NCD 9 years + annoyed at myself

Soldato
I've just renewed my car insurance and I just noticed that my last couple NCD certificates, from my insurers since 2017, have been saying 9 years.

It only clicked today seeing it on CompareTheMarket and thinking about it, that I have owned my own cars for 12 years with no claims, so that is what my NCD should be based on.

Reading around, I now understand that most insurers cap the NCD at 9 years, but others account for more, not that it makes a huge defference in £££ - maybe 5%/£20 or so.

Is there any point in the effort going back to past insurers asking them to amend the NCD certificates for 2017 and 2018 to show the correct years accrued, regardless of whether they count it or no? Or do I just suck it up just accept the three lost years?

Caporegime
I've never found much difference between 9 and any higher number.

Currently with AXA and have a renewal letter with 12 years stated on it, so at least I now know of an insurer that states more than 9.

Soldato
If you have X years accrued, but then go with an insurer who only recognises fewer than this, when you get your NCD from them at the end of the year, will they only give you the lesser number of years they recognise, thus costing you the additional ones you had?

(Does that even makes sense? :D )

Soldato
OP
If you have X years accrued, but then go with an insurer who only recognises fewer than this, when you get your NCD from them at the end of the year, will they only give you the lesser number of years they recognise, thus costing you the additional ones you had?

(Does that even makes sense? :D )

Yes, that seems what happened to me, although in reality, it does not automatically mean a higher premium because after 9 years, the additional discount is small.

Man of Honour
Does anyone find it actually makes much difference? on my quotes it has rarely been more than a couple of £ a year or so.

Soldato
OP
Thread revival; I wrote to both Tesco and Lloyds, and was pleasantly surprised at recently receiving corrected NCD letters with the correct years accrued. Some good customer service!

Back
Top Bottom