• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from a 1070...

Caporegime
I agree which is why i think waiting is the clever thing to do, im actually playing a lot of older games at the moment so the 1070 is perfect, just playing Control kind of made me think "oh god its started, my card is finally rubbish AND i have Cyberpunk on the horizon....upgrade!!".

I think RTX3070 or 6700XT next year will be a nice upgrade finally if we dont get price gouged/brexit taxed to death.
With the £/$ exchange rate heading for 1/1 parity (and likely to stay there for a while IMO) we will be getting Boned even more than we have been recently.

Associate
I would wait too if I had a 1070 and the only game was control that I was struggling with, I just went from a 970 to a 2080 (150% performance gain), but the only reason I upgraded was because I bought a Rift and the 970 was not the best for DCS world in VR. I was trying to hold out to see how the 970 went with the DCS VR optimisations but they seem to have hit a few speed bumps and it is taking longer than planned. I also changed energy companies and referred a few people so I got £100 in vouchers which brought the 2080 down to £509 plus the 2 free games Control and Wolfenstein Young Blood so it was worth it for me. As has been mentioned though, the 3000 series might be even more of a rip off than the 2000 series so you could be putting off a great gaming experience hoping the 3000 series is worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
You're playing games now, and want
I agree which is why i think waiting is the clever thing to do, im actually playing a lot of older games at the moment so the 1070 is perfect, just playing Control kind of made me think "oh god its started, my card is finally rubbish AND i have Cyberpunk on the horizon....upgrade!!".

I think RTX3070 or 6700XT next year will be a nice upgrade finally if we dont get price gouged/brexit taxed to death.

The 970 was on par with the 780 ti and cost £240

1070 was on par with the 980 ti and cost £380

2070(s) on par with the 1080 ti and cost £475.

If you're at that stage where you notice your card doesn't keep up, why wait in hope that something, which doesn't even exist yet....we literally have zero idea of date/performance/price, or even naming.

Basing your decisions on speculation, and not fact, and the fact is your card is no longer performing how you hope.

One thing I don't regret about being a pc gamer is that I base my purchases on what I can physically buy. I've seen people regret not buying things sooner, but I've never seen anyone with buyers remorse like 9 months later, as they've enjoyed their tech in the meantime and not spent the time worrying about what come in the future.

Caporegime

If you're at that stage where you notice your card doesn't keep up, why wait in hope that something, which doesn't even exist yet....we literally have zero idea of date/performance/price, or even naming.

Basing your decisions on speculation, and not fact, and the fact is your card is no longer performing how you hope.

One thing I don't regret about being a pc gamer is that I base my purchases on what I can physically buy. I've seen people regret not buying things sooner, but I've never seen anyone with buyers remorse like 9 months later, as they've enjoyed their tech in the meantime and not spent the time worrying about what come in the future.

Agreed. Buy the best you can now and enjoy it. That use trades off against the better product.

Tech nearly always comes down in price over time and you could wait forever to buy something only for something better to come along and you wait for that to drop in price again until the same thing happens. Buy with confidence then never look at prices ever again and enjoy it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Don't agree with this at all. Not sure if you have read what the OP is saying or just trying to push your view on to others but if you read the thread you will realise he has a decent card already for the resolution he games at and so far only 1 game has made him feel like he needs to upgrade, not to mention he is playing old games right now that would not benefit from an upgrade...

Not only that but are you refuting that ever since the beginning that price for performance has improved over time?

Associate
Don't agree with this at all. Not sure if you have read what the OP is saying or just trying to push your view on to others but if you read the thread you will realise he has a decent card already for the resolution he games at and so far only 1 game has made him feel like he needs to upgrade, not to mention he is playing old games right now that would not benefit from an upgrade...

Not only that but are you refuting that ever since the beginning that price for performance has improved over time?

How's that trying to push my view? What I've posted is factual information....

*The '70' models are on par with previous 'Ti's'...
And prices are going up each gen. That's nothing to do with price to performance, it illustrates the rising costs, and how a '70' model has doubled in price across 2 gens.

*OP specifically stated that card wasn't performing how he wishes, regardless of one game or 10. This isn't going to improve.....he wouldn't have started a thread if it was such a none issue for him.

So, no, sorry to say, there's no agenda I'm pushing. I'm providing OP with a sensible perspective on what he could do.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

And prices are going up each gen. That's nothing to do with price to performance, it illustrates the rising costs, and how a '70' model has doubled in price across 2 gens.

*OP specifically stated that card wasn't performing how he wishes, regardless of one game or 10. This isn't going to improve.....he wouldn't have started a thread if it was such a none issue for him.

So, no, sorry to say, there's no agenda I'm pushing. I'm providing OP with a sensible perspective on what he could do.

I never said you had an agenda.

So you are saying that price for performance getting better over time is not factual then? I will eat my hat if 7nm Nvidia cards cannot at least provide 20% better price for performance in the xx70 tier. Not to mentioned much better RT performance and benefiting from being on a brand new architecture that will get all the optimisations. Just look at how much 1080 Ti is falling behind at new games to see this...

Also it really does matter how many games that one has an issue running with. How many people do you know that automatically upgrade as soon as they come across one game that does not run optimally?

Associate
I never said you had an agenda.

So you are saying that price for performance getting better over time is not factual then? I will eat my hat if 7nm Nvidia cards cannot at least provide 20% better price for performance in the xx70 tier. Not to mentioned much better RT performance and benefiting from being on a brand new architecture that will get all the optimisations. Just look at how much 1080 Ti is falling behind at new games to see this...

Also it really does matter how many games that one has an issue running with. How many people do you know that automatically upgrade as soon as they come across one game that does not run optimally?

Price to performance is not getting better. Pricing increases whilst performance jumps do not warrant it.

I've predominantly owed Nvidia cards, but it's massively apparent that they are price gouging, because, ultimately, people will pay for it.

A Ti model 6 years ago costs what an aftermarket '70' model costs now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Price to performance is not getting better. Pricing increases whilst performance jumps do not warrant it.

I will quote this and we will see when 7nm Nvidia cards come out in the near future ;)

I've predominantly owed Nvidia cards, but it's massively apparent that they are price gouging, because, ultimately, people will pay for it.

Completely agree with this. If people happily pay, what do they expect will happen? But it can only go so far...

A Ti model 6 years ago costs what an aftermarket '70' model costs now.
I get that and hate it also. But price for performance means how much performance you get per £1. That keeps improving. It always has. Granted it is slowing down, but so will their sales if it does not get better.

You watch, I predict RT cores/performance to increase exponentially in the next generation. Nvidia will use those numbers highlight the huge improvement and use it as a huge marketing tool to sell the 3000 series.

Soldato
OP
So bumping this thread as ive been getting itchy upgrade feet, im still considering the 2070S as it seems the new cards arent going to appear until july? next year. I had a crazy idea though of getting a cheap 5700X and putting an Alphacool Eiswolf on it. Yeah this will put me into 2070S territory money wise but a decent 'quiet' 2070S will still cost more.

Im getting a 5700X/2070X regardless so have at it guys, above idea crazy or save the hassle and.....? :D

Soldato
So bumping this thread as ive been getting itchy upgrade feet, im still considering the 2070S as it seems the new cards arent going to appear until july? next year. I had a crazy idea though of getting a cheap 5700X and putting an Alphacool Eiswolf on it. Yeah this will put me into 2070S territory money wise but a decent 'quiet' 2070S will still cost more.

Im getting a 5700X/2070X regardless so have at it guys, above idea crazy or save the hassle and.....? :D

If I had to buy a card now at that level, I'd be getting that Palit Jetstream 2070S Gibbo has on offer at the moment.

Looks a brilliant card for £459.

I'm tempted but I'm still holding out for the 3 Series.

Soldato
OP
If I had to buy a card now at that level, I'd be getting that Palit Jetstream 2070S Gibbo has on offer at the moment.

Looks a brilliant card for £459.

I'm tempted but I'm still holding out for the 3 Series.

Yeah i saw it before, i have the 1070 Super Jetstream and its been nothing but stellar, cooler is amazing, another Palit may be the way to go!

Caporegime

£240 to £480 for the same card but 2 generations newer?

if anything that is an advert to say cards are overpriced now and it's best to either wait and buy second hand or wait and buy cheaper next gen cards.

I reckon my next card coming from a 1080 will be the 2660/3060 super but i'll wait for the 3660/4060 super to be released first and pick one up second hand for <£150.

Soldato
currently there is no sensible upgrade paths for 980Ti, 1070 or 1080

there are options BUT they are ***** options from a value perspective
Im on a 1080 and think the 2070s is a good upgrade for the money.

My 1080 was £440 on BF two years ago. Now I can buy 30% more performance for close to the same price.

People almost expecting free GPUS or something?!

Caporegime

My 1080 was £440 on BF two years ago. Now I can buy 30% more performance for close to the same price.

I went 1080 to 2070S and have been happy. Apex Legends runs pegged at 100FPS now whereas it suffered some drops at 3440x1440p previously. Jedi Fallen order sticks at 90FPS all the time but it's not that demanding a game TBH.

Caporegime

If I'm spending £500 on a GPU. I'd want it to be twice as fast tbh. 30% isn't enough needs to be bare minimum 50% faster. You may as well as have just bought a 1080ti 2 years ago. That is my point. Rather than spending £440 then another £500 so £940 minus £250 for resale of 1080 so £700 for 1080ti performance. when £700 would have gotten you a 1080ti in the first place.

Doesn't make any sense.

Soldato

2070S. Water won't do enough for the 5700 XT, mostly because of memory lacking the capacity for any kind of OC. Turing is a more mature, stable arch & 70S is faster anyway, plus more features (like RTX, Adaptive Shading, Mesh shaders, etc etc). If not looking to save $$$ then it makes no sense to go with Navi. Otherwise as a stop-gap a 5700 would have made the most sense in terms of value.

Soldato
Yeh I should have got a 1080Ti in the first place.
But we have always been happy (haven't we?!) With a 30% (at least) uplift gen to gen.

People are getting unrealistic IMO

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Too close to the release of a 3070 imo. But your call.

Back
Top Bottom