*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
OP
If you like Touch ID, they’ll be some great deals on iPhone 8 shortly.

Not bothered at all, Face ID is fine. I just didn’t upgrade to a X or XS because I didn’t need a new phone. My wife is on a 5S which is getting a bit long in the tooth so I will be passing this one down to her.

Associate
Speaking of the iPhone 8.
Anybody expecting a new SE with the latest design will be surely disappointed.
Latest rumours are it’ll just be an iPhone 8 with upgrade internals, to be announced next spring.

Im bothered that I’m losing Touch ID, should I upgrade this year. Would be nice to have both but meh, but with the rumoured upgrades to Face ID it should be fine.

Associate
So, a non-innovative launch then.

How about TB ports on new phones with breakout external GPU / touchscreen, then everybody would have a reason to have a ‘faster’ phone as it would then replace home / work pc.

Work would only have to provide the screen keyboard setup. Most modern phones far outstrip the requirements for most work pc’s

fez

fez

Caporegime
So, a non-innovative launch then.

How about TB ports on new phones with breakout external GPU / touchscreen, then everybody would have a reason to have a ‘faster’ phone as it would then replace home / work pc.

Work would only have to provide the screen keyboard setup. Most modern phones far outstrip the requirements for most work pc’s

What? This is an awful idea. iOS isn't a desktop OS and they have just broken iPadOS off from iOS because iOS is a poor experience on iPad let alone a full on workstation.

Add to that the cost of a proper dGPU and enclosure and you have dropped the best part of 2 grand for a crap PC. There is a good reason most people can't use even an iPad as their sole work computer.

Man of Honour
This could be the first iPhone I haven't bought

The reason to upgrade has got less and less each year. A CPU bump and a better camera just doesn't cut it any more. XS Max has been perfect for me, so unless they pull something out the bag, I'll skip this year

Soldato
This could be interesting for me, I'm really into my raspberry pi at the moment and I've offloaded a load of software that was on my MBP onto that. I've got to the point where I feel I don't need a laptop anymore and I'm tempted to swap it for an iPad Pro! New models of those might be announced as well tonight right?

As for phones, I've posted my P3 off to Google today to be replaced. I'm tempted to sell the replacement as soon as it's delivered but the money will probably be going towards a P4XL rather than an iPhone.

Soldato
Agreed. The XS Max is truly a brilliant phone and I'm more than happy with it.

But if I can save a few quid getting this years model (assuming it's cheaper per month vs the 256GB XS Max) I'll debate it. It has to be special though as I feel it's next year that'll have me excited

Associate
This could be the first iPhone I haven't bought

The reason to upgrade has got less and less each year. A CPU bump and a better camera just doesn't cut it any more. XS Max has been perfect for me, so unless they pull something out the bag, I'll skip this year

I swear you say something like this every year then come the announcement you swing the other way.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I swear you say something like this every year then come the announcement you swing the other way.

Apple are ******* good at getting you excited for an unexciting product. Every year I want the new iPhone after the presentation and about 3 weeks later I couldn't care less.

I'm on an X here and I don't have any desire to upgrade it. Its a beast of a phone and I love it.

I genuinely think Apple have known that they are running on vapours when it comes to real innovation and tech bumps for a few years and thats why we saw the massive price hike on the X. They could make a reasonable case for the X being a true, new generation of phone with a top camera, lovely screen and size along with faceID which is amazing. Last years iPhone updates were uninspiring and so will this years. They have set the price for the flagship and they can now say that they are selling their flagship for the same price, year after year until they have another leap to justify a price hike.

I paid £550 for a good condition X just over a year ago now and I will probably have it for another year at least. Thats good value to me.

Soldato
Yeah they do. Their presentations always make me more interested than I am then I get the handset and I'm like "Oh, it's more of the same".

With the 7+ to the X I was impressed by the new technology and the whole screen made it look like a huge upgrade.
went from the X to the XS Max just because I missed having a bigger phone.

Right now the XS Max is perfect

Soldato
Yeah they do. Their presentations always make me more interested than I am then I get the handset and I'm like "Oh, it's more of the same".

I watched the Note 10 presentation and got quite excited, even though the logical part of my brain knew the tech was completely incremental. A couple of weeks later and the logical part of my brain is in full control and I know that the Note 10+ is basically an S10+ with an S-Pen that I would never use.

Soldato
I watched the Note 10 presentation and got quite excited, even though the logical part of my brain knew the tech was completely incremental. A couple of weeks later and the logical part of my brain is in full control and I know that the Note 10+ is basically an S10+ with an S-Pen that I would never use.

I didn't watch the presentation but all the tech reviewers who I like who reviewed the 10+ made me really excited about that phone, even though I'm not an Android user. Samsung and the other leading Androids manufactures are going to have Apple under pressure. They seem to add so many tiny little features. Some sticks, others fail. But they at least seem to be trying.

Apple's last good feature which I thought was innovative and that I like was 3D touch and they're binning that.

Soldato
I'm not sure if I can watch the Apple event.

Shaved 0.1g from the weight, crowd go wild, made the phone 0.1% bigger, crowd go wild, add $200 to the price, crowd go wild, you get the idea... :p

Soldato
I was just joking with my friend about that. Apple could murder your parents and steal your first born child and the audience would still find something to applaud

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not sure if I can watch the Apple event.

Shaved 0.1g from the weight, crowd go wild, made the phone 0.1% bigger, crowd go wild, add $200 to the price, crowd go wild, you get the idea... :p

You're forgetting the most important 15 minutes of the whole thing. The latest ******* emojis. Does my head in when that sort of crap gets time in any sort of presentation. I don't care. Not even a little. Anyone who uses more than one emoji sequentially is an idiot and if you are using emojis instead of works you are a *****.

Soldato
Apple's last good feature which I thought was innovative and that I like was 3D touch and they're binning that.

I really like 3D Touch. I hardly ever use it, but for some reason I'm very fond of it. Once it's gone I'll be sad, but will not notice it's loss in the day to day use of my phone.

Back
Top Bottom