Best Handheld Ever - Opinions?

Associate
Personally I think the Game Boy is the obvious answer. That said over the years I really loved the DS/DSi system and some of it's games. For me a more innovative system that has a games library that in depth and quality rivals it predecessor. The PSP, PS Vita, Game Gear et al haven't come close to Nintendo's handheld machines.

Soldato
My first thought would be the original Gameboy for pretty much creating the handheld/portable category (or being the first successful one). I do have a soft spot for my Nintendo DS lite though which I think massively improved the form factor by adding dual displays and touch.

The Switch is definitely up there for actually providing a current-gen experience console that's also portable. Every other portable has been massively underpowered compared to home consoles of the time. Ergonomically I'm not a massive fan of it in portable mode but I'm sure we'll get a revised Switch Lite/etc in another year or two.

I can't decide but if pushed to choose I'd have to go with the original!

The PSP for me, especially as now they are so cheap and easy to play non-psp games on.

I did like the original Gameboy though and the Gameboy Advance, the latter though could have done with a better screen from the off!

Soldato
Ive a modded Vita, which I'm enjoying at the moment. Does everything I need well and has nice controls. Dual analogue sticks makes a big difference over PSP. Stock, the game and memory card formats make it really unattractive to me.

The original game boy is top in terms of influence. I don't have one, but a backlit GBA looks like it it would be the best way to enjoy Game Boy games to me. I never got on with the screen or form factor.

Sega really had the right idea with the Nomad IMO, but as with the Game Gear, battery life was a killer. If Li-Ion was around back then, it would have been great :)

Soldato
I still have a lot of love for the lynx too

The conversions of Atari classics to a portable platform at the time were really good and had some great games in its catalogue

Blue lightning
Awesome Golf
Warbirds
Switchblade 2
Hard Drivin
Chequered Flag
California Games
Batman Returns
Roadblasters
Electro Cop

Soldato
Original Gameboy for me - Went everywhere with me when I was growing up, and had a huge catalogue of games, and gave me access to a lot of ports from other consoles that I wouldn't have otherwise played as didn't have any other consoles at the time.

Mario land 2, Wario Land 1/2, Kirby's Pinball Land, Pokemon Blue, Zelda Link's Awakening, Desert/Jungle Strike, Race Days, Mortal Kombat 2
This really. I remember cycling down to Dixons in Chelmsford in '89 and then banging Tetris for hours and hours. Game was a revelation with a friend and the link cable.

... and in a few minutes time I'm about to walk down to Currys PC world and pick up a Switch lite :)

Soldato
You won't regret the switch, I was on the fence for over a year and snapped on up and now constantly on it lol
You need the Zelda remake it's AMAZING

Remembered one of my favourite Gameboy games, Motorcross Maniacs :D

If I am honest the biggest memories I have are of the original Gameboy too despite owning most of the consoles, Tetris link play on buses for school trips, Kirby's Dreamland for hours to complete it in parents car, track meet at Butlins and my nan bought me dk land 2 for Xmas one year, was incredible!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom