• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS is Dead?

Permabanned
Having seen DLSS I did wonder whether it would die off pretty quick. I mean DLSS really does work in the sense that the increase in framerate is staggering .... but the loss of quality is equally staggering. I guess though it's useful if you have a slider so you can basically tweak it to suit your monitor, achieving the right balance of framerate/quality that you want, but to me it just seemed stupid to rant on about something that essentially was a tweak for cards that couldn't achieve the necessary performance required when surely the next generation of cards would. NVIDIA would do just as well to implement a quality slider for games and forget DLSS altogether.

Associate
Having seen DLSS I did wonder whether it would die off pretty quick. I mean DLSS really does work in the sense that the increase in framerate is staggering .... but the loss of quality is equally staggering. I guess though it's useful if you have a slider so you can basically tweak it to suit your monitor, achieving the right balance of framerate/quality that you want, but to me it just seemed stupid to rant on about something that essentially was a tweak for cards that couldn't achieve the necessary performance required when surely the next generation of cards would. NVIDIA would do just as well to implement a quality slider for games and forget DLSS altogether.

Come off it no one can say the loss of quality is staggering with dlss inabled

Soldato
Report on DLSS's death have been greatly exaggerated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/d1c6nf/control_dlss_freestyle_sharpening_filter_3440_x/

CMDR_DrDeath on Nvidia reddit had done an amazing job on follow up to previous Control image quality so this time he done comparison between 3440x1080 native, 3440x1440 native and Nvidia DLSS with new Freestyle sharpening in Control.

https://imgur.com/a/MpzrQrh

View attachment qu5AA1J.jpg

I created GIF with 3 images 1440 native, 1440 native with new Freestyle sharpening and DLSS High with new Freestyle sharpening.

UeBbRdm.gif

Actually I am shocked how poor 3440X1080 native image quality is, DLSS with new Freestyle had put 1080 native resolution to shame. It seemed DLSS combined with new Freestyle filter will make it almost look as good as 3440X1080 native without sharpening.

Damn impressive!

Permabanned
Come off it no one can say the loss of quality is staggering with dlss inabled

Really? I think it is. I mean its terrible. I tried MHW on a 4K monitor and I thought it was horrible. Even with the sharpness turned right up it was very blurry. I mean why bother to buy a 4K monitor if you are basically using high tech to reduce the picture to 2k? But having said that, if you think it's good then by all means use it. I am just a bit surprised. Maybe I sit closer to my monitor or something. Or maybe you should go to Specsavers!! I guess everyone will have their own opinion.

Permabanned

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/d1c6nf/control_dlss_freestyle_sharpening_filter_3440_x/

CMDR_DrDeath on Nvidia reddit had done an amazing job on follow up to previous Control image quality so this time he done comparison between 3440x1080 native, 3440x1440 native and Nvidia DLSS with new Freestyle sharpening in Control.

I created GIF with 3 images 1440 native, 1440 native with new Freestyle sharpening and DLSS High with new Freestyle sharpening.

UeBbRdm.gif

Actually I am shocked how poor 3440X1080 native image quality is, DLSS with new Freestyle had put 1080 native resolution to shame. It seemed DLSS combined with new Freestyle filter will make it almost look as good as 3440X1080 native without sharpening.

Damn impressive!

Try it on Monster Hunter. It's not at all impressive. But I am very interested to see if they can improve it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Really? I think it is. I mean its terrible. I tried MHW on a 4K monitor and I thought it was horrible. Even with the sharpness turned right up it was very blurry. I mean why bother to buy a 4K monitor if you are basically using high tech to reduce the picture to 2k? But having said that, if you think it's good then by all means use it. I am just a bit surprised. Maybe I sit closer to my monitor or something. Or maybe you should go to Specsavers!! I guess everyone will have their own opinion.
He just cannot fathom why others are not seeing what he is seeing. Even though he has been told most people play on monitors and not TV’s from over a meter away which makes a difference. Not just that but with DLSS they have a couple of good implementations, but the rest are utter crap.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I hate playing on my 32" monitor compared to my TV, it's like going from low to ultra settings it's crazy.
1440p is not on the same level as 4K. People are slowly starting to see this.

Also if your TV is an OLED it will be a better display than any other monitor on the market imo.

Soldato
1440p is not on the same level as 4K. People are slowly starting to see this.

Also if your TV is an OLED it will be a better display than any other monitor on the market imo.

I've got a Samsung NU7400 and MU6400. No OLED level but damn nice quality screen, just all monitors seem to look cack, aside from Cities Skylines I tend to game console style as a result of this.

Associate

UeBbRdm.gif

Damn impressive!
Turns out Control doesn't use tensor cores for DLSS so it isn't DLSS really but some temporal upscaling.
Which means it doesn't work in motion and could be used on any GPU not just Turing most likely.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've got a Samsung NU7400 and MU6400. No OLED level but damn nice quality screen, just all monitors seem to look cack, aside from Cities Skylines I tend to game console style as a result of this.
I am happy with my monitor and happily game on it. Best monitor I have ever had after calibration. Much better than any 1440p or ultrawide monitor for image quality. But I know once I get a OLED TV in the near future it will be on another level.

Associate
I am happy with my monitor and happily game on it. Best monitor I have ever had after calibration. Much better than any 1440p or ultrawide monitor for image quality. But I know once I get a OLED TV in the near future it will be on another level.
Modern TV's are nice but still can't compare to a good gaming monitors when it comes to input lag.
I guess it depends what ones priorities are big screen with nice colours and proper blacks or input latency...
For me it's the latency that matters most and that is why I prefer gaming on a PC rather than consoles.
I do have PS4 Pro for those exclusives tho.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Modern TV's are nice but still can't compare to a good gaming monitors when it comes to input lag.
I guess it depends what ones priorities are big screen with nice colours and proper blacks or input latency...
For me it's the latency that matters most and that is why I prefer gaming on a PC rather than consoles.
I do have PS4 Pro for those exclusives tho.
True. Latency does not bother me much as I don’t play online, so image quality all the way.

Back
Top Bottom