Ships under attack in the middle east

Associate
Heh, the US State Dept sent an email to the Captain of the Iranian tanker offering him millions of dollars to sail the ship somewhere they could seize it :D

He ignored the email and so they put sanctions on him personally when they blacklisted the ship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49589075

It was probably caught in his spam filter :p

He probably thought it was Prince Nigerian Scammer again

Soldato
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49619152

We can assure you its definitely not heading to Syria!
I wonder if the Gibraltarians were actually dumb enough to believe Iran when they promised not to sail it to Syria, or whether they saw straight through it like the rest of us but they just didn't care because the paperwork was all in order so nobody could (legally) blame them.

On another note, it would be funny if the mystery buyer who Iran sold the ship and it's cargo too at the end of August turned out to be Syria, I mean talk about getting politically out manoeuvred xD

Man of Honour
I doubt they trusted them. But unlike Iran, Gibraltar isn't going to use terrorism to get it's point across and follows the law.

Yeah - Gibraltar went through the motions of the letter of the law seemingly - not a good move on Iran's part though as if there is a next time it gives whatever EU country a basis for not returning the ship or goods.

Caporegime
Yeah - Gibraltar went through the motions of the letter of the law seemingly - not a good move on Iran's part though as if there is a next time it gives whatever EU country a basis for not returning the ship or goods.

I wonder if it was testing the waters on purpose, i mean they could easily have just stayed in International waters all the way through the strait.

Much like how Russia enjoys pinging UK airspace with nuclear armed bombers, that if given the time could annihilate at least Hull or Thanet (please).

Soldato
Apparantly we are going to mention this at the next UN summit, a strong response for blatant deception and what will amount to loss of civilian lives from the use of the oil.

Where has everyone condemning the seizure of the tanker disappeared too? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Apparantly we are going to mention this at the next UN summit, a strong response for blatant deception and what will amount to loss of civilian lives from the use of the oil.

Where has everyone condemning the seizure of the tanker disappeared too? :rolleyes:
How about that the war in Syria would have barely even got started without our meddling and interference? Assad would have had it wrapped up years ago but for the fact that we (the West) tried to arm the insurgents and cause the revolution.

Knowing that we'd probably end up with an islamic republic in Syria.

How about next time we don't want mass civilian casualties we stop trying to create civil wars, eh? Iran can sell its oil to whomever it likes. None of our business to be frank.

Man of Honour
How about that the war in Syria would have barely even got started without our meddling and interference? Assad would have had it wrapped up years ago but for the fact that we (the West) tried to arm the insurgents and cause the revolution.

Knowing that we'd probably end up with an islamic republic in Syria.

How about next time we don't want mass civilian casualties we stop trying to create civil wars, eh? Iran can sell its oil to whomever it likes. None of our business to be frank.

Or maybe next time we go whole hog instead of dithering about.

Caporegime
Or maybe next time we go whole hog instead of dithering about.
What gives us the right to overthrow a sovereign country like Syria? He has (and has always had) a large body of support amongst the native Syrians.

Most of the "rebels" were foreign fighters brought in from outside Syria as I'm sure you know.

Man of Honour
What gives us the right to overthrow a sovereign country like Syria? He has (and has always had) a large body of support amongst the native Syrians.

Most of the "rebels" were foreign fighters brought in from outside Syria as I'm sure you know.

It is worth watching some of the footage from the early days of Aleppo, etc. much of the initial uprising was students and the likes lightly armed - the hardened, better equipped, fighters, often foreign, came later.

The fact is no matter how much support Assad might have had and I suspect a lot of what he did was with good intentions there were also a lot of people being repressed and other unconscionable acts going on under the government's name.

That some capitalised on the situation is pretty evident but a lot of the problems with Syria boiled down to the inevitable long term consequences of the country opening its arms to refugees from all over the ME escaping from other wars and unrest.

Personally I don't think any country in this day and age has a right to enact archaic rules and with people living under repression, etc. and as a civilisation we should be doing something about it :s

Caporegime
Heh, the US State Dept sent an email to the Captain of the Iranian tanker offering him millions of dollars to sail the ship somewhere they could seize it :D

He ignored the email and so they put sanctions on him personally when they blacklisted the ship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49589075

It was probably caught in his spam filter :p
The US is trying to destroy Iran and making no secret of it.

I really don't understand how this is deemed acceptable.

How can anybody believe we are the "good guys" when we start wars, start insurgencies in foreign countries to effect regime change, attempt to destroy countries we are not at war with.

And not always for any other reason than economics.

I find it crazy that people will condemn the designated "enemies" of the west, ignoring that it is our own actions that perpetuate the hostility and feed the cycle of violence.

How many times now have we stuck our noses in and just made everything worse.

It's ironic considering the "humanitarian" angle that people keep banging on about, how we've often made the lives of the people in those countries far worse than before we started interfering. Libya says hi.

That some capitalised on the situation is pretty evident but a lot of the problems with Syria boiled down to the inevitable long term consequences of the country opening its arms to refugees from all over the ME escaping from other wars and unrest.
A lot of which we're also involved with or have contributed to.

Man of Honour
The US is trying to destroy Iran and making no secret of it.

I really don't understand how this is deemed acceptable.

How can anybody believe we are the "good guys" when we start wars, start insurgencies in foreign countries to effect regime change, attempt to destroy countries we are not at war with.

And not always for any other reason than economics.

I find it crazy that people will condemn the designated "enemies" of the west, ignoring that it is our own actions that perpetuate the hostility and feed the cycle of violence.

How many times now have we stuck our noses in and just made everything worse.

It's ironic considering the "humanitarian" angle that people keep banging on about, how we've often made the lives of the people in those countries far worse than before we started interfering. Libya says hi.

A lot of which we're also involved with or have contributed to.

It is something I think is very wrong - but I don't personally believe that the existence many people in these countries are living in, before or after these wars, is at all right in this day and age.

Caporegime
It is something I think is very wrong - but I don't personally believe that the existence many people in these countries are living in, before or after these wars, is at all right in this day and age.
That fair enough, but the evidence suggests we are just not helping with our military efforts.

Perhaps we should be cooperating and building trust rather than undermining and seeding conflict.

Which is not to say we're responsible, just that we aren't helping. And we're enshrining bad relations with many of these countries, and even their people.

It will be decades before many of these places see the US/UK as anything but a hostile foreign power.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
It is worth watching some of the footage from the early days of Aleppo, etc. much of the initial uprising was students and the likes lightly armed - the hardened, better equipped, fighters, often foreign, came later.
That's how it starts. Look at Egypt, Libya.

Back
Top Bottom