When was your last speeding ticket?

Associate
I was caught at 94mph overtaking on the dual carriageway Dundee to aberdeen and stopped by an un marked police car in 2015 - 2 points and 100 fine,

Then again driving home from work sometime in 2016. caught at 98mph chased by an Audi with blue lights in the grill never noticed for a few miles which kept the officer happy! Another 2 points and £100 fine.

Drove slow ever since then.

Soldato
19 years driving, none. But grateful for the cameras fitted at 30mph roads in Cambridge, which had their speed limit changed to 20mph, but haven't changed the camera tolerances, but unsure how effective a camera on a 20mph road can be.

I don't think there are actually any cameras which are working at 20mph. Lots of things in nature can move at over 20mph so it would be picking up all sorts of stuff, cyclists as well I guess.

Soldato
Rear facing police van parked in a driveway I think.

10 years ago on the A1 north around Sandy, doing 60 in a 50 in a 1 litre 3 cylinder Vauxhall Corsa.

I felt like posting them the keys and saying you try it :)

Soldato
But grateful for the cameras fitted at 30mph roads in Cambridge, which had their speed limit changed to 20mph
whereabouts are they ? I'm familiar (not on first name terms) with some of the cameras/20mph zones off of newmarket road .. but hadn't seen a camera in a 20mph zone.

Caporegime
Never.

There's a few average speed sets around Birmingham, but the most of the old Gastos don't seem to work.

A few years ago there was a big push to make 20mph the max speed around residential areas of Birmingham too but again there's some oddness around where there are existing cameras.

For example, the majority of the Stratford Road through Sparkbrook / Sparkhill is 20mph ... but then you get to a strange section where it changes to 30mph - https://goo.gl/maps/tYJCQ9MaReq1RBsi6 because just ahead there's a speed camera - https://goo.gl/maps/k2XaSJ9Mh4Tx936GA despite the fact just after the speed camera road markings end there is a school - https://goo.gl/maps/cF7TNcU39kQzjp6p7 and then a few meters down the road it changes back to 20mph - https://goo.gl/maps/n7DmfVD3UJUD1wKo7

It's probably about 400m of 30mph instead of 20mph, because there is a speed camera which probably can't be reprogrammed yet probably doesn't work. Even though there is a school right near it. You'd probably only be able to go at max 30mph between the hours of 12am and 6am the road is that busy and manic.

Soldato
Exactly, you aint
I'm confused, what was your point then? I stand by my point that you have to be stupid to be caught speeding. It really isn't difficult to not speed, you kind of just... Well don't speed.
A bit like not stabbing someone it's just a do or don't scenario.

Soldato
2 years ago after "making progress" down the M8 2 absolute gents who stopped me were polite concise and didnt resort to the usual speed kills mantra, just a brief chat explanation of how they had measured the speed a ticket handed over and a quick chinwag about cars
never have i walked away smiling with a speeding ticket, ended up after a trip to court and a good lawyer with 3 points and £110 fine but 10/10 would happily be stopped by same coppers again :D:D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
There's a few average speed sets around Birmingham, but the most of the old Gastos don't seem to work.
I swear these must be set to 100mph+ as I've bombed solihull to Brum and back a million times without any ticket.

Associate
Caught within a couple of months of passing the test back in 2003 doing 42 in a 30 in an industrial part of town, apparently by a roadside bobby but never saw any evidence. They took me to court but I didn't want to go, handed 4 points and £180 fine in my absence; I learned my lesson!

Soldato
Caught within a couple of months of passing the test back in 2003 doing 42 in a 30 in an industrial part of town, apparently by a roadside bobby but never saw any evidence. They took me to court but I didn't want to go, handed 4 points and £180 fine in my absence; I learned my lesson!

The lesson is always ask for evidence :D

You never know, if they messed up and made even a slight mistake it gets cancelled.

Associate
The lesson is always ask for evidence :D

You never know, if they messed up and made even a slight mistake it gets cancelled.

Aye, that was one of them! I was young, stupid and just let it go for too long before acting.. I was told at the time by my Uncle to request evidence, but prioritised doing nothing instead!

Associate
About 6 weeks ago, by a copper holding a gun, doing 40 in a 30 (apparently).

I was coming from a 60 in to a 30 zone, she was pointing her gun at the entrance to the 30 zone, and I didn’t slow down quick enough. Was offered the course which I took to keep my licence clean. The course wasn’t too bad either.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
My understanding is that all Birmingham Gatsos are literally turned off. Average speed camera zones are very much active though.

And last time I had a speeding ticket? Never... somehow.
Did you hear this from somewhere, or is it just personal experience? I vaguely remember something in the news about Norwich not renewing cameras etc but nothing about the midlands.
I'm confused, what was your point then? I stand by my point that you have to be stupid to be caught speeding. It really isn't difficult to not speed, you kind of just... Well don't speed.
A bit like not stabbing someone it's just a do or don't scenario.
Or some people just don't care enough about them.

Then you've clearly not gone through the average speed camera zones?
Why clearly?

My understanding of the average cameras around Birmingham is they were set up to discourage racing around Birmingham's "track". They have high limits are far as I can tell.

We're talking about those mini Motorola looking yellow ones right? Coventry road has them and not even one ticket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom