh woe is me) that was the 'easiest' of the bunch and, sometimes, that's what you want, ya know?

Yoichi single malt - this was similar to the yamakazi 12 but coming from that, notably a degree harsher. It has a 5% more alcohol content so perhaps that is partly why? Very drinkable indeed but the yamakazi was more so and I’d probably opt for the yamakazi every time (fairly substantial price difference though). I actually ended up watering this down a little and I preferred it. Just a quick tag for @Plec as we were chatting in that other thread and this Yoichi is an ‘update’ but sorry to tag you if you don’t care :o :)

In summary then, deffo buy the Loch Gorm, Yamakazi is lovely but expensive, jury is still out on Yoichi and Caol Ila, Nikka from the barrel should be Nikka down the sink :p

Soldato
I liked it! It was probably me. It was definitely my favourite out of the five bottles I bought.

I imagine that there are better sherry cask whiskeys but to me it was the first time I had one where the sweet and the smoke really balanced out well. I have tried others and thought, blerrhgh, too much sherry. This was more subtle but still there. I imagine if you are a whiskey pro, and I mean you a serious enthusiast, then it might be a bit unsophisticated but to my mortal tastebuds it was delightful (and that’s not buyers remorse from spending mad dollar - it was the second cheapest bottle I bought, IIRC).

In fact it’s influenced two new bottles coming in tomorrow: Bruchladdich Port Charlotte PC11 and PC12, which are sherry cask expressions, very highly rated. Looking forward to trying them! :)

Good to hear, I have yet to open it, been hot this weekend and I don't tend to drink whisky much in the warmer months, still I will post my thoughts on it when I do. I'm also in no means a whisky pro, sometimes find it difficult to pick out the different notes of a whisky.

Man of Honour
They landed!

qpXO0To.jpg

Initial thoughts:

The Gael - the nose on that is super citrus and even maybe a hint of banana? This was really tasty. Very much a non-smokey whiskey. Never had a nose like that before. I don’t think anyone could say a whiskey was refreshing but that’s the sort of vibe I get from this one. Curious to see how my views develop!

PC11 - well this is just stupidly good. Loch Gorm on steroids. Soooo much peat. Similar to the Gorm in terms of the sherry hint. One dram and I’m sold, long live the PC11. Looking forward to the PC12.

Last edited:
Soldato
They landed!

qpXO0To.jpg

Initial thoughts:

The Gael - the nose on that is super citrus and even maybe a hint of banana? This was really tasty. Very much a non-smokey whiskey. Never had a nose like that before. I don’t think anyone could say a whiskey was refreshing but that’s the sort of vibe I get from this one. Curious to see how my views develop!

PC11 - well this is just stupidly good. Loch Gorm on steroids. Soooo much peat. Similar to the Gorm in terms of the sherry hint. One dram and I’m sold, long live the PC11. Looking forward to the PC12.

Where did you get the Port Charlotte from? Im seeing £300 a bottle from places that have very limited stock:eek:

Man of Honour
Where did you get the Port Charlotte from? Im seeing £300 a bottle from places that have very limited stock:eek:
Got them from here: https://reallygoodwhisky.com/

They still have a PC11 for £150 (so £50 less than master of malt). Think they are out of the PC12 now which was ~£170. You can get that here:

https://www.htfw.com/port-charlotte-pc12-oileanach-furachail?acc=093f65e080a295f8076b1c5722a46aa2

Yeah it was a bit pricey :o But I’m sort of like, eh, it lasts for ages (unlike a bottle of wine which you have in one sitting) so happy to fork out for something which I will get quite a bit of enjoyment from over a period of time. Particularly when these are both highly rated sherry casked expressions, which I was keen to try from my Loch Gorm experience. I’d say the LG is probably an ‘easier drink’ though - the PC11 definitely had a fiery burn and I did put some water in it to tame the beast.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got them from here: https://reallygoodwhisky.com/

They still have a PC11 for £150 (so £50 less than master of malt). Think they are out of the PC12 now which was ~£170. You can get that here:

https://www.htfw.com/port-charlotte-pc12-oileanach-furachail?acc=093f65e080a295f8076b1c5722a46aa2

Yeah it was a bit pricey :o But I’m sort of like, eh, it lasts for ages (unlike a bottle of wine which you have in one sitting) so happy to fork out for something which I will get quite a bit of enjoyment from over a period of time. Particularly when these are both highly rated sherry casked expressions, which I was keen to try from my Loch Gorm experience. I’d say the LG is probably an ‘easier drink’ though - the PC11 definitely had a fiery burn and I did put some water in it to tame the beast.

Thanks, I tend to buy my whisky and gin from Mater of malt or The whisky exchange. I couldn't justify them prices as my opened bottles don't last long:D.

Actually now you mention it, I might open my bottle of Loch Gorm tonight.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I tend to buy my whisky and gin from Mater of malt or The whisky exchange. I couldn't justify them prices as my opened bottles don't last long:D.

Actually now you mention it, I might open my bottle of Loch Gorm tonight.
Yeah do it! Would be interesting to compare thoughts! :)

Man of Honour
Just been ‘A-B’-ing the PC11 and PC12.

Really interesting. Initial impressions are that the PC11 is the full flavour experience. So intense it’s like falling mouth open into a bonfire, but kind of sweet too. The PC12 is dialled back a notch - definitely less smokey and also less burny. It’s also a little less sweet. Ultimately gentler, but not in a bad way. Having polished off my tiny taster of PC11, I’m very much enjoying the PC12 by its own merits!

Really enjoying my whisky journey! :)

Soldato
Evening all - please feel free to move to La Cuisine

I want to get someone a present - a bottle of whiskey, for someone who usually maxes out at a £30 bottle of jura.

I was thinking getting them a nicer bottle would be a decent present - however I know NOTHING about whiskey at all.

Whenever I ask for recommendations people just send me the usual names for £30, as opposed to something more special

Can anyone link me directly to a nice bottle, feel free to play with the budget within reason

Preference - amazon link

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
You need to be careful in that an £80/£100 bottle might still be totally different to what they actually like, a more mature bottle of the same whisky can taste quite different and might not actually be "worth" the extra to the individual (even though most people would obviously appreciate the effort).

If you can start with either a few that you know they like, or at least a general region you'll have a better chance of getting something suitable

Soldato
I like Jura journey (one of their cheaper options) and enjoyed The Dalmore 15 years when I was given one. Got a presentation gift set with glasses too and on a Google seems about £60. They have an 18 year too which is around the £100 mark.

Soldato

I want to get someone a present - a bottle of whiskey, for someone who usually maxes out at a £30 bottle of jura.

I was thinking getting them a nicer bottle would be a decent present - however I know NOTHING about whiskey at all.

Whenever I ask for recommendations people just send me the usual names for £30, as opposed to something more special

Can anyone link me directly to a nice bottle, feel free to play with the budget within reason

Preference - amazon link

Thanks in advance!

Well if they don't normally spend more than £30, maybe get them Ardbeg 10 at around £40, I remember enjoying this when I first started exploring different whiskies, there is also the Ardbeg Uigeadail which is supposed to be great, not tried it yet, but plan to.

@Nitefly opened my bottle of Kilchoman 2019 yesterday, very nice and very smooth, although I had a slight cold when I first tried it so my smell and taste buds were not the best, got the sweetness from the sherry casks, will need to give it a try when I'm feeling better, but I'm very happy with it.

Associate

Preference - amazon link

Thanks in advance!
Do they like anything other than Jura that you are aware of? Jura is one of the few distilleries I'm really not a fan of, so I'm not sure what I would recommend to someone that likes it. If they like something else I may be able to suggest something more suitable.

Back
Top Bottom