When was your last speeding ticket?

Soldato
Got done first time earlier in year. Sneaky buggers had parked just in front of a 40 mph sign and got me doing 38 building up; serves me right though I guess! Speed awareness course completed

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Police don't get revenue from fixed cameras anymore, but what about police vans/traps? Seems to be the majority of tickets in this thread...

Soldato
2004. Caught by a copper using a handheld laser. 97mph on the M62 between Hull and Leeds. He did have me at 117mph but it was outside the official range of the gun he was using.

He offered me 3pts and £60 for the 97 or if I took it to court he’d be looking to use the 117 (backed up by the 97) and his years of experience to get me a harsher punishment.

Associate
11-12 years ago. Fixed camera at the side of the road. Went on a speed awareness course. They even confirmed on the course that only about 20% of them had active cameras in them at the time. Not sure how true it was or whether the people running the course were trying to make us feel bad that we happened to be court on the 1 in 5 that actually had a working cameras.

Caporegime
Never had one. It's not like it's hard to not speed. Got to be an idiot to get a speeding ticket.

I've never had one.

But I just came back from the worst city on the planet (London) and I must have passed at least 30 cameras in the space of a weekend. So I'd assume it would be pretty easy for someone to get caught there if they could go over 5mph on average.

Whereas in Glasgow I pass maybe 2 in a year of usual driving. So I know where they all are as it's not hard to remember as they are so far and few between.

Soldato
I've never had one.

But I just came back from the worst city on the planet (London) and I must have passed at least 30 cameras in the space of a weekend. So I'd assume it would be pretty easy for someone to get caught there if they could go over 5mph on average.

Whereas in Glasgow I pass maybe 2 in a year of usual driving. So I know where they all are as it's not hard to remember as they are so far and few between.

I'm guessing there are speed limit signs on these roads so why does it matter how many cameras there are.

Caporegime
I'm guessing there are speed limit signs on these roads so why does it matter how many cameras there are.

Because believe it or not, not everybody spends their whole time driving looking at their speedo. And not everyone drives boring cars where it doesn't matter if you slightly hit the accelerator it won't make it move any faster anyway.

It's quite easy to go above the speed limit without even realising as a lot of roads can have stupidly low limits and guess what not all of them are sign posted.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Because believe it or not, not everybody spends their whole time driving looking at their speedo. And not everyone drives boring cars where it doesn't matter if you slightly hit the accelerator it won't make it move any faster anyway.

It's quite easy to go above the speed limit without even realising as a lot of roads can have stupidly low limits and guess what not all of them are sign posted.

and yet a number of us here have avoided ever being caught, and let's face it, any car currently sold can break UK speed limits. Just requires a modicum of self control.

Soldato
and yet a number of us here have avoided ever being caught, and let's face it, any car currently sold can break UK speed limits. Just requires a modicum of self control.
I think we are in the minority. I really don't get the "it's easy to speed".
I think it's easy not to speed.

Caporegime

I've never been caught either however there is a stretch of road where had I not noticed the blues and twos parked on it regularly would never know it is a 30. And guess what they have done several people on it every time they park up on it they are pulling someone over. I before I saw them could easily have went 50 on this road as it has 4 lanes 2 going either way long straight and a big metal barrier in the middle. There are no homes on either side of the road just fields. In fact I'm sure i've probably done more than double the limit on the road as well.

So I can see how someone could get caught out very easily.

The reason why not a lot get caught on here is because this forum is full of nerds. Go to somewhere like pistonheads or a car club and ask the same question.

Man of Honour
I got caught in 86 doing about 40 in 30 and had a ticking off by the officers but no points. After then i've never been caught because i don't speed since that first time.

My daughter was Special a few years back, she got me doing 24 in a 30.. It was her first few times with a speed gun :D

Soldato
I think we are in the minority. I really don't get the "it's easy to speed".
I think it's easy not to speed.

The sensation of speed is the key. Lots of modern cars are quite numb/dull and you don't feel the speed, it's easy to get carried away.

In something low down, compact and noisy, high speeds are pretty scary and you don't WANT to do it all the time. 100mph in a Merc feels like nothing. But in a Caterham the passenger will need brown pants. When you can see how quickly the road is moving by (and almost reach it) it's a completely different sensation :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The sensation of speed is the key. Lots of modern cars are quite numb/dull and you don't feel the speed, it's easy to get carried away.

In something low down, compact and noisy, high speeds are pretty scary and you don't WANT to do it all the time. 100mph in a Merc feels like nothing. But in a Caterham the passenger will need brown pants. When you can see how quickly the road is moving by (and almost reach it) it's a completely different sensation :p

Mines an almost brand new car. Still don't struggle to not speed.

Back
Top Bottom