Road Cycling

Soldato
Good ride on Saturday with a local social group. Couple of hill efforts and gap close type efforts but such a mixed group it kept splitting and nobody seemed interested in holding my wheel when I was closing gaps lol. Scattered sunshine and winds, along with various sections of prolonged shade really made it hard to 'dress'. I took off & put back on my arm-warmers twice and gilet 3 times! The final time had a good solo chase on the flat, typical the group seemed to pick up speed as soon as I stopped (anyone else find that!? Maybe they're trying to tell me something...!). Then on the fast main road run back in to town had to stop as my pump had slipped down and began to catch my pedal. Annoying as that's a great descent and a few of us had planned a sprint finish (which I then totally missed)! Each of those I think has highlighted where I may need to concentrate some training to improve - 5-10 minute power. :cool:

my answer to all pressfit BB problems is "BSA Threaded" i'm afraid.
Not an easy solution for the majority of the popular 'off the shelf' type frames though!

What type of BB? If Shimano pressfit I would install dry, but my recommendation is always a thread together one where BSA isn't possible.
Wheelsmfg BB30-OUT so it threads together in the middle. Torque of the BB keeps it together as the cups just push in the frame and not really that tightly...

I have a brand new R7000 cassette 28-11 ratio available if your interested.
Sorry Rob missed this & ordered one!

Shouldn't be making any noise mate.

You got it tight enough?

Is the frame OK?
<snip>

Check your headset, dropouts, thru axles, bottle cage bolts and rear hub bearings.
As I've not got the wheelsmfg socket to tighten it I can't tell the torque, also don't have a torque wrench that goes up that high. Think mine tops out at 28nM. Any cheap ones you'd recommend? They're crazy expensive considering the only thing I'd use it on is BB's...! :rolleyes:

Actually refitted it at 7.15am saturday morning before a ride. Used a different 'grease' (Morgan Blue Aquaproof) that's thicker. Applied enough of it that it squished out from between cups and frame, thinking to make sure that gap is filled, then wiped the excess off. No noises on saturday, but give me a week or two to be sure I've solved it.

It's not anything else clicking. Every time I've just refitted the BB it's 'solved' for 50-150 miles. Now I have the hollowtech fitting/removal tool it'll eliminate crankarm play, but don't think it was that as think I had it tighter before... Unless that could cause it too?! I hope my frame is ok, although entirely possible I've killed it in 10,000 miles lol.

Fitting freehub bearing in a rush last night and missed the little spacer which goes between the bearings, so now gotta knock new bearings out out tonight. Really dislike hammering bearings I wanna use! :o I've also noticed a slight split on my rear wheel where a spoke has started to pull through. Annoying! Bombproof wheels, but now have a slight buckle because of it and know that'll only get worse... Gah! They've only done 4700 miles. I wonder how tricky/expensive it is to get hold of a Zipp rim. Just seems like 1 thing after another at the moment with this Diverge. I really can't afford to replace wheels or a bike at the moment. Plumbing 'problem' at home has evolved into a new bathroom and several kitchen cabinets! :o

Also weighed myself a few times the last 2 weeks and I'm around 79kg. Around 3-4kg over where I should be. Damn you lack of sleep, lack of riding & comfort food/alcohol! :rolleyes: :o

Wish me luck, off to my first sportive shortly :)
Hope it went well!

Soldato
designing flaws in from the start seems to be the in thing now.

i've half an eye on a planet x pro carbon evo disc for just this reason...
On that note...

I'm considering whether to upgrade (my Planet X London Road) and my current preference would be the Planet X Pro Carbon Evo Disc R8000 which I'd then upgrade with a £300ish replacement wheelset (maybe Hunts).

Is this a sensible way to spend £2k?

My wants list is really just discs, short seat stays (purely aesthetics), internal cable routing.

Soldato
On that note...

I'm considering whether to upgrade (my Planet X London Road) and my current preference would be the Planet X Pro Carbon Evo Disc R8000 which I'd then upgrade with a £300ish replacement wheelset (maybe Hunts).

My wants list is really just discs, short seat stays (purely aesthetics), internal cable routing.

honestly, very few things offer better outright value than a Planet X

Soldato
On that note...

Sensible, but look for end of season sales now. Few bargains going around. I was eyeing up a px frame recently and went for a Felt in the end which was 1/3rd off at wiggle for full 105(bar the Crankset and proprietary stupid aero brake). I saw the frame I was eyeing up in person last week and it was definitely not as nice as the bike I got.

Soldato
Just bung them in here. We can all give opinions then?
They were Gumtree and had specific locations so didn't really want to with personal info etc (not sure on rules), but initial two were below;

Felt AR4 (somewhat skeptical on this one)
Scott CR1 Team

The Felt is a 56 which is just on fringes of recommendations (I'm 5'9). Still keen on CX/Gravel but would also consider a roadie if 105/Ultegra (had Ultegra previously on my Planet X and don't really want to step down).

If I were going used those sort of prices are ideal and I can buy whatever extras I need. If new I've been looking £800-1000 really.

Soldato
Two different styles of bikes, I raced that exact frame with fulcrum wheels this year. I'm 5' 11" and a 56cm seems fine to me but at you're height a 54cm might suit better.

The CR1 is a more endurance geometry but not by too much. Similar age as the Felt but the Scott has older style components.

The Felt I'd be checking the front derailleur tab and guide pipe behind the chainset are secure as they love to pull the rivets out the frame.

The Scott I'd be checking to see if the seat post moves as if it's been in that far from 2012 there's a good chance it will be seized in.

Soldato
Can I get a value check too please. A friend bought this Felt Z5 (2014) some years ago, apparently for £1,400 but has only cycled about 100 miles on it, so wants to move it on to someone that will give it some use.

View attachment Rrt1uve.jpg
View attachment gE92hV7.jpg

She wants £600 for it (initially £700) and has let me use it for a week. I just took it out, seems pretty quick, got into a top 10 I've been trying to break into for some time as well as a bunch of other PR's.

I had been thinking I would spend £2-£3k when I finally went to a road bike, but this seems a good price to tide me over, see how I get on with a road bike etc before perhaps shelling out more?

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom